• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Enneagram] Character and Neurosis - An Integrative View

How do you rate this book?

• * (worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ***** (best)

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
d91de03ae7a099b293600210.L.jpg

This book by Claudio Naranjo is one of the seminal books on the Enneagram. With chapters like "Envy and Depressive Masochistic Character (type 4)", "Gluttony, Fraudulence and Narcissistic Personality (type 7)" and "Pride and The Histrionic Personality (type 2)", this book doesn't pull any punches on the fixations of each type. As often seems to be the case with innovators in their field, Naranjo communicates a depth of insight on the types that goes beyond what is found in other works. Reading a chapter a second and third time reveals new understanding as there are layers upon layers of meaning in the content. It is as if the author, who knows a great deal more than they are communicating, is trying to pull out and distill a set of key insights or points for a broader audience to understand. Because of this attempt to dumb it down, you miss several nuances and points the first time you read it. It isn't light reading but I highly recommend this book.

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only reason I don't give it 5 is my personal bias towards the practical. The book will appeal more to types that appreciate theoretical and conceptual content.

Last edited:

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Naranjo is sometimes criticized for his take-no-prisoners approach in describing the most neurotic versions of each type, but I found that Character and Neurosis rather remarkably scraped away the bullshit that had accreted in my mind around the types.

It's also helpful to know that Naranjo is a psychiatrist and has used his insights to really get inside the processes happening inside one's mind. You will see yourself on these pages; and the author will touch upon those weird little psychological perceptions you've never told anyone. It doesn't make for light reading, so you may wish to read it after you've already acquainted yourself with the enneagram.

The book does indeed veer away from the practical, as the author cites many--sometimes dull--psychiatric precedents in his general introductions of the types. However, if one reads the "Trait Structure" sections, it will immeasurably broaden your perspective of what lies behind each type. Naranjo, thank God, gets beyond behavior-based descriptions that are the cause of so much mistyping mayhem.

Best of all, most of this book can be found reprinted online. Strongly recommended for those who wish to broaden their knowledge of this system beyond the standard Wisdom of the Enneagram and Personality Types. This book will alter your perceptions of MANY of the types. Five stars!

Little_Sticks

It's the only one I've found theoretically unambiguous. He used his experience and explained the nuances in a way that made sense. I guess that means I adopted his way of looking at enneagram then, but he kept things simple and yet explained the core neurosis of each type in a way that allowed me to understand how certain types related, but more importantly, where he drew a line on how they differed and why. This was a lot more insightful to me compared to explanations that focus on how the types are only different because then there are too many ambiguities on how they relate. And he had plenty of examples of different people to relate his abstract ideas back to reality, which is nice because he was able to share his experiences of being a psychiatrist, sharing the benefits of lots of effort put into trying to understand people through the filter of the enneagram.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
"Pride and Histrionic Personality Disorder" is type 2, not type 6

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
"Pride and Histrionic Personality Disorder" is type 2, not type 6

Whoops :). But of course you are right. OP changed.

frezekiel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
d91de03ae7a099b293600210.L.jpg

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only reason I don't give it 5 is my personal bias towards the practical. The book will appeal more to types that appreciate theoretical and conceptual content.

Wow, thank you, Highlander, for recommending this book. It is now one of my favorites.

I can't believe how in-depth it is while still being very readable and accessible.

My only disagreement with you is giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I guess you had a compelling reason to do so, but I have to give this book 5 stars. :thumbup:

frezekiel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Naranjo is sometimes criticized for his take-no-prisoners approach in describing the most neurotic versions of each type, but I found that Character and Neurosis rather remarkably scraped away the bullshit that had accreted in my mind around the types.

It's also helpful to know that Naranjo is a psychiatrist and has used his insights to really get inside the processes happening inside one's mind. You will see yourself on these pages; and the author will touch upon those weird little psychological perceptions you've never told anyone. It doesn't make for light reading, so you may wish to read it after you've already acquainted yourself with the enneagram.

The book does indeed veer away from the practical, as the author cites many--sometimes dull--psychiatric precedents in his general introductions of the types. However, if one reads the "Trait Structure" sections, it will immeasurably broaden your perspective of what lies behind each type. Naranjo, thank God, gets beyond behavior-based descriptions that are the cause of so much mistyping mayhem.

Best of all, most of this book can be found reprinted online. Strongly recommended for those who wish to broaden their knowledge of this system beyond the standard Wisdom of the Enneagram and Personality Types. This book will alter your perceptions of MANY of the types. Five stars!

Yes, I agree 100%

This book is outstanding, and highly recommended. :thumbup: