• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI] Was That Really Me?: How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality

How do you rate this book?

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wrm.jpg

There are a lot of books that describe the various personality types but most don't offer a unique twist on the subject "Was That Really Me" is a fascinating book. It includes detailed information on how the inferior function manifests in each of the 16 MBTI types. It describes how at times we fall "into the grip" of our inferior function. During these episodes, we become a different person than we typically are - specifically a bad version of our opposite. For example, the logical, efficient and focused ESTJ loses their ability to think logically, is prone to outbursts of emotion, feels unappreciated and become overly sensitive to criticism to others. The INTJ loses sight of the big picture, becomes overly focused on specific details and attempt to control everything around them. Looking at it a different way, the INFP when in the grip, turns into an extremely poor or dis-functional version of the ESTJ. This is all somewhat associated with Jung's concept of the shadow. There is gold in the shadow though. Engaging in these episodes helps us to break out of the way we typically think and supports our personal growth towards a greater balanced use of the cogintive functions.

I learned a lot reading this book and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Online excerpts from this book were what helped me determine that I was painfully obviously Si-inferior. I would never have guessed I was an extrovert otherwise.

I look forward to one day reading this book in its entirety.

Whoever thought up the idea for a book review section is reading my mind! So many things I want to share!!!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd also highly recommend the book.

Figuring out I was Fe inferior actually helped me clarify my type for better or for worse.

And yay for a book review subforum.

rav3n

It's really helpful when trying to self-type. The only unfortunate part is that she doesn't address each type individually where differing tert functions can heavily impact.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
My life starts to feel like Im wrapped inside a blanket and being pushed around. Is that about right with Ni inferior?

á´…eparted

passages
I read through other types I suspect I could be. They fit in some respects, but miss the core issues. When I read about how ENFJ's function, it gets the core issues. Oh man that is definitely me. I think it's definitely fair to say at this point that I am ENFJ. The summary nails it.

Seeing how folks dissolve down is really useful in determining type. I mean, enneagram uses that as a basis for the theory, so it only makes sense that MBTI should apply it in some capacity as well.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Like Jung used to say, sometimes two functions vie for prominence, making it hard to discern the lead function. He said the key to typing someone was to observe their inferior. That's why Naomi Quenck's book is so illuminating.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like Jung used to say, sometimes two functions vie for prominence, making it hard to discern the lead function. He said the key to typing someone was to observe their inferior. That's why Naomi Quenck's book is so illuminating.

That's interesting. I never heard that before.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea I liked this book a lot. 5 stars

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I bought it on Amazon because it was like a dollar and some change. It nailed me pretty well too. Made me slightly uncomfortable, really.

I wanted to learn about my INFP boyfriend's 'darker' side as well in order to know better how to help out, but it didn't explain that part enough in my view. Only how it can manifest and possibly see what's happening. Maybe I missed something...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hands down the best ESTJ description I have ever read -- and the only one where I have deeply related to every. single. sentence.

Would recommend to anyone who's interested enough in the MBTI that they'd want to read a book about it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will probably order and read a copy soon. I have found excerpts online to be very illuminating.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like the book fine, but suspect it works best for people whose enneagram type is consonant with their MBTI type. I found that I related more to the NT "in the grip" descriptions than I did to the NF "in the grip" descriptions. I think that makes some sense given my enneagram type.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the book fine, but suspect it works best for people whose enneagram type is consonant with their MBTI type. I found that I related more to the NT "in the grip" descriptions than I did to the NF "in the grip" descriptions. I think that makes some sense given my enneagram type.

I found the IxFP description VERY enneagram 9 heavy. The basic concepts apply though. I relate as much to the Ti and Ni descriptions, both in describing the grip scenarios and the general type. If I didnt know better, then besides the "J" parts about INFJs, I'd probably identify as INFJ just based on the info here.

The parts about INFPs and cleaning and organizing to de-stress as related to inferior Te was :huh: . I show more inferior sensing when it comes to ways I de-stress. I'm indulgent (food, drink, retail therapy, sleeping, etc) and/or find it soothing to stop thinking and just absorb details in the atmosphere for once.

I read something interesting on this website: The Impact of 'S-N Blindness' on the Distribution of MBTI Types Across the Enneazones
It criticizes certain enneagram and Jungian type correlations and proposes another view.

This is what it says about INFPs:
....we would conjecture that INFPs that gravitate toward zone 9 are being pulled there by their inferior fourth function (thinking) which they share with ISFPs, who are also pulled there; while INFPs who gravitate toward 4 will be pulled there by their underdeveloped third function and have issues that are more similar to the INFJ's inferior sensing...

Basically, INFP e4s tend to be quite weak on Si, as a major aspect of being e4 is weak sensing. This is not sensing as some imagine, as 4s may be asethetes and have a special connection to sensory experiences because of heightened feeling. But sensing here means being grounded in factual experience (closer to Jung's meaning), which 4s are not, instead being caught up in fantasies and distorted emotional interpretations. This may create similarities with INFP's "in the grip" secnarios with those of INFJs.

What this would mean for INFP 5s....I would guess that there would still be inferior Te insecurity over competency and harsh criticism towards oneself (and others). But while 9s may have more insecurity over being organized and logical in their thinking, I imagine INFP 5s may have more insecurity regarding meeting social protocol, almost a faux inferior Fe; aka, the way they measure up to impersonal Te standards in terms of being highly productive, energetic, and gregarious. There is also a Te valuing of Feeling which says it has its place as some sort of feminine role, and Fi (especially in a 5) doesnt really fit that. So one still experiences inferior Te as popping up to undermine, which is the main theme to me for Fi-doms - Te very directly undermines Fi, more than other types' inferiors undermine them, because of the very nature of Fi and Te thinking.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Where did Jung say this?

Chesire Tower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this book to be extremely helpful. Realizing that I couldn't be anything other than inferior Se, really helped me to figure out my type.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read the INTP and ENTP inferior functions, and both seemed to line up with me...