User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Default How do SPs stay engaged and focused in the long term?

Hello and thank you to anyone who responds. The SPs are supposed to love novelty, but how do you stay focused and engaged when you have a desire to do something that requires one to go in-depth with a subject, skill-set, etc? What in your life have you gone deep with? Thank you again to anyone who responds.
    "My wish is to stay always like this, living quietly in a corner of nature." - Claude Monet
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I have gone to thorough lengths in music and to a lesser extent other areas in the arts. It has to do with activities that I enjoy experiencing and find meaning in doing. When I create something I like, it gives me a feeling of peace, of personal value, of meaning, of happiness. That provides a reward to inspire me to try again.

External pressure shuts me down rather quickly, so it makes it difficult to find a place in the world. I don't really want a high level, competitive job because that deters my creativity. Instead I end up doing the simplest, lowest pressure, lowest status job within my field because then all my nervous energy can be directed towards my own intentions and activities. The problem is that it doesn't result in "success" the same way others think of it and also not much income.

Edit: Also the creative arts have that sense of exploration and novelty built right in. If I need to explore a new direction, I use the tools I have to go down any path that strikes me.
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL
    Likes Generalist, LittleCat, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    I have gone to thorough lengths in music and to a lesser extent other areas in the arts. It has to do with activities that I enjoy experiencing and find meaning in doing. When I create something I like, it gives me a feeling of peace, of personal value, of meaning, of happiness. That provides a reward to inspire me to try again.

External pressure shuts me down rather quickly, so it makes it difficult to find a place in the world. I don't really want a high level, competitive job because that deters my creativity. Instead I end up doing the simplest, lowest pressure, lowest status job within my field because then all my nervous energy can be directed towards my own intentions and activities. The problem is that it doesn't result in "success" the same way others think of it and also not much income.

Edit: Also the creative arts have that sense of exploration and novelty built right in. If I need to explore a new direction, I use the tools I have to go down any path that strikes me.
    Thank you for the reply. So what have you been up to music wise? The arts do have their rewards. Even just as a hobby, practicing an art or a craft is enjoyable and therapeutic, but it can still be work, especially if you are serious about it, so do you ever have trouble getting started? What else does a musician do to relax? Thanks again.
    "My wish is to stay always like this, living quietly in a corner of nature." - Claude Monet
    Likes Ravenetta, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Generalist View Post
    Thank you for the reply. So what have you been up to music wise? The arts do have their rewards. Even just as a hobby, practicing an art or a craft is enjoyable and therapeutic, but it can still be work, especially if you are serious about it, so do you ever have trouble getting started? What else does a musician do to relax? Thanks again.
    I went through many years of school and music is my profession, but I approach it differently that other classical musicians because I do a wider variety of things with less perfection and complexity because I do need more variety than one instrument that I play 10-20 hours a week. I also write songs and sing, and compose other types of things. I sometimes draw, always wish I could get going to learn dance (I keep starting it), and I will sometimes write poetry.

My one absolute go-to is walking or sitting in nature. My entire life I do this almost every day when I can and almost can't live without it. I'm not sporty or structured, though, but more like an animal just sitting and looking around.
    It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Generalist liked this post

Weaver of Worlds... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Hello and thank you to anyone who responds. The SPs are supposed to love novelty, but how do you stay focused and engaged when you have a desire to do something that requires one to go in-depth with a subject, skill-set, etc? What in your life have you gone deep with? Thank you again to anyone who responds.
    I think you answered your own question in your op. Granted its much easier to stay focused and engaged when it is indeed YOUR desire. In Work I'm more mercenary, I'm doing my job to get paid. So I'm going to give it my best. If it turns out that it's not working out, ie the work exceeds the pay, they don't honor their end of the contract, they want to add to the job description without agreeable compensation; whatever, then they need to hire a different mercenary. Beyond any of that though; it's a matter of the underlined. If it's in you to do something, you'll figure out a way. The hard part will be desiring anything else apart till you get to do whatever you have it in you to do...
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Disaster's snapping at my heels and it's time that I was somewhere far away. It's all up to me again, ennit? Somehow, I've got to stay ahead and get some new aces up my sleeve. But right now, all I really need's a smoke.

Likes Generalist, Forever_Jung liked this post

Enneagram

I think based on my readings , being mentored by an ESFP boss, and on being raised by an ESTP, I would say SPs go deep by simply putting themselves in the situation (or a simulation of it) 1000 times, figuring it out in that moment, until eventually they have encountered almost every variation that could occur, and develop an insane feel for exactly what they can and should do in that moment. Never doubt an SP on a thing they have a lot of direct experience with.

They are masters of the simulated challenge. Iwas never bored around my dad, because he turned every errand into a speed challenge, a competition against my brother, or some sort of wager.

When I played little league, he used to create all these baseball drills that require me to learn to adjust to anticipated obstacles/complications/distractions:

To improve my hand eye and contact skills, he used to pitch golf balls at me, and I would have to hit them with a broomstick. Then we would play out a 9 inning game, where I was every hitter and I had to work each count, and drive in imaginary runners. He would constantly be throwing from different angles, talking trash, and trying to throw me off my game.

When we played with real baseballs, he loved to occasionally bean me with a pitch just to keep me from getting too comfortable. I would look at him all upset, and he would be wearing this enormous cat-ate-the-mouse grin.
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Generalist liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    I went through many years of school and music is my profession, but I approach it differently that other classical musicians because I do a wider variety of things with less perfection and complexity because I do need more variety than one instrument that I play 10-20 hours a week. I also write songs and sing, and compose other types of things. I sometimes draw, always wish I could get going to learn dance (I keep starting it), and I will sometimes write poetry.

My one absolute go-to is walking or sitting in nature. My entire life I do this almost every day when I can and almost can't live without it. I'm not sporty or structured, though, but more like an animal just sitting and looking around.
    So what do you play for work and what do you play for your own enjoyment? I also look to nature as a refuge and like to just sit there or slowly stroll along. So, you purposely take lower level jobs so you can focus on your creative works outside of your job, what is your definition of success? Thanks again for the reply.
    Likes Ravenetta liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post

I think based on my readings , being mentored by an ESFP boss, and on being raised by an ESTP, I would say SPs go deep by simply putting themselves in the situation (or a simulation of it) 1000 times, figuring it out in that moment, until eventually they have encountered almost every variation that could occur, and develop an insane feel for exactly what they can and should do in that moment. Never doubt an SP on a thing they have a lot of direct experience with.

They are masters of the simulated challenge. Iwas never bored around my dad, because he turned every errand into a speed challenge, a competition against my brother, or some sort of wager.

When I played little league, he used to create all these baseball drills that require me to learn to adjust to anticipated obstacles/complications/distractions:

To improve my hand eye and contact skills, he used to pitch golf balls at me, and I would have to hit them with a broomstick. Then we would play out a 9 inning game, where I was every hitter and I had to work each count, and drive in imaginary runners. He would constantly be throwing from different angles, talking trash, and trying to throw me off my game.

When we played with real baseballs, he loved to occasionally bean me with a pitch just to keep me from getting too comfortable. I would look at him all upset, and he would be wearing this enormous cat-ate-the-mouse grin.
    Interesting story, so now I have to ask. How did baseball go? Did all of this training pay off? So does your ESFP boss have a similar mentoring style? Thanks for the reply.
    Likes Forever_Jung liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack View Post
    I think you answered your own question in your op. Granted its much easier to stay focused and engaged when it is indeed YOUR desire. In Work I'm more mercenary, I'm doing my job to get paid. So I'm going to give it my best. If it turns out that it's not working out, ie the work exceeds the pay, they don't honor their end of the contract, they want to add to the job description without agreeable compensation; whatever, then they need to hire a different mercenary. Beyond any of that though; it's a matter of the underlined. If it's in you to do something, you'll figure out a way. The hard part will be desiring anything else apart till you get to do whatever you have it in you to do...
    Thank you for the reply. An interesting statement. So how do you stay engaged in your mercenary work besides monetary motivations? What would you say to someone who is resisting happiness? Not necessarily me, just it seems some people resist their good, joy inducing desires. Thanks again.
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

So what do you play for work and what do you play for your own enjoyment? I also look to nature as a refuge and like to just sit there or slowly stroll along. So, you purposely take lower level jobs so you can focus on your creative works outside of your job, what is your definition of success? Thanks again for the reply.
    For work it's mostly explaining/teaching simple concepts over and over like many hundreds of times. Or performing as I'm told in orchestra or gigs.

For or myself I compose more complex works that focus on simple philosophical concepts about life from nature or that are meant to instill empathy. Closest to my heart are my songs that I sing (although my voice is not technically exceptional by any means).

For me success is achieving my full creative potential with pure, uninterrupted authenticity expressed with the best skill available to me, and also to be seen, accurately perceived, and loved by at least one person in the world.
    Likes Generalist, Gentleman Jack liked this post