• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] How do SPs stay engaged and focused in the long term?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hello and thank you to anyone who responds. The SPs are supposed to love novelty, but how do you stay focused and engaged when you have a desire to do something that requires one to go in-depth with a subject, skill-set, etc? What in your life have you gone deep with? Thank you again to anyone who responds.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have gone to thorough lengths in music and to a lesser extent other areas in the arts. It has to do with activities that I enjoy experiencing and find meaning in doing. When I create something I like, it gives me a feeling of peace, of personal value, of meaning, of happiness. That provides a reward to inspire me to try again.

External pressure shuts me down rather quickly, so it makes it difficult to find a place in the world. I don't really want a high level, competitive job because that deters my creativity. Instead I end up doing the simplest, lowest pressure, lowest status job within my field because then all my nervous energy can be directed towards my own intentions and activities. The problem is that it doesn't result in "success" the same way others think of it and also not much income.

Edit: Also the creative arts have that sense of exploration and novelty built right in. If I need to explore a new direction, I use the tools I have to go down any path that strikes me.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have gone to thorough lengths in music and to a lesser extent other areas in the arts. It has to do with activities that I enjoy experiencing and find meaning in doing. When I create something I like, it gives me a feeling of peace, of personal value, of meaning, of happiness. That provides a reward to inspire me to try again.

External pressure shuts me down rather quickly, so it makes it difficult to find a place in the world. I don't really want a high level, competitive job because that deters my creativity. Instead I end up doing the simplest, lowest pressure, lowest status job within my field because then all my nervous energy can be directed towards my own intentions and activities. The problem is that it doesn't result in "success" the same way others think of it and also not much income.

Edit: Also the creative arts have that sense of exploration and novelty built right in. If I need to explore a new direction, I use the tools I have to go down any path that strikes me.

Thank you for the reply. So what have you been up to music wise? The arts do have their rewards. Even just as a hobby, practicing an art or a craft is enjoyable and therapeutic, but it can still be work, especially if you are serious about it, so do you ever have trouble getting started? What else does a musician do to relax? Thanks again.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for the reply. So what have you been up to music wise? The arts do have their rewards. Even just as a hobby, practicing an art or a craft is enjoyable and therapeutic, but it can still be work, especially if you are serious about it, so do you ever have trouble getting started? What else does a musician do to relax? Thanks again.
I went through many years of school and music is my profession, but I approach it differently that other classical musicians because I do a wider variety of things with less perfection and complexity because I do need more variety than one instrument that I play 10-20 hours a week. I also write songs and sing, and compose other types of things. I sometimes draw, always wish I could get going to learn dance (I keep starting it), and I will sometimes write poetry.

My one absolute go-to is walking or sitting in nature. My entire life I do this almost every day when I can and almost can't live without it. I'm not sporty or structured, though, but more like an animal just sitting and looking around.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Hello and thank you to anyone who responds. The SPs are supposed to love novelty, but how do you stay focused and engaged when you have a desire to do something that requires one to go in-depth with a subject, skill-set, etc? What in your life have you gone deep with? Thank you again to anyone who responds.

I think you answered your own question in your op. Granted its much easier to stay focused and engaged when it is indeed YOUR desire. In Work I'm more mercenary, I'm doing my job to get paid. So I'm going to give it my best. If it turns out that it's not working out, ie the work exceeds the pay, they don't honor their end of the contract, they want to add to the job description without agreeable compensation; whatever, then they need to hire a different mercenary. Beyond any of that though; it's a matter of the underlined. If it's in you to do something, you'll figure out a way. The hard part will be desiring anything else apart till you get to do whatever you have it in you to do...

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

I think based on my readings , being mentored by an ESFP boss, and on being raised by an ESTP, I would say SPs go deep by simply putting themselves in the situation (or a simulation of it) 1000 times, figuring it out in that moment, until eventually they have encountered almost every variation that could occur, and develop an insane feel for exactly what they can and should do in that moment. Never doubt an SP on a thing they have a lot of direct experience with.

They are masters of the simulated challenge. Iwas never bored around my dad, because he turned every errand into a speed challenge, a competition against my brother, or some sort of wager.

When I played little league, he used to create all these baseball drills that require me to learn to adjust to anticipated obstacles/complications/distractions:

To improve my hand eye and contact skills, he used to pitch golf balls at me, and I would have to hit them with a broomstick. Then we would play out a 9 inning game, where I was every hitter and I had to work each count, and drive in imaginary runners. He would constantly be throwing from different angles, talking trash, and trying to throw me off my game.

When we played with real baseballs, he loved to occasionally bean me with a pitch just to keep me from getting too comfortable. I would look at him all upset, and he would be wearing this enormous cat-ate-the-mouse grin.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I went through many years of school and music is my profession, but I approach it differently that other classical musicians because I do a wider variety of things with less perfection and complexity because I do need more variety than one instrument that I play 10-20 hours a week. I also write songs and sing, and compose other types of things. I sometimes draw, always wish I could get going to learn dance (I keep starting it), and I will sometimes write poetry.

My one absolute go-to is walking or sitting in nature. My entire life I do this almost every day when I can and almost can't live without it. I'm not sporty or structured, though, but more like an animal just sitting and looking around.

So what do you play for work and what do you play for your own enjoyment? I also look to nature as a refuge and like to just sit there or slowly stroll along. So, you purposely take lower level jobs so you can focus on your creative works outside of your job, what is your definition of success? Thanks again for the reply.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

I think based on my readings , being mentored by an ESFP boss, and on being raised by an ESTP, I would say SPs go deep by simply putting themselves in the situation (or a simulation of it) 1000 times, figuring it out in that moment, until eventually they have encountered almost every variation that could occur, and develop an insane feel for exactly what they can and should do in that moment. Never doubt an SP on a thing they have a lot of direct experience with.

They are masters of the simulated challenge. Iwas never bored around my dad, because he turned every errand into a speed challenge, a competition against my brother, or some sort of wager.

When I played little league, he used to create all these baseball drills that require me to learn to adjust to anticipated obstacles/complications/distractions:

To improve my hand eye and contact skills, he used to pitch golf balls at me, and I would have to hit them with a broomstick. Then we would play out a 9 inning game, where I was every hitter and I had to work each count, and drive in imaginary runners. He would constantly be throwing from different angles, talking trash, and trying to throw me off my game.

When we played with real baseballs, he loved to occasionally bean me with a pitch just to keep me from getting too comfortable. I would look at him all upset, and he would be wearing this enormous cat-ate-the-mouse grin.

Interesting story, so now I have to ask. How did baseball go? Did all of this training pay off? So does your ESFP boss have a similar mentoring style? Thanks for the reply.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think you answered your own question in your op. Granted its much easier to stay focused and engaged when it is indeed YOUR desire. In Work I'm more mercenary, I'm doing my job to get paid. So I'm going to give it my best. If it turns out that it's not working out, ie the work exceeds the pay, they don't honor their end of the contract, they want to add to the job description without agreeable compensation; whatever, then they need to hire a different mercenary. Beyond any of that though; it's a matter of the underlined. If it's in you to do something, you'll figure out a way. The hard part will be desiring anything else apart till you get to do whatever you have it in you to do...

Thank you for the reply. An interesting statement. So how do you stay engaged in your mercenary work besides monetary motivations? What would you say to someone who is resisting happiness? Not necessarily me, just it seems some people resist their good, joy inducing desires. Thanks again.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what do you play for work and what do you play for your own enjoyment? I also look to nature as a refuge and like to just sit there or slowly stroll along. So, you purposely take lower level jobs so you can focus on your creative works outside of your job, what is your definition of success? Thanks again for the reply.
For work it's mostly explaining/teaching simple concepts over and over like many hundreds of times. Or performing as I'm told in orchestra or gigs.

For or myself I compose more complex works that focus on simple philosophical concepts about life from nature or that are meant to instill empathy. Closest to my heart are my songs that I sing (although my voice is not technically exceptional by any means).

For me success is achieving my full creative potential with pure, uninterrupted authenticity expressed with the best skill available to me, and also to be seen, accurately perceived, and loved by at least one person in the world.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Thank you for the reply. An interesting statement. So how do you stay engaged in your mercenary work besides monetary motivations? What would you say to someone who is resisting happiness? Not necessarily me, just it seems some people resist their good, joy inducing desires. Thanks again.

I show up to do a job. I want to do the job in as expedient and efficient way as possible where quality is still assured. I'm self directed, and I hate just standing around. I'm not big on socializing beyond necessity on the clock. I can socialize off duty. I like to keep the day moving, I show up, knowing what I need to do, (then I do it) unless there's any new information, which I'll then absorb and get back to work. Then I want to get paid and go onto the next thing.

I don't mind working with others, but I can be a bit curt on the clock. I just want to get the job done well and move onto the next thing. The money motivations are motivated by a craving to be able to do my own projects, activities, and have more of my own time.

To someone who is resisting their idea of happiness? I'd say: why? IME there's usually a reason.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I show up to do a job. I want to do the job in as expedient and efficient way as possible where quality is still assured. I'm self directed, and I hate just standing around. I'm not big on socializing beyond necessity on the clock. I can socialize off duty. I like to keep the day moving, I show up, knowing what I need to do, (then I do it) unless there's any new information, which I'll then absorb and get back to work. Then I want to get paid and go onto the next thing.

I don't mind working with others, but I can be a bit curt on the clock. I just want to get the job done well and move onto the next thing. The money motivations are motivated by a craving to be able to do my own projects, activities, and have more of my own time.

To someone who is resisting their idea of happiness? I'd say: why? IME there's usually a reason.

Thank you for the reply. So what are these projects and activities? Thanks again.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
For work it's mostly explaining/teaching simple concepts over and over like many hundreds of times. Or performing as I'm told in orchestra or gigs.

For or myself I compose more complex works that focus on simple philosophical concepts about life from nature or that are meant to instill empathy. Closest to my heart are my songs that I sing (although my voice is not technically exceptional by any means).

For me success is achieving my full creative potential with pure, uninterrupted authenticity expressed with the best skill available to me, and also to be seen, accurately perceived, and loved by at least one person in the world.

Thanks again for the reply. So what is the accurate perception of you, besides uninterrupted creativity?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks again for the reply. So what is the accurate perception of you, besides uninterrupted creativity?
I have a bigger range than people think. I've lived a lot of pain, horror, and extreme psychological complexity, and I want and need to address it head-on in my art and my life. I need to challenge and tell the truth even though there will be consequences. I'm also stronger than people think because it isn't necessarily hindered by sensitivity. I guess I need acknowledgment for what I've survived and the sense of credibility that results.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My only long term focus issue is detailed planning. I know what i want and enjoy in life and thats the direction i always head. I wont create a 5 year plan, but i will keep things in mind and always head in that direction. Direction is always adaptable and changable, but its usually not a quick change. I am always up for short detours, etc. My sense of direction is really strong though

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Marilyn Monroe once said that she couldn't stand to feel regimented with her exercise. She did things until she felt too tired to do so, and she needed to actively feel her proper muscles being worked in order to feel as though she were getting anywhere.

I can't speak for any other ISFPs but, I don't HAVE an ultimate goal, really. I have a vague list of things I would like to do before I die but they're more like options, and totally subject to change. If I have the random desire to get fit, for example, I need to feel SOME form of physical affirmation that I'm getting somewhere on the regular. I need to feel my abs being worked whenever I work out, I need a regimented diet that is most likely to work for me..I need specifics. Those things become a habit if they feel right, and thus eventually long-term results will show as I start to ENJOY the daily sensations.

It's a cliche to say this, but for me it's just all about baby steps and making sure I'm enjoying myself somewhat in the day to day process. When people say "It doesn't look like it at all right now, but this is gonna get you somewhere," I have a really hard time believing them. =_= Moral of the story is my long term goals can be vague, but short term ones can not.