• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] The beauty of crystals

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Heey

Post a pic of a crystal or crystal cave /grid/jewellery etc...

Here's mine :

(Crystal cave in Finland)

crystal_cave_finland.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Calcium tungstate

image9751.jpg

Erbium:YAG

1-131021152450958.jpg

LBO

B0750119537.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My favorite crystal is bismuth. Can you believe this is the same stuff in Pepto-Bismol? It looks like like natural circuit boards or some kind of art-deco sculpture.

61FtsYLdjiL._SX425_.jpg

Bismuth-Crystals-20g-Bismuth-Metal-crystal_0d49d079-3914-45bf-bb04-7cba42facc2e.jpg

bismuth_crystal_grande.jpg

bismuth_crystal_art__0071_by_beeblebroxz-d99pz4e.jpg

So much cooler than boring diamonds, which are more interesting to me because of their hardness than their appearance.

A giant crystal cave in Mexico. The temperature and humidity in this cave are both extremely high.

5oniBlc.jpg

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Quartz crystal ball at a museum I went to last summer. 65 pounds.

H2I0HD9.jpg

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
My favorite crystal is bismuth. Can you believe this is the same stuff in Pepto-Bismol? It looks like like natural circuit boards or some kind of art-deco sculpture.

61FtsYLdjiL._SX425_.jpg

Bismuth-Crystals-20g-Bismuth-Metal-crystal_0d49d079-3914-45bf-bb04-7cba42facc2e.jpg

bismuth_crystal_grande.jpg

bismuth_crystal_art__0071_by_beeblebroxz-d99pz4e.jpg

So much cooler than boring diamonds, which are more interesting to me because of their hardness than their appearance.

The image speaks, in a way, of the electronic potential in crystals. And how our technological world depends on crystals ... period. Particularly quartz.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The image speaks, in a way, of the electronic potential in crystals. And how our technological world depends on crystals ... period. Particularly quartz.
Quartz? I think more of things like Si and GaAs.

It always reminds me of a Mayan temple design of some sort or perhaps an inspiration to M.C. Escher.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Quartz? I think more of things like Si and GaAs.

"Quartz crystals maintain a precise frequency standard, which helps to regulate the movement of a watch or clock, thus making the timepieces very accurate. Quartz is also used in radios, microprocessors, and many other technological and industrial applications." - from google questions ..

What are Si and GaAs used for?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Quartz crystals maintain a precise frequency standard, which helps to regulate the movement of a watch or clock, thus making the timepieces very accurate. Quartz is also used in radios, microprocessors, and many other technological and industrial applications." - from google questions ..

What are Si and GaAs used for?
Well, computer chips are mostly made of Si. GaAs is used in integrated circuits for microwave frequencies, light-emitting diodes, lasers, and solar cells, plus more esoteric research uses. These are both grown in large boules then sliced and polished into thin (~0.5 mm or so) wafers onto which the various structures are grown and patterned. (GaAs boule below, but Si looks similar.)
1.bmp

Here is an overview of crystals and crystal growth that explains some of this; probably contains more than you wanted to know, but it's a start. Many of the links on this page are broken, so if you want to know more about some of these laser and other crystals, check out these page at Synoptics: laser crystals, "specialty" crystals.