User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Default What is your job/career/major/goals/hobbies?

What work are you currently being paid for and what work would you like to be paid to do? What are doing that doesn't pay, literally?

Mine are:

Job-Caregiver
    Major-Marketing-associates degree
    Hobbies-blogging, birding, just in general enjoying different sensory experiences and just being in nature, trying to learn more about nature, to get more active in the visual arts

Thanks to anyone who replies.
    Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Pablo Picasso
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

A certain kind of fool... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    784 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Job- Freelancer.
    Major - Havent decided yet.
    Hobbies - writing, nature, aesthetics, etc.

What I'd like to get paid for; Forestry/Own businesses...
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.
    “You must be human . . . how weirdly exotic and excitingly perverse.”

I am the Cat who walks by Himself, and all places are alike to me...

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”

Likes Generalist liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Wizard View Post
    Job- Freelancer.
    Major - Havent decided yet.
    Hobbies - writing, nature, aesthetics, etc.

What I'd like to get paid for; Forestry/Own businesses...
    Thank you for the reply. All of those sound wonderful. What services do you offer as a freelancer? Besides trees, what other aspects of nature do you enjoy? What are you writing and creating? Thank you again for the reply.

Pablo Picasso
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP

Job- software support and implementation
    Major- math/stats in 2007
    Hobbies- parenting a 2 year old
    I think I'm an ISTP.
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Generalist liked this post

A certain kind of fool... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    784 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Generalist View Post
    Thank you for the reply. All of those sound wonderful. What services do you offer as a freelancer? Besides trees, what other aspects of nature do you enjoy? What are you writing and creating? Thank you again for the reply.
    Nature, I like quite a bit beyond the trees. As far as services, it all really depends on the work.

What about you? Marketing sounds cool, and and its always nice to meet another nature lover ^_^
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.
    “You must be human . . . how weirdly exotic and excitingly perverse.”

I am the Cat who walks by Himself, and all places are alike to me...

“I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours”

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    Job- software support and implementation
    Major- math/stats in 2007
    Hobbies- parenting a 2 year old
    Thanks for the reply. A two-year-old is a full-time hobby, but they can be a lot of fun. How did you get into working with technology? Thank you again for the reply.

Pablo Picasso

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Generalist View Post
    Thanks for the reply. A two-year-old is a full-time hobby, but they can be a lot of fun. How did you get into working with technology? Thank you again for the reply.
    I've always been into it, really. Growing up, I was good with our home computer. I was born in 1984, so having one before I was 5 was not so common as it is now. From a young age I knew I wanted to "work with computers", so right before I started my freshman year, I emailed one of the IT support teams on campus and I got a student worker/part time job there. I didn't actually know that much, but I enjoyed troubleshooting and they taught me other stuff I needed to know. I got my math/stats degree b/c it was the only stuff I was kind of good at and I wanted to finally graduate. Then I got a job being a java developer at a big retail company - they trained internally, so I learned all programming skills there. I didn't like that job, tbh, but I did it for 2.5 years. Then I was 1 of 2 desktop support people for a small pre-k - 12 school. And now I do support and implementation for a software company. It's an enterprise level application, so it does quite a lot of things for recreation centers, but it's all 1 actual application.

I don't think that I'm particularly gifted in this area, but I like tech things and diving into new issues, scenarios, etc. Example - we needed to do some load testing for a client, so we found an app online and I rolled with it, recorded some scripts, ran tests, changed scripts, ran more tests and hopefully helped make the app better by reporting results back to our developers. That's not my thing in the long run, but we needed someone asap, so I dove in and got my feet wet, and got some of the job done. I like new things and tech is always evolving. I also REALLY like problem solving. I used to be in extracurricular art class in middle school and my teacher was one of my favorite people. She would say "everything has a solution" and I firmly believe that in technology, art or anything else you can think of. It really drives me to improve things, too. You don't like it? Change it. It's not fast enough? Change it. It's ugly? Change it.

I've had a particularly hard time with my marriage the past couple of years and I keep looking for solutions that do not involve divorce, but I've tried so many things that I've run out of other solutions. So....I'll likely be knocking on that door soon. Everything has a solution. Everything.

MC
    I think I'm an ISTP.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SxI Si

Job: None
    Major: Business with minors in communication studies and finance
    Hobbies: Writing, music, fucking around online pretty much

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Wizard View Post
    Nature, I like quite a bit beyond the trees. As far as services, it all really depends on the work.

What about you? Marketing sounds cool, and and its always nice to meet another nature lover ^_^
    Yes, marketing is very interesting. I am having a lot of fun in school. Yes, nature lovers unite! I also have had fantasies about working in Forestry. I love all aspects of it, but I love the aesthetics the most. As far as what I am creating, I write personal essays and I am trying to get more into visual arts, learning more about I guess you could say design technology (photoshop/gimp). So what is your favorite tree?

Pablo Picasso

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Quote Originally Posted by mcmartinez84 View Post
    I've always been into it, really. Growing up, I was good with our home computer. I was born in 1984, so having one before I was 5 was not so common as it is now. From a young age I knew I wanted to "work with computers", so right before I started my freshman year, I emailed one of the IT support teams on campus and I got a student worker/part time job there. I didn't actually know that much, but I enjoyed troubleshooting and they taught me other stuff I needed to know. I got my math/stats degree b/c it was the only stuff I was kind of good at and I wanted to finally graduate. Then I got a job being a java developer at a big retail company - they trained internally, so I learned all programming skills there. I didn't like that job, tbh, but I did it for 2.5 years. Then I was 1 of 2 desktop support people for a small pre-k - 12 school. And now I do support and implementation for a software company. It's an enterprise level application, so it does quite a lot of things for recreation centers, but it's all 1 actual application.

I don't think that I'm particularly gifted in this area, but I like tech things and diving into new issues, scenarios, etc. Example - we needed to do some load testing for a client, so we found an app online and I rolled with it, recorded some scripts, ran tests, changed scripts, ran more tests and hopefully helped make the app better by reporting results back to our developers. That's not my thing in the long run, but we needed someone asap, so I dove in and got my feet wet, and got some of the job done. I like new things and tech is always evolving. I also REALLY like problem solving. I used to be in extracurricular art class in middle school and my teacher was one of my favorite people. She would say "everything has a solution" and I firmly believe that in technology, art or anything else you can think of. It really drives me to improve things, too. You don't like it? Change it. It's not fast enough? Change it. It's ugly? Change it.

I've had a particularly hard time with my marriage the past couple of years and I keep looking for solutions that do not involve divorce, but I've tried so many things that I've run out of other solutions. So....I'll likely be knocking on that door soon. Everything has a solution. Everything.

MC
    Wow, sounds like you really love working with technology. I am glad you have found work that gives you so much enjoyment. They say we usually enjoy doing the things we are good at and you didn't mention anything about being fired, so I am assuming you are pretty good with technology. The problem solving sounds exciting, so what would your dream tech job be? I am sorry to hear about your marriage. People problems are the hardest problems to solve. I love that saying, everything has a solution. Good luck.

Pablo Picasso