• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] Se Culture

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you call Si then? I know "impressions" is popular.

Well I won't say I am the authority on what Si is because I hardly use it.. (and this is a thread about Se)

but.. since it does share some common attributes of what Ni has, being an introverted perception function...

impressions isn't a bad name for it really.

Introverted functions are much harder to simplify than extroverted functions too..

I mean Impressions is quite a limited word for Si but I can't think of a better one right now.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Well I won't say I am the authority on what Si is because I hardly use it.. (and this is a thread about Se)

but.. since it does share some common attributes of what Ni has, being an introverted perception function...

Introverted functions are much harder to simplify than extroverted functions too..

I mean Impressions is quite a limited word for Si but I can't think of a better one right now.

"Phenomenology" would be a better term for Si. Meta-Si would be philosophically aware of how the world is experienced on a phenomenological level, meaning that (forgive me I just pulled this out of my ass) Heidegger, Plato, Kant, etc., whether transcendental or existential, are all describing the experience of Si. Si is epistemology, Ni is meaning (possibly dialectical. IDK)

... ok I have zero idea abt Se, it's probably a super blind spot

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, what aspects would you like to know? Ne level 1 is basic pun damage and family guy humor at its worst. Like, let’s throw in a plane crashing in the middle of a dining room while a family was having a quiet dinner, not talking to one another. The two parents in work attire, the teens wearing stereotypical junk. Level 1 is leaving it at that for a good laugh. The humor comes from the suddenness and randomness of the situation, but it’s a situation that could very nearly never happen (why it’s funny), because most people assume or know, that this event played out on tv, would never occur and laugh comfortably knowing it isn’t uncouth to find humor in it.

Level 3 or 4 would go further though and find the humor not in the randomness in the scene (Donny Darko comes to mind just now), but on the play of metaphor for the split and divide from the monotony and banality of the situation of the family setup, the perceptions that come with adhering to the supposed norm, while toying with perceptions of how social norms would perceive this scenario (the director joking about how people would laugh at the family guy scene of a random plane crashing in the dining room and how that is a reflection of our culture and personal values colliding) etc. etc. I could literally go on and on with this one scene but the point is, level 3, 4 especially, sees hundreds of overlap, cross breeding, and interplay, between metaphor and analogy of things within a situation constantly. The reality of the world, to an Ne dom, is hardly ever objective because it’s constantly overlaid with this sort of information, the information of perception and subjectivity, as applied to an objective reality.

I apologize for the vomit of text I just had when devising that example above, it literally came off the top of my head so I didn’t craft or perfect it in any way to explain it more clearly. But you can see, that base level puns and, guy slipping on a banana, then people attributing that to Ne...ya, it’s cringe worthy to say the least. At the same time though, I don’t put it down or attack others for saying that because I see the weakness within my own abilities of certain functions and openly poke fun at how ludicrous they are.

Not to ignore everything you said, I was just curious about level 3/4 Se was to you than this base level 1 Se stuff I've had. I just know that Extraversion focuses more on variety than depth (which Ne/Se/Fe/Te share) so... ... I'm really scratching my head here... extraversion doesn't dive in like introversion does..?

Like a DJ is going to be seen like an e7 type even if they're not because they're focused on the interactions and variety of their playlist, to a group of people they barely know... it's just appealing to as many as possible.. not just focusing one grand solo performance. Neither is one song ever going to be hitting one note the entire time. Lol. New sounds, new cross-matching/mashup's with different songs.. to me to see it as any less Se is kind of an insult because it's like saying touching > hearing. I don't seem to organize the senses any better than the other (although I think we all heavily rely on vision)

But thank you for sharing on Ne though, I feel like I could learn more about that function as well :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

I frankly can't really even differentiate my active Si use from Ne use. Here's an example:

Let's say I'm driving to work in the morning before I drop my kids off. It snowed the previous night and everything looks pretty. People are outside shoveling, like... lots of people. Let's also say a song is on that I find particularly moving. All of these experiences roll into one for me in a way that make me feel "warm and fuzzy" inside. I might think about how we are all connected by way of just doing ordinary things, like shoveling or driving to work, but there is a sort of intangible beauty to it. Tied into this may be themes of birth, life, family, the daily grind, and enjoying simple moments. It's kind of hard for me to put into words (I'm sort of actively working on bettering my creative expression and understanding my own processes), but there is an internal sensory/impressionistic component and an external web of connections that are fairly abstract. It's all woven together, so hard to separate.

I've realized that even when I do something that appears to be spontaneous and Se-related, like maybe dancing like a lunatic to a song I like when I'm all alone, is actually more about a connection to life via kinesthetics. The sensory part is internal and subjective, and the connection to the world is external and representative of something bigger.

I hope that makes sense.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Phenomenology" would be a better term for Si. Meta-Si would be philosophically aware of how the world is experienced on a phenomenological level, meaning that (forgive me I just pulled this out of my ass) Heidegger, Plato, Kant, etc., whether transcendental or existential, are all describing the experience of Si. Si is epistemology, Ni is meaning (possibly dialectical. IDK)

... ok I have zero idea abt Se, it's probably a super blind spot

Perhaps, it's not too friendly for the layman user however haha. But yes, I think phenomenology hits the function much more at home.

Heidegger and his teacher (ugh I forgot his name!) yeah really tried describing "experience" of reality through ourselves than describing what was outside of us. Although Phenomenolgy could doubly apply to Ni at the same time.

Yeah I could see what you mean by Plato and Kant talking about Si as well.. although Plato is commonly referenced as an INFJ (seeing that everything is an imperfection of a divine pattern although that sounds like sheer Si too) We in our heads have an idea what a perfect triangle is, but reality will always fail at what a true triangle will be. (I mean applied math before calculus was very inexact)

Kant... well... him and Schopenhauer.. (the latter was definitely way Ni), Kant seemed more Ti (he's commonly references as an INTP).. so idk exactly how you tie Si in though.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
To me it seems really off people go to festivals enjoying this "base level 1 Se stuff" I don't think it's a bunch of Ni and Ne doms partying hardcore at that event.

Can you look me in the eye and tell me that?

It just sounds like you're less open to experiences like that..

Didn’t even notice the rest of your message when I first replied, whoops!

But I didn’t infer anywhere that those that attend those concerts are only Ni or Ne doms. On that topic though, I’d imagine the Ni and Ne doms to be experiencing that same concert in vastly different ways than an Se dom may. I’m sure all the types may have their own nuances to add to the same experience really. Some nuances too subtle to pinpoint, but ya.

I’d say the sorts of experiences one prefers has more to do with preferences and interests than type, but that’s only my view.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I frankly can't really even differentiate my active Si use from Ne use. Here's an example:

Let's say I'm driving to work in the morning before I drop my kids off. It snowed the previous night and everything looks pretty. People are outside shoveling, like... lots of people. Let's also say a song is on that I find particularly moving. All of these experiences roll into one for me in a way that make me feel "warm and fuzzy" inside. I might think about how we are all connected by way of just doing ordinary things, like shoveling or driving to work, but there is a sort of intangible beauty to it. Tied into this may be themes of birth, life, family, the daily grind, and enjoying simple moments. It's kind of hard for me to put into words (I'm sort of actively working on bettering my creative expression and understanding my own processes), but there is an internal sensory/impressionistic component and an external web of connections that are fairly abstract. It's all woven together, so hard to separate.

I've realized that even when I do something that appears to be spontaneous and Se-related, like maybe dancing like a lunatic to a song I like when I'm all alone, is actually more about a connection to life via kinesthetics. The sensory part is internal and subjective, and the connection to the world is external and representative of something bigger.

I hope that makes sense.

I see what you're saying I also see how this can be all of your functions. Notably Fi describes feelings vaguely as that's the event. When an Fi user encounters another, they see them like "they just suck okay, that person just makes me feel bad" (doesn't have to always be negative) or this person is just [vague impressionistic feeling], this event makes me feel blissful. etc. etc. I could see then Ne/Si towards the later like when you mention themes and stuff.

Se is really a connection via kinesthetics for sure! I think it's both a passive and active function really. (although intuition is just instantaneous)

For me sometimes Fi vs Si can seem hard to distinguish together as then if it were SFP user where Se is used.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Didn’t even notice the rest of your message when I first replied, whoops!

But I didn’t infer anywhere that those that attend those concerts are only Ni or Ne doms. On that topic though, I’d imagine the Ni and Ne doms to be experiencing that same concert in vastly different ways than an Se dom may. I’m sure all the types may have their own nuances to add to the same experience really. Some nuances too subtle to pinpoint, but ya.

I’d say the sorts of experiences one prefers has more to do with preferences and interests than type, but that’s only my view.

Some concerts I honestly stop enjoying because I am over exhausted using too much Se all at once, but it's not that I would hate it because I fatigue of it.

That's what I was trying to get at though. I think it should be safe to separate between the two :yes:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want some Se

Here try some skittles.

DNvCZVCVQAERWAq.jpg

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an Ne-Fi user and concerts stress me out XD

Digital Lion

Growing up I felt like a rather stunted and shitty ESTP lol. I have an all-star athlete ESTP brother, who was always immediately talented at any Se heavy/oriented activity whereas my Se was usually wonky and unreliable in that I was either impressive at feats of raw physicality and tactical dexterity or utterly and completely whack--I hate to suck at anything and so unless I had a strong hunch that I might excel, I was reluctant to engage. And my brother never failed to revel in that fact, especially if it meant making me look stupid, considering that I was the superior intellect (as defined by most TJ societies) and scholastic achiever and he evidently wanted a realm to dominate that was "all his own." That was understandable (though immature) but what would really piss me off is that I would intentionally choose different sports that he had no natural interest in and at times, he'd undertake them just to show me up and even worse, usually succeed in doing so--my tertiary Se was never a true match for his dom Se. Fortunately for me, I hate insecurities and will rage against them until they die or shut the fuck up, which is why my Se is pretty well developed though still a bit precarious depending on my mental state and focus.

Between my brother and a former ESFP girlfriend who is a ballerina, it seems to me like they take their dom Se for granted, in a way, as in Se's heightened focus on immediacy and the details in the here and now is nothing more than "white noise" to them; it appears as if they react to dynamically frenetic environments with a zen like aura of being all out of fucks to give while dodging bullets in slow motion akin to Neo. I'm both awed and infuriated by this. lol I lack their natural grace and elegance. For me, my Se is more consciously activated and even still, crude and heavy-handed.

In my mind and in my aims, I experience Se like this:

while probably actually looking like this lol:

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
...and then you have Si culture people like my brother who, at his first visit to a Cajun restaurant, ordered the chicken fingers- because why experience anything new ever?

Both ends of the S spectrum annoy the shit out of me. Fucking LIVE A LITTLE (but not too much all the time)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Not gonna lie...I didn't really look at any of the posts in this thread. And judging by my soon to follow comment, I don't think this necessarily fits here, but I will say it anyway.

Maybe I have a misunderstanding of exactly what Se is. But the with the thoughts that I do have on it, it is my most favorite function. It is the most wholesome and real and makes me the happiest when I am able to use it properly. That is, to just live and exist in the moment is to be the happiest. To not worry about anything other than what is in front of your face, your surroundings, is happiness. The only way to properly enjoy life is to exist entirely immersed in the now.

I wish I could do this every second of every day. Se is what I aspire to be.

Se reminds me of the principles of the philosophy of Taoism, which I don't necessarily have a good grasp on either. But I have a fondness for both.

There you go. Words in a thread. Not necessarily coherent, but there they are.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not gonna lie...I didn't really look at any of the posts in this thread. And judging by my soon to follow comment, I don't think this necessarily fits here, but I will say it anyway.

Maybe I have a misunderstanding of exactly what Se is. But the with the thoughts that I do have on it, it is my most favorite function. It is the most wholesome and real and makes me the happiest when I am able to use it properly. That is, to just live and exist in the moment is to be the happiest. To not worry about anything other than what is in front of your face, your surroundings, is happiness. The only way to properly enjoy life is to exist entirely immersed in the now.

I wish I could do this every second of every day. Se is what I aspire to be.

Se reminds me of the principles of the philosophy of Taoism, which I don't necessarily have a good grasp on either. But I have a fondness for both.

There you go. Words in a thread. Not necessarily coherent, but there they are.

Honestly, it makes no difference of adhering to strict rules on this forum. I used to be a butt about it on my early days and now I’m okay with it. So I’m glad you appreciate the beauty of Se. I had really fun times with SP’s. They were more lax and they tend to judge less because my personality is wanting to be so appreciative of the moment. As a teen I concerned myself with useless things and there was an SP to make it all fun somehow. This forum tends to have an obsession with SJ’s more than SP’s (perhaps because more Ne/Si than Ni/Se members here). I often wonder if an SP woman is the one I should spend the rest of my life with.

If there was a thing I wished more of this forum is just more playful people. Guys you can roll down a hill with and laugh and smile with

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Se culture musicians (AUX)

Skrillex ISFP

Deadmau5 ISTP