User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Se Culture

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    What do you call Si then? I know "impressions" is popular.
    Well I won't say I am the authority on what Si is because I hardly use it.. (and this is a thread about Se)

    but.. since it does share some common attributes of what Ni has, being an introverted perception function...

    impressions isn't a bad name for it really.

    Introverted functions are much harder to simplify than extroverted functions too..

    I mean Impressions is quite a limited word for Si but I can't think of a better one right now.

  2. #22
    Softserve Ice Cream Agent Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Well I won't say I am the authority on what Si is because I hardly use it.. (and this is a thread about Se)

    but.. since it does share some common attributes of what Ni has, being an introverted perception function...

    impressions isn't a bad name for it really.

    Introverted functions are much harder to simplify than extroverted functions too..

    I mean Impressions is quite a limited word for Si but I can't think of a better one right now.
    "Phenomenology" would be a better term for Si. Meta-Si would be philosophically aware of how the world is experienced on a phenomenological level, meaning that (forgive me I just pulled this out of my ass) Heidegger, Plato, Kant, etc., whether transcendental or existential, are all describing the experience of Si. Si is epistemology, Ni is meaning (possibly dialectical. IDK)

    ... ok I have zero idea abt Se, it's probably a super blind spot
    There's no love in fear.
    - Tool

    Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    - Richard Siken

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Sure, what aspects would you like to know? Ne level 1 is basic pun damage and family guy humor at its worst. Like, let’s throw in a plane crashing in the middle of a dining room while a family was having a quiet dinner, not talking to one another. The two parents in work attire, the teens wearing stereotypical junk. Level 1 is leaving it at that for a good laugh. The humor comes from the suddenness and randomness of the situation, but it’s a situation that could very nearly never happen (why it’s funny), because most people assume or know, that this event played out on tv, would never occur and laugh comfortably knowing it isn’t uncouth to find humor in it.

    Level 3 or 4 would go further though and find the humor not in the randomness in the scene (Donny Darko comes to mind just now), but on the play of metaphor for the split and divide from the monotony and banality of the situation of the family setup, the perceptions that come with adhering to the supposed norm, while toying with perceptions of how social norms would perceive this scenario (the director joking about how people would laugh at the family guy scene of a random plane crashing in the dining room and how that is a reflection of our culture and personal values colliding) etc. etc. I could literally go on and on with this one scene but the point is, level 3, 4 especially, sees hundreds of overlap, cross breeding, and interplay, between metaphor and analogy of things within a situation constantly. The reality of the world, to an Ne dom, is hardly ever objective because it’s constantly overlaid with this sort of information, the information of perception and subjectivity, as applied to an objective reality.


    I apologize for the vomit of text I just had when devising that example above, it literally came off the top of my head so I didn’t craft or perfect it in any way to explain it more clearly. But you can see, that base level puns and, guy slipping on a banana, then people attributing that to Ne...ya, it’s cringe worthy to say the least. At the same time though, I don’t put it down or attack others for saying that because I see the weakness within my own abilities of certain functions and openly poke fun at how ludicrous they are.
    Not to ignore everything you said, I was just curious about level 3/4 Se was to you than this base level 1 Se stuff I've had. I just know that Extraversion focuses more on variety than depth (which Ne/Se/Fe/Te share) so... ... I'm really scratching my head here... extraversion doesn't dive in like introversion does..?

    Like a DJ is going to be seen like an e7 type even if they're not because they're focused on the interactions and variety of their playlist, to a group of people they barely know... it's just appealing to as many as possible.. not just focusing one grand solo performance. Neither is one song ever going to be hitting one note the entire time. Lol. New sounds, new cross-matching/mashup's with different songs.. to me to see it as any less Se is kind of an insult because it's like saying touching > hearing. I don't seem to organize the senses any better than the other (although I think we all heavily rely on vision)

    But thank you for sharing on Ne though, I feel like I could learn more about that function as well

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    9,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Well I won't say I am the authority on what Si is because I hardly use it.. (and this is a thread about Se)

    but.. since it does share some common attributes of what Ni has, being an introverted perception function...

    impressions isn't a bad name for it really.

    Introverted functions are much harder to simplify than extroverted functions too..

    I mean Impressions is quite a limited word for Si but I can't think of a better one right now.
    I frankly can't really even differentiate my active Si use from Ne use. Here's an example:

    Let's say I'm driving to work in the morning before I drop my kids off. It snowed the previous night and everything looks pretty. People are outside shoveling, like... lots of people. Let's also say a song is on that I find particularly moving. All of these experiences roll into one for me in a way that make me feel "warm and fuzzy" inside. I might think about how we are all connected by way of just doing ordinary things, like shoveling or driving to work, but there is a sort of intangible beauty to it. Tied into this may be themes of birth, life, family, the daily grind, and enjoying simple moments. It's kind of hard for me to put into words (I'm sort of actively working on bettering my creative expression and understanding my own processes), but there is an internal sensory/impressionistic component and an external web of connections that are fairly abstract. It's all woven together, so hard to separate.

    I've realized that even when I do something that appears to be spontaneous and Se-related, like maybe dancing like a lunatic to a song I like when I'm all alone, is actually more about a connection to life via kinesthetics. The sensory part is internal and subjective, and the connection to the world is external and representative of something bigger.

    I hope that makes sense.

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    "Phenomenology" would be a better term for Si. Meta-Si would be philosophically aware of how the world is experienced on a phenomenological level, meaning that (forgive me I just pulled this out of my ass) Heidegger, Plato, Kant, etc., whether transcendental or existential, are all describing the experience of Si. Si is epistemology, Ni is meaning (possibly dialectical. IDK)

    ... ok I have zero idea abt Se, it's probably a super blind spot
    Perhaps, it's not too friendly for the layman user however haha. But yes, I think phenomenology hits the function much more at home.

    Heidegger and his teacher (ugh I forgot his name!) yeah really tried describing "experience" of reality through ourselves than describing what was outside of us. Although Phenomenolgy could doubly apply to Ni at the same time.

    Yeah I could see what you mean by Plato and Kant talking about Si as well.. although Plato is commonly referenced as an INFJ (seeing that everything is an imperfection of a divine pattern although that sounds like sheer Si too) We in our heads have an idea what a perfect triangle is, but reality will always fail at what a true triangle will be. (I mean applied math before calculus was very inexact)

    Kant... well... him and Schopenhauer.. (the latter was definitely way Ni), Kant seemed more Ti (he's commonly references as an INTP).. so idk exactly how you tie Si in though.

  6. #26
    Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    794
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    To me it seems really off people go to festivals enjoying this "base level 1 Se stuff" I don't think it's a bunch of Ni and Ne doms partying hardcore at that event.

    Can you look me in the eye and tell me that?

    It just sounds like you're less open to experiences like that..

    Didn’t even notice the rest of your message when I first replied, whoops!

    But I didn’t infer anywhere that those that attend those concerts are only Ni or Ne doms. On that topic though, I’d imagine the Ni and Ne doms to be experiencing that same concert in vastly different ways than an Se dom may. I’m sure all the types may have their own nuances to add to the same experience really. Some nuances too subtle to pinpoint, but ya.

    I’d say the sorts of experiences one prefers has more to do with preferences and interests than type, but that’s only my view.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt


    ~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I frankly can't really even differentiate my active Si use from Ne use. Here's an example:

    Let's say I'm driving to work in the morning before I drop my kids off. It snowed the previous night and everything looks pretty. People are outside shoveling, like... lots of people. Let's also say a song is on that I find particularly moving. All of these experiences roll into one for me in a way that make me feel "warm and fuzzy" inside. I might think about how we are all connected by way of just doing ordinary things, like shoveling or driving to work, but there is a sort of intangible beauty to it. Tied into this may be themes of birth, life, family, the daily grind, and enjoying simple moments. It's kind of hard for me to put into words (I'm sort of actively working on bettering my creative expression and understanding my own processes), but there is an internal sensory/impressionistic component and an external web of connections that are fairly abstract. It's all woven together, so hard to separate.

    I've realized that even when I do something that appears to be spontaneous and Se-related, like maybe dancing like a lunatic to a song I like when I'm all alone, is actually more about a connection to life via kinesthetics. The sensory part is internal and subjective, and the connection to the world is external and representative of something bigger.

    I hope that makes sense.
    I see what you're saying I also see how this can be all of your functions. Notably Fi describes feelings vaguely as that's the event. When an Fi user encounters another, they see them like "they just suck okay, that person just makes me feel bad" (doesn't have to always be negative) or this person is just [vague impressionistic feeling], this event makes me feel blissful. etc. etc. I could see then Ne/Si towards the later like when you mention themes and stuff.

    Se is really a connection via kinesthetics for sure! I think it's both a passive and active function really. (although intuition is just instantaneous)

    For me sometimes Fi vs Si can seem hard to distinguish together as then if it were SFP user where Se is used.

  8. #28
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Didn’t even notice the rest of your message when I first replied, whoops!

    But I didn’t infer anywhere that those that attend those concerts are only Ni or Ne doms. On that topic though, I’d imagine the Ni and Ne doms to be experiencing that same concert in vastly different ways than an Se dom may. I’m sure all the types may have their own nuances to add to the same experience really. Some nuances too subtle to pinpoint, but ya.

    I’d say the sorts of experiences one prefers has more to do with preferences and interests than type, but that’s only my view.
    Some concerts I honestly stop enjoying because I am over exhausted using too much Se all at once, but it's not that I would hate it because I fatigue of it.

    That's what I was trying to get at though. I think it should be safe to separate between the two

  9. #29

    Default

    I want some Se

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I want some Se
    Here try some skittles.


Similar Threads

  1. [Se] Cutting off Se
    By SpottingTrains in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM
  2. [Se] Se awakening?
    By xNFJiminy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 10:47 AM
  3. [Se] Squashing upstart inferior-Se?
    By Skyward in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM
  4. [Se] Drug abuse and Se
    By yenom in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO