• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Why are estp's so misrepresented

Saviithesavage

MBTI Type
Estp
Enneagram
Ok so I'm a 19yr old girl, who for awhile thought I was an esfp but I was kinda iffy debating it, I took another test and came out as an ESTP and as I read more into it I realized THATS EXACTLY ME. I was super excited I finally found my real type until I started to see everybody's negative comments about ESTP's like "thank god im not an estp" and "estps are the type that think everybody likes them when nobody does" it honestly kinda had me butt hurt just because I feel like nobody should be shamed for the type they are. Is ESTP's aren't just "assholes" we do have feelings hahaha

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Think about the types of the majority of people who spend a lot of time writing and talking about the various types, particularly on internet type communities.

I'm guessing many of them are introverts or intuitive types. Intuitive types, being more grounded in theoretical thinking and outlook, will view other types through that lens. With that comes potential for an image or portrait of Sensing types that isn't always accurate, but rather one that might be abstracted and/or idealized. With abstraction and idealization comes great potential to diminish types down to broad generalities that don't always account for the depth of every unique individual. Therefore this can result in very broad and often unflattering portraits/conceptions of Sensing types (especially the extraverts) that won't always resonate with people of those types.

I will say from personal experience that ESTPs usually have more depth and sensitivity than they let on, you just have to get close to them to really see that side.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok so I'm a 19yr old girl, who for awhile thought I was an esfp but I was kinda iffy debating it, I took another test and came out as an ESTP and as I read more into it I realized THATS EXACTLY ME. I was super excited I finally found my real type until I started to see everybody's negative comments about ESTP's like "thank god im not an estp" and "estps are the type that think everybody likes them when nobody does" it honestly kinda had me butt hurt just because I feel like nobody should be shamed for the type they are. Is ESTP's aren't just "assholes" we do have feelings hahaha

F*ck em. :D

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We are just a bunch of internet introverts, ESTPs are out there in the real world actually doing things, that's why.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Well... Put it this way: How would a bunch of introverts who basically have no life speculate and view other people?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will say moreless talking to some ESTPs and ISTPs, they aren't as scary as stereotype makes them out to be. I think many perceptions are based off "immature" types who do not represent the identity well.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First of all, here on internet we live on introverts' world, so extroverts as a group may come out as a bit scary. ESTPs are the doers, they are out the in the real world actually doing things, that alone is quite scary for a bunch of people who barely have a life. Anyway, there are many stereotypes about the types. Many of them want you to perceive some types as intimidating, and ESTPs are one of them, alongside with ENTJs, INTJs etc.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will say moreless talking to some ESTPs and ISTPs, they aren't as scary as stereotype makes them out to be. I think many perceptions are based off "immature" types who do not represent the identity well.

ESTPs i know are all about having fun and enjoying life. Thats the main zest to an ESTP. I really dont understand the "scary". Most i know would never be deemed as scary either. They are just movers and doers in life. I agree they can be a bit in your face to have fun at times, but not scary at all :shrug: i scare more people by far then an ESTP does...maybe its my ESTP side, lol

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs i know are all about having fun and enjoying life. Thats the main zest to an ESTP. I really dont understand the "scary". Most i know would never be deemed as scary either. They are just movers and doers in life. I agree they can be a bit in your face to have fun at times, but not scary at all :shrug: i scare more people by far then an ESTP does...maybe its my ESTP side, lol
Se seems to be a scary function for me (keep in mind I have like very little Se).
they are portrayed as party animal, try everything, openly defiant against authority, almost trying to kill themselves types.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Se seems to be a scary function for me (keep in mind I have like very little Se).
they are portrayed as party animal, try everything, openly defiant against authority, almost trying to kill themselves types.

That doesnt scare me one bit :doh: well, party animal, but thats my social anxiety side. Party animals themselves dont scare me, i just cant relate. Its all about trying and living. Similiar to how an ENFP will run with just about any idea. Its a very shallow side that when done right learns through experience when done wrong just experiences without learning.

Ok, i do scare the shit outta my mom. I dont tell her stuff because of it.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That doesnt scare me one bit :doh: well, party animal, but thats my social anxiety side. Party animals themselves dont scare me, i just cant relate. Its all about trying and living. Similiar to how an ENFP will run with just about any idea. Its a very shallow side that when done right learns through experience when done wrong just experiences without learning.

Ok, i do scare the shit outta my mom. I dont tell her stuff because of it.

Basically words for every strong Se user:
You scare us people who are not strong Se users. lol

but really, I think my "fear" more falls on the compassion side. I have a very hard time if I think someone I care about is going to get hurt. I also have a problem if you do reckless things which can injure someone else in the name of the thrill. Thrill-seeking is something very...foreign to me. To say the least.

Plus since I have very little Se, I do not relate to Se's desire for sensation constantly. I can become over-stimulated and need to retreat. If you try to pressure me too much into some thrill seeking idea which goes against what I believe in, you'll push me too far.

Per say, an immature xSTP could really make me feel like a mouse in a corner and cause me to bite.
I have a family member who tested as ISTP and he would certainly be immature, but he is a real jerk and we basically never get along. Just a different nature I suppose. My problems usually fall more with ISTP than ESTP, so FAR... I think a mature one, I can appreciate their carefree ability to seek something new. While I always desire to seek something new, I rarely have the courage to actually "do". I normally just write something about it. LOL.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Basically words for every strong Se user:
You scare us people who are not strong Se users. lol

but really, I think my "fear" more falls on the compassion side. I have a very hard time if I think someone I care about is going to get hurt. I also have a problem if you do reckless things which can injure someone else in the name of the thrill. Thrill-seeking is something very...foreign to me. To say the least.

Plus since I have very little Se, I do not relate to Se's desire for sensation constantly. I can become over-stimulated and need to retreat. If you try to pressure me too much into some thrill seeking idea which goes against what I believe in, you'll push me too far.

Per say, an immature xSTP could really make me feel like a mouse in a corner and cause me to bite.
I have a family member who tested as ISTP and he would certainly be immature, but he is a real jerk and we basically never get along. Just a different nature I suppose. My problems usually fall more with ISTP than ESTP, so FAR... I think a mature one, I can appreciate their carefree ability to seek something new. While I always desire to seek something new, I rarely have the courage to actually "do". I normally just write something about it. LOL.

I consider myself xSTP...aside from complete lack of huge desire for social interactions i have this huge extroverted pull. I do think i lean more ISTP though. I am not a "thrill seeker", i just do things because i enjoy it and its fun, i hate adrenaline rushes because of how it causes loss of control. To me its about having fun and getting better, not thrill seeking and adrenaline.

I dont need people to do it with me, most of the time i do stuff like this with just me. I dont need that companion to join in as i get enough enjoyment out of it. Driving, jet ski, biking, etc. Join or dont, i dont care really.

I am just a very hands on person who does through experience as opposed to planning. Thats why i scare the shit out of most people. My boss went on vacation for the first time since he brought me up to team lead and asked if i had any questions. Nope...scared the shit out of him, but when he came back i had things in a better place then when he left. From then on he just said...i am gonna be out of office, take over.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
First of all, here on internet we live on introverts' world, so extroverts as a group may come out as a bit scary. ESTPs are the doers, they are out the in the real world actually doing things, that alone is quite scary for a bunch of people who barely have a life. Anyway, there are many stereotypes about the types. Many of them want you to perceive some types as intimidating, and ESTPs are one of them, alongside with ENTJs, INTJs etc.
When you look at these articles like facts about each type etc you will sometimes see a disclaimer that not enough of a research pool was gathered on ESTPs, in order to get both the ISTP and the ESTP to take the tests took some convincing they are out there doing and socializing, fast pace dynamic people.
What you are doing here is of great value, by putting your perspective, answering questions, filling out polls etc you help correctly shape how your type is viewed , adding depth to inderstanding.
the Estp I dated absolutely was emotional, and expressed these emotions maybe not in the best way but he was a good person with good intentions, he would always say I can't put it into words the way you can or break it down as well, but I am feeling and I believed him.
He liked things to be last minute when planning his weekend asking him to commit to something from Monday was his idea of torture ( I don't know if this is strictly type related)
what you see is what you get was my experience.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you look at these articles like facts about each type etc you will sometimes see a disclaimer that not enough of a research pool was gathered on ESTPs, in order to get both the ISTP and the ESTP to take the tests took some convincing they are out there doing and socializing, fast pace dynamic people.
What you are doing here is of great value, by putting your perspective, answering questions, filling out polls etc you help correctly shape how your type is viewed , adding depth to inderstanding.
the Estp I dated absolutely was emotional, and expressed these emotions maybe not in the best way but he was a good person with good intentions, he would always say I can't put it into words the way you can or break it down as well, but I am feeling and I believed him.
He liked things to be last minute when planning his weekend asking him to commit to something from Monday was his idea of torture ( I don't know if this is strictly type related)

Interesting. I'm not sure but I think the same applies to ISTPs.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Interesting. I'm not sure but I think the same applies to ISTPs.
ISTPs in my experience are a more complicated beast to understand maybe it's the introversion gives them the appearance to be mulling things over when really like the Estp they also have a do or don't do attitude , they like things fast pace but don't have the need for socializing the way the Estp does. in my experience the ISTP preferred one on one socializing and high pace out door activities. ESTP was always in the thick of what was socially happening at the time.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTPs in my experience are a more complicated beast to understand maybe it's the introversion gives them the appearance to be mulling things over when really like the Estp they also have a do or don't do attitude , they like things fast pace but don't have the need for socializing the way the Estp does. in my experience the ISTP preferred one on one socializing and high pace out door activities. ESTP was always in the thick of what was socially happening at the time.

I'm not sure if the "nature lover" stereotype holds for S types in general, but more specifically for ISTPs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I am just a busy body. I dont require high paced. Shopping(basically walking around taking things in, i hate the buying/shopping process), driving, just anything physical :shrug: i am not high energy, more like energizer bunny...i just keep going. If i sit for to long i have to get out and just do something physical. I pace when i have nothing to do and it drives my dad nuts, my mom loves it because she is like "come and help me" and i am like ok, what you need. I used to help my sister rearrange her furniture weekly, i help people fix things, build things, do things. My action is in no way limited to "fast paced" its all encompassing. I love speed, but i dont need it for all activity.

I know ESTPs that are both fast paced and not. Boredom and being unhealthy person is more of a disgnation factor for that. I know ESTPs that are just always moving and not "fast paced". They are just generally active people.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, i see the bolded with ESTPs quite a bit. They really are emotional people, very caring, etc...but that Se side grabs ahold and says "run!!!!!"

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I am just a busy body. I dont require high paced. Shopping(basically walking around taking things in, i hate the buying/shopping process), driving, just anything physical :shrug: i am not high energy, more like energizer bunny...i just keep going. If i sit for to long i have to get out and just do something physical. I pace when i have nothing to do and it drives my dad nuts, my mom loves it because she is like "come and help me" and i am like ok, what you need. I used to help my sister rearrange her furniture weekly, i help people fix things, build things, do things. My action is in no way limited to "fast paced" its all encompassing. I love speed, but i dont need it for all activity. I know ESTPs that are both fast paced and not. Boredom and being unhealthy person is more of a disgnation factor for that. I know ESTPs that are just always moving and not "fast paced". They are just generally active people.
Agreed energizer bunny and need to be constantly moving is better description of the energy level. Active people.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
So what if ESTPs are perceived badly by a mindless bunch who don't know the worth of the individual as an individual?
Don't take that description as gospel, and don't take earnestly those who will misconstrue your identity on the whims of something they have read somewhere, alright?

XNTJs are perceived as evil, stone-hearted, concretely peculiar, blasphemous and guilty of being unwilling to fit in society and bow to authority, we should hang, insidious and sons of lucifer who would have been burned like witches, or maybe we were, ergo why there are few INTJs out there, but the point is, that type or the other, who gives a fuck about all this asinine stereotyping? You are you, and that's all that is.