• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and life development

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
any older SPs care to comment how you've changed as you've gotten older?

i feel that ive gotten calmer and have developed a much more positive, accepting attitude towards other people, the world, and what the future holds. i think that has made me more sociable, even though sometimes that is only in a sardonic manner caused by recognizing both good and bad in everything. even lately though, that seems to be replaced by a sort of feeling of genuine unconditional friendliness towards people.

wonder if that's due to the realization that projecting suspicions and selfishness onto people will not necessarily help me come to terms with their negative actions if they end up taking them, or maybe some revelation about the meaning behind the existence of other people that provokes a desire to connect with them. maybe this is the supposed secret desire of ISTPs, "to love"? :thinking:

i guess i find it it surprising how much what someone has learned and realized can change how they think, and thus how they behave.

Last edited:

wolfy

awsm
I'm much more aware of social dynamics now.
I also regretfully concede that my input needs to be tailored to the audience. :violin:
My biggest breakthrough was in understanding people are by nature expedient.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
thanks for sharing wolfy

more responses please!

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
GS, I have to agree with your observations pretty much exactly....these same transitions towards acceptance and "understanding" have occured in me...

There is still a lot I do not understand, but I will tolerate a lot more than in my 20's and 30's...I am more interested and less threatend than I use to be. We all mature chronologically, If we are in luck (moreso those we will live with) we get to grow too.

People are the best and worst show in town...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've become less idealistic but at the same time more understanding of different points of view than my own. I'm more confident in my communication skills. I'm more likely to think about the effect my actions could have on other people and (maybe?) a little less stubborn than I used to be.

I have more to say about this, but the words aren't forming. Maybe my communication skills still suck after all. ;)

wolfy

awsm
Also
I've become a lot more self confident as I have gained experience in different fields and life. This has translated into me being content to learn things and try things that from an outside perspective don't create value. Extrinsic value.

I think this comes from me being heavily perceiving so I am much more into the process than the goal.
The question why has driven me crazy at times. The answer to why is because I like it.

I hope that makes sense.  

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I've gained more patience with listening to and respecting other people's perspectives. I feel less and less convinced that my personal opinions are the ultimate answer to everything. Although I think it's helpful to know what you value and why, I don't like it when I find myself making swift-and-final value judgments about value-neutral stuff, and I try to be aware of that happening.

Also, when I was younger I had a "nice and sweet" surface persona, but underneath I was completely self-absorbed. Over the years (well, I'm 37 now), I've realized how often I cut people off, ignored them while they were speaking to me, or didn't notice others' feeling states unless it looked like they were feeling the same thing I was. I feel today that I have a lot more options as far as my behavior because I notice it as it affects others more, rather than just noticing my own actions for my own approval.

Sarah
ISFP

D

Dali

An INTP helped me to become less idealistic; unfortunately, I went to the other extreme and I'm now floating back to a comfortable median in that regard.

I question things a lot more than I previously did.

I'm less self-absorbed and I'm realising that others have as strong a sense of self as I do. I'm not the alpha and omega of the world, sadly.

I'm not necessarily happier than I previously was but I'm content with my ongoing development.