• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Why does it take ISFPs so long to develop Ni?

Allywally

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Dunno about the other ISFPs out there, but being competent in a conversation involving abstract thought is hard. I feel like I only get the hang of these conversations waaaaaaay into it, and then it's just to kind of add a one-liner. Anybody else have this problem?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My wife is a ISFP and struggles with this. Ni for her is sudden insights and singular vision of the future. It just isn't Ni like in a NJ....

cosmictone

Vagrant Terranaut
MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By abstract thought do you mean subjects such as theology, philosophy, psychology, or...astrology?
Because I really love studying topics of that nature. I've had few conversations though not because of lack of understanding, but because either I have no one to talk to or I doubt my own ability to succinctly express my own opinions.

I am 25 btw

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mom is an ISFP and she enjoyed her philosophy class in high school. She also was very clear about her beliefs about the world which was a clear Fi-Ni. She leans much more towards the concrete and worked with small children for her profession, so I don't think she was actually an INFP. IDK, I tend to find that the ISFP and ISTP can both be almost more intuitive than some N-doms at times. There are also very Se focused versions of the type that don't develop Ni much, so it's a diverse bunch.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I totally get that.

my wife is very smart. she is the best person at word games i have ever met and great at games in general.

but she has no desire whatsoever to engage in abstract thinking. When we first got together, I thought she would develop an interest in such over time.

Instead, if anything, her intetest in such has declined. She hated her college courses on more abstract topics, but excelled at practical ones.

One assignment her senior year stands out to be, even 17 years later. She had one last elective class and she took theatre. She had an assignment due while her brother was visiting. Ww dropped her off at the university library and cane back two hours later. She was stuck.

The assignment was to come up with a location to hold a revival of a play and to have an intetesting theme.

After we got back, she told me this. In 5 minutes I gave her the play, the location, and the theme (she hadn't asked me before to help) . Her teacher loved it and have her an A+.

But with no Ne and weak Ni, she just couldn't envision anything on her own.

On the other hand, my wife is the only person I can say is better than me at spacial use. I have helped load many moving trucks for many people and I an very good at it. She is much better, as she instantly she what can fit where and how to best make use of the space.

At the same time, she can't envision how a room would look without physically moving things around. She says she just can't see it in abstract...

I've always had interest in abstract concepts just for the sake of it and am not very practical like what the ISFP descriptions usually depict. I would say nearly all of the ISFPs here on this site have this interest, since typology itself is a very abstract subject. I also have no trouble envisioning something before the end result and treasure my imagination. I agree that all ISFPs are diverse. It depends on how much someone is willing to develop their Ni versus someone who uses more of their Se. I think my own tert-Ni started to really peak during my late teens, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Allywally

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I've always had interest in abstract concepts just for the sake of it and am not very practical like what the ISFP descriptions usually depict. I would say nearly all of the ISFPs here on this site have this interest, since typology itself is a very abstract subject. I also have no trouble envisioning something before the end result and treasure my imagination. I agree that all ISFPs are diverse. It depends on how much someone is willing to develop their Ni versus someone who uses more of their Se. I think my own tert-Ni started to really peak during my late teens, but I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I can agree with that. Ni probably peaks at different ages/levels in one's life. I guess it also helps if the ISFP is super interested in the subject matter being discussed

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like abstract concepts too. I don't think ni has anything to so with that. I'm just not the type of person that prides myself in being insightful or having secret knowlege, or psychic abilities, or a have a "i'm a visionary, so listen to me, or I know best,, or have a i'm smarter than you and everyone." The only thing i get online about ni or "intuitives" is that they think they are special and smarter and full of themselves. There i said it. The mbti questionnaires identify preference, not abilities.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Introverted rational types' minds trod and trod, they aren't hot rods... more like grain mills.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like some abstract art like surrealism and some symbolism. I think its kind of cool. I like to work some of into my artwork from time to time. I've done things like this since I was a kid. I prefer realism though.

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
At the same time, she can't envision how a room would look without physically moving things around. She says she just can't see it in abstract...

Actually, I've always been divided over whether this is Se or Ne; and consequently whether sensors or intuitives are more likely to fall into this trap. As I've understood it, sensors are better at recognizing how to manipulate the physical environment. Potential describes both Ne and Se - but with intuitives the issue is recognizing something that could be amazing only having no idea how to make it so: because Se in intuitives is weak. George Lucas comes to mind as a good example: the prequel trilogy in Star Wars has enough glimpses of brilliance to show that it should've been much better than the originals - only the attention to detail is so poor.

The military leader archetype is very much an Se-dom in Socionics (not an ENTJ); because Se recognizes the information it perceives. Si is de-valued, so there is no context to the sensory detail. It's just... recognizing what can physically be done with it. That's why Se is associated with force.

I am looking at functions from the Socionics point of view, by the way. I believe it makes a lot more sense. I honestly think what you're describing sounds like weak Se; it's something I also struggle with.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, I've always been divided over whether this is Se or Ne; and consequently whether sensors or intuitives are more likely to fall into this trap. As I've understood it, sensors are better at recognizing how to manipulate the physical environment. Potential describes both Ne and Se - but with intuitives the issue is recognizing something that could be amazing only having no idea how to make it so: because Se in intuitives is weak. George Lucas comes to mind as a good example: the prequel trilogy in Star Wars has enough glimpses of brilliance to show that it should've been much better than the originals - only the attention to detail is so poor.

The military leader archetype is very much an Se-dom in Socionics (not an ENTJ); because Se recognizes the information it perceives. Si is de-valued, so there is no context to the sensory detail. It's just... recognizing what can physically be done with it. That's why Se is associated with force.

I am looking at functions from the Socionics point of view, by the way. I believe it makes a lot more sense. I honestly think what you're describing sounds like weak Se; it's something I also struggle with.

?? What?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I don't do Socionics much. Just not my thing.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi can and does take interest in the abstract, even in ISFPs.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Fi can and does take interest in the abstract, even in ISFPs.

I feel anyone with a strong grasp over their Fi has at least some appreciation and use for the abstract. How else can one understand their depths without at least possessing the abstract language to navigate such waters. :)

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't do Socionics much. Just not my thing.

Then you are my enemy. MBTI is surrounded by paradoxes and I cannot deal with it. If it weren't for Socionics, I wouldn't have figured out I was Ti-Ne.

I'm an INTJ if you discount Socionics. Consider me one. I don't relate to Ti descriptions in MBTI because what they describe doesn't make sense.

Psyclepath

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

If I haven't made sense, please tell me what hasn't made sense.

Otherwise you just sound like a troll. I don't believe you are one, so I'd like to hear a more intelligent question.

Thank you for your co-operation.