• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Job Stability

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wasn't sure if this is necessarily an issue SPs can run into, but I'm curious so you will give me answers.

I feel as though for the most part, if an SP puts their blood, sweat, and tears into any job that needs done, it will get done very well. In order to produce blood, sweat, and tears for said job, any person would need some sort of motivation to do so. I've seen so many people who are at their current jobs or similar positions (with a promotion or two) for more than a decade at times, and I wonder, "Wow, how do they stick to something so long and not get sick of it?"

Maybe I'm the outlier, but I will color me impressed if I stick with a job for more than a year. My current job is now tacking on to 9 months (I'm not a surrogate) and I feel like I will lose my mind if I stay there for one more. I set a goal for myself to stick it out for a whole year, just to prove to myself that I can do this and not jump ship, but I can't stand what I do and want to do something more with my life.

Have any other SPs felt this way with job-hopping? If so, did you find a solution? If so, tell me your secrets. Thanks much! :thumbup:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasn't sure if this is necessarily an issue SPs can run into, but I'm curious so you will give me answers.

I feel as though for the most part, if an SP puts their blood, sweat, and tears into any job that needs done, it will get done very well. In order to produce blood, sweat, and tears for said job, any person would need some sort of motivation to do so. I've seen so many people who are at their current jobs or similar positions (with a promotion or two) for more than a decade at times, and I wonder, "Wow, how do they stick to something so long and not get sick of it?"

Maybe I'm the outlier, but I will color me impressed if I stick with a job for more than a year. My current job is now tacking on to 9 months (I'm not a surrogate) and I feel like I will lose my mind if I stay there for one more. I set a goal for myself to stick it out for a whole year, just to prove to myself that I can do this and not jump ship, but I can't stand what I do and want to do something more with my life.

Have any other SPs felt this way with job-hopping? If so, did you find a solution? If so, tell me your secrets. Thanks much! :thumbup:

I'm not an SP but can tell you that if you hop jobs all the time it starts to look bad on your resume. People won't want to hire you because they don't want to invest in someone just to have them leave once they get up to speed. I'm one of those decade long people and regularly reject resumes of people that have too much turnover on their resume.

You have constant variety in a lot of jobs. The thing is to take the initiative vs. waiting to be told what to do.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Are you talking about a job or a career?

What [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] said was accurate. As a manager of a restaurant, I wouldn't hire people who couldn't maintain at least 6 months at any one job at a time and it is super easy to see this pattern in someone's resume as a red flag against hiring. It's seriously one of the first thing employers look at. I know I did.

I did prefer those with a year. Then another year somewhere else. That was acceptable.

I know your feeling though. Luckily, I had always gotten promoted at my workplaces about a year in, and would have different responsibilities. So, maybe ask your boss about an adjacent move or a move to a different department within the same company?

At one place I worked I started as cook, moved to server, then bartender. I did every position in the place. I didn't get bored that way. You don't always have to leave and start fresh.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are you talking about a job or a career?

What [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] said was accurate. As a manager of a restaurant, I wouldn't hire people who couldn't maintain at least 6 months at any one job at a time and it is super easy to see this pattern in someone's resume as a red flag against hiring. It's seriously one of the first thing employers look at. I know I did.

I did prefer those with a year. Then another year somewhere else. That was acceptable.

I know your feeling though. Luckily, I had always gotten promoted at my workplaces about a year in, and would have different responsibilities. So, maybe ask your boss about an adjacent move or a move to a different department within the same company?

At one place I worked I started as cook, moved to server, then bartender. I did every position in the place. I didn't get bored that way. You don't always have to leave and start fresh.

Ideally I would like a career. I don't really have any direction so I don't think that's an option for me.

At first I thought about starting a career path with the company I currently work for, but it's very local and for the one job I did travel for I enjoyed the new challenges that came with it. It's hard for me to imagine that I would waste a whole decade of my life working for a company I don't believe in. Promotions sound appealing, but a lot of jobs I've worked (including this one) I've always dreaded working. Maybe I just hate all work.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ideally I would like a career. I don't really have any direction so I don't think that's an option for me.

At first I thought about starting a career path with the company I currently work for, but it's very local and for the one job I did travel for I enjoyed the new challenges that came with it. It's hard for me to imagine that I would waste a whole decade of my life working for a company I don't believe in. Promotions sound appealing, but a lot of jobs I've worked (including this one) I've always dreaded working. Maybe I just hate all work.

Have you thought about self-employment? It takes crazy dedication but at least it's not someone else's vision. Is that what is hard about staying at one place?

I would try to zone in on the 'why' you move on. You say "waste 10 years" it's obvious you need to work toward a belief, you need meaning, rather than just a job.

It's good to separate those two from each other and yet, realize they aren't completely separate.

So, I would ask myself different questions. Instead of "what do I want?" Ask "What do I know I don't want?"