• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are Sp's the most common types to be musicians?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, in trying to figure out musicians types it seems like a lot of them are Sp's and I wonder if there is a reason why it is so common? are they the one's most often drawn to playing and writing music?

I wonder if I am the odd one out here being and maybe not as naturally becoming for N's.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Usually the opposite is said on this forum, if you look through mbti musician lists.

I'd think though it's about half and half.

Madisonclark

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm an NP and I understand music better than any of my S musician friends...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an NP and I understand music better than any of my S musician friends...

haha, what does that even mean? 'understand music better' -- that's such a broad statement.

Madisonclark

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so
haha, what does that even mean? 'understand music better' -- that's such a broad statement.

I'm referring to music performance, technique, music theory, etc. (I'm a music teacher..)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm referring to music performance, technique, music theory, etc. (I'm a music teacher..)

Interesting. I was just curious. There's another professional musician/composer on here, in the classical realm, though she hasn't posted for quite a while, who has mentioned her thoughts on there being a significant number of S's in the classical music/performance world (she is an N), and I think her perspective differed. I'd have to try to dig up some of her posts, though I don't remember where she would have posted those thoughts.

Madisonclark

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so
Interesting. I haven't really thought about S vs N in the music world. I'd be interested in reading another's thoughts!

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Honestly, I was put off even trying to learn music theory forever because I was told how hard it was all of the time but upon actually trying I was surprised. I do not think it's that difficult.

I think there's a fair amount of N musicians, but there's still probably more Sp one's overall, at least if you look at the entertainment world and the like. It just seems like most N's are stereotyped or expected to be lost in books and theories all the time.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=28040]Madisonclark[/MENTION] A few of her posts:

fia said:
I'm not an SJ, but I will say that Si is an amazingly useful function in the world of classical music. I think that many of my colleagues are Si-doms or Si-aux.

I don't have proof of MBTI tests, but I suspect that a lot, if not the majority, of classical music instrumentalists are SJs. It's the field I work in and I see advantages in having Si for that particular skill set - for orchestral playing and soloist because you have to internalize the sensory details of a work to a significant degree and be able to recreate them. When that focused awareness of knowing when something perceived through the senses is right or not based on previous models is taken to an extreme level of detail, it is one of the bedrock skills required for classical music. I think that aspect is pure Si.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can pick up things musically very fast, and make it my own. My musical ability is to speak from within through tone, speed, etc. I suck at reading music. But once i learn the keys or notes i can change the speed, rhythm, etc. To get it to say what i want. I dont know anything about theory or rhythms or beats or any of that. But i can not only find the beat, but play with all different beats that flow with the current beat. Its all by ear and something else internal.

Madisonclark

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so
Honestly, I was put off even trying to learn music theory forever because I was told how hard it was all of the time but upon actually trying I was surprised. I do not think it's that difficult.

I think there's a fair amount of N musicians, but there's still probably more Sp one's overall, at least if you look at the entertainment world and the like. It just seems like most N's are stereotyped or expected to be lost in books and theories all the time.

I definitely agree with the stereotype. I guess I was always lost in music books and theories about music... [emoji848]

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would actually think sensors would have an advantage over music production, their physical intuition (or sensational archetype for Si) would run more free than a dominant intuitive would. Although I'd like to think I can create such beautiful works. :blush:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ENFP SO is a pro musician (how he earns his living) Berklee grad.

I have picked up guitar on his encouragement. He bought me one for our anniversary.

He has told me I have a better ear than most people he plays with. In all fairness, I'm not music dumb. I was forced by my dad to play piano as a kid - which, force and a child ISTP doesn't work.

But the playing by ear, I didn't think was special (I thought everyone could do it) and ignored it.

My ENFP was the one who told me that it was a talent that I should encourage. :blush: so that was pretty cool.

Saying all that, I really like the guitar and enjoy playing badly, at the moment.

-----

On topic tho, I don't think it is type related. I think different "types" of music may be more N or S driven. Maybe. I don't know.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would actually think sensors would have an advantage over music production, their physical intuition (or sensational archetype for Si) would run more free than a dominant intuitive would. Although I'd like to think I can create such beautiful works. :blush:

Funny you mention this but this is where I would like to play most. To create a "sound" or use musicians as a "tool" to create with their strengths...(which go unrecognized or unappreciated/underutilized) to guide them toward a better whole.

Production makes a lot of sense to me.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny you mention this but this is where I would like to play most. To create a "sound" or use musicians as a "tool" to create with their strengths...(which go unrecognized or unappreciated/underutilized) to guide them toward a better whole.

Production makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm glad you're on board. I find music production much more relaxing. I don't need to remember the sequence of playing. I can save!! Then each new sound I can be creative and play until I forge a path that will eventually be the melody or the rhythm and then layering.

It's such a beautiful process.

Trash Panda

Retired
I hated learning music theory in school. I was in band for six years and could never fully grasp it, or why I even needed to. I could play the thing and read the sheet, was that not good enough!?

Gabe_2

Usually the opposite is said on this forum, if you look through mbti musician lists.

I'd think though it's about half and half.

That's because most people on this forum believe "sensors are stupid" or some similar garbage, so everyone they respect and admire has to be an "N".

Gabe_2

Interesting. I haven't really thought about S vs N in the music world. I'd be interested in reading another's thoughts!

Well, "performance" is what improvisers (SP) excel at, so it makes sense that with music, both the culture and (maybe to some extent) the actual population demographics would be dominated by improvisers. Maybe take a look at the "Character and Personality Type" booklet, they explain the basic idea about this pretty well too. But of course whatever temperament values dominate in a given subculture, it doesn't mean everyone there is X. There are plenty of people who aren't theorists (NT) floating around in silicon valley. I like looking at what people seem to be trying to get out of doing music. For example, I think that Alan Bern (klezmer musician, leader of the Other Europeans project) is a catalyst (NF). I watched the documentary about the band that he lead, and throughout his leadership of the Other Europeans, he's always emphasizing the relationship of the music to broader culture/identity issues with the jewish and rom communities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBUwTPTuzA

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's because most people on this forum believe "sensors are stupid" or some similar garbage, so everyone they respect and admire has to be an "N".

You're dead wrong.