• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] What does "Aesthetic" mean to you?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Just a curiosity. I know it's a stereotype for SPs to be into appearances and "aesthetic", just like NFs are the daydreamers...ok, maybe just the NFPs :)

But as Se doms or auxs, what does aesthetic mean to you, and how important is it in your life? What are you getting out of it?

For me, aesthetic is pretty damn important to me. Perhaps that's why I secretly wish to be an ESFP :D But seriously, being able to project a certain image of myself is very important to me as it tells people right off the bat, who I am as an individual. The mannerisms I have, the demeanor and way I carry myself, and of course, what I wear and how I present myself, all come together to promote this image of myself. Anything I buy for myself, furniture, accessories for the home, this and that, absolutely has to be a reflection of myself. I feel it's just such an easy way to promote yourself as someone unique.

On a superficial level, I love changing up my image and look all the time depending on what mood I'm in. One day I'll go out as a mock hipster, and the next some pretentious art snob. And I don't just dress the part, my whole attitude and demeanor often changes too, just naturally.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fj = aesthetics, from my perspective. The I/E axis is irrelevant on this question. The S/N axis is equally irrelevant. It's rational (j) evaluation (F) that articulates itself as an inherent "aesthetic sense," from what I can tell.

:shrug:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Fj = aesthetics, from my experience. The I/E axes are irrelevant on this question. The S/N axes are equally irrelevant. It's rational (j) evaluation (F) that articulates itself as an inherent "aesthetic sense," from what I can tell.

:shrug:

Hmm, I always thought is was an Se thing, along with artistic sensibilities. Though both areas are definitely not limited to one function alone. Maybe I should've placed this thread in the general MBTI forum...

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I always thought is was an Se thing, along with artistic sensibilities. Though both areas are definitely not limited to one function alone. Maybe I should've placed this thread in the general MBTI forum...

All I can tell you is that I am very N, yet I also have a highly-refined sense of aesthetics (because I am Fj). [MENTION=26289]Silent[/MENTION], my wife, is strongly S, but she also has a highly-refined and sophisticated sense of aesthetics. I am EN. She is IS, but we both have strong aesthetics. We share F and j.

I am certain I read this somewhere. This isn't my idea, originally, and I looked for the source but couldn't find it, but I recall reading that the combination of F and j are what lead to a refined aesthetic sense.

As to where this thread belongs, your guess is probably better than mine. :shrug:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty into aesthetics but they are things which i deem to be aesthetically beautiful and maybe not conforming to the regular norm... e.g I love asymmetry... i love slight asymmetry on faces, in art, clothing, architecture and etc. I not keen on modern art, though I love futuristic and classical art (mostly). I find personalities attractive and intelligence beautiful, I find some quite extreme forms of beauty aesthetically beautiful and struggle with things I find ugly. Some housing estates i find so ugly i think i would be forced to kill myself with the depressing vibes they give off... the idea of waking up to that same dreadful aesthetic!
I'm not into minimalism but comfort and beauty. Hope that makes sense.

Also I do know plenty plenty ENFP's that are into aesthetics.... in a big way.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am very into aesthetics, which may be a result of my artistic hobbies and interests. It would be more related to sensing I should think, and everyone does this. Therefore imo there is no personality type that is more drawn to aesthetics. Perhaps it could be for difference reasons. It's hard to describe what my aesthetic style actually is.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aesthetics are super important. Too many people underestimate the degree to which style is substance.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ's have Se too. :mad: I'm not artistic enough? :irked:

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My nails are mint green right now and this makes me very happy. There are few pleasures to equal painting your nails, removing it five minutes later and doing it again.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
INFJ's have Se too. :mad: I'm not artistic enough? :irked:

Yaaa I'm starting to seriously think this should've just gone in the general MBTI thread and not SP specific. You artsy. I see dat profile of yours :newwink:

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am very into aesthetics, which may be a result of my artistic hobbies and interests. It would be more related to sensing I should think, and everyone does this. Therefore imo there is no personality type that is more drawn to aesthetics. Perhaps it could be for difference reasons. It's hard to describe what my aesthetic style actually is.

Ya, that's what I'm thinking too. Everyone has aesthetic preferences and sensibilities, but quite possibly for drastically different reasons. I for one, tend to look for the meaning behind aesthetics rather than the physical, this material looks good with that.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yaaa I'm starting to seriously think this should've just gone in the general MBTI thread and not SP specific. You artsy. I see dat profile of yours :newwink:

Yes. :gleam: I wish I got all the right pictures to make it even more beautiful.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tbh I have no idea what it means besides seeing it used to described visual and auditory art. I personally use it for whatever makes me feel good. :3

like when you're thirsty a nice glass of iced water would be aesthetic. I know I'm using the term wrong. >_>

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like others have said, I'm not sure it has a huge thing to do with type, it maybe is its own facet of personality, ie some people find aesthetics very important, or have a very particular or refined sense of what they like visually, others don't notice and/or don't care.

But I'll say what it's like for me. It's always been important to me, my space and how I decorate/arrange it, my style/how I carry myself, and my art. I don't know how to describe it other than all of it has to tie together for me, smoothly, as a whole, in a spatial sense as well as colors. Or with my clothing/look, it's not like I'm super into fashion or a certain look (though I do end up having a certain look, what I mean though, is I'm not on a mission to wear specific colors or specific brands or be 'hipster' or 'goth' or a certain segment) but what I wear needs to be 'cohesive', or something. 'Me'. With my living space, I have lots of colors and it's probably like a worldly ecclectic look, but also super cozy, though not chaotic; I just get this sense of where things should go, what works, it can't 'jar' me, has to flow. :shrug: With my art, if I don't feel I achieve this, I end up not really liking it/it bothers me, even if other people may think it's nice.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Looking on point. Makin' everything around you on point, too. Point-to-point.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That follows logically. EII is INFj in Socionics. As an Fj, you are predicted to have a refined aesthetic sense.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Like others have said, I'm not sure it has a huge thing to do with type, it maybe is its own facet of personality, ie some people find aesthetics very important, or have a very particular or refined sense of what they like visually, others don't notice and/or don't care.

But I'll say what it's like for me. It's always been important to me, my space and how I decorate/arrange it, my style/how I carry myself, and my art. I don't know how to describe it other than all of it has to tie together for me, smoothly, as a whole, in a spatial sense as well as colors. Or with my clothing/look, it's not like I'm super into fashion or a certain look (though I do end up having a certain look, what I mean though, is I'm not on a mission to wear specific colors or specific brands or be 'hipster' or 'goth' or a certain segment) but what I wear needs to be 'cohesive', or something. 'Me'. With my living space, I have lots of colors and it's probably like a worldly ecclectic look, but also super cozy, though not chaotic; I just get this sense of where things should go, what works, it can't 'jar' me, has to flow. :shrug: With my art, if I don't feel I achieve this, I end up not really liking it/it bothers me, even if other people may think it's nice.

Ya, this sounds much like myself. When it comes to art, I often put so much of myself into it too, my emotions and depth, that I'm also afraid of showing it off to others thinking that I'm just completely revealing my inner most feelings out for all to see. I tend to put a fair amount of effort into my environment such as at work or at home, for people to see it and think, oh, Dreamer lives here, or this is totally Dreamer's work area.

I'm also the same when it comes to clothing style. I can't even really describe my style, but a collection of experiences and histories that have accumulated over the years.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A sense of aesthetic should express a bit of you everywhere. Freedom of speech...

When someone sees my wardrobe or enters my house he/she thinks "you're an artist".

My clothes and house reflect some warm mysteries....something I can't say with words....the same for my tattoos...

If you can't judge a book by its cover you probably can know why you prefer one book or another.