• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Why I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror movies..

D

Dali

I love (well-made) horror movies, I love the adrenaline rush, the suspense... the everything. And at the same time, I'm traumatised by them, I jump the highest and I'm screaming on the inside (well, 6'4" men do turn a few heads when they scream outright).

I have a theory for this; we ISFPs are most in touch with our senses of sight, hearing... etc. and are most affected by them. Now, I'll most likely be the one making the biggest fuss over a beautiful painting and, at the same time, I'll most likely be the one jumping the highest at a monster on a movie-sized screen or a suspense building orchestra crescendo.

So, that's my theory of why I'm a horror movie wuss.

Because of my type.

Any reputable journal likely to let me write a full-length well-researched article on that? :D

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I freak out too.
I can't even deal with the music.

That slow building sound...

I don't watch that shit.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
That's a kick ass theory... I never thought of it that way but makes sense.

Well I do know some N types that get jumpy watching these movies though.

Me personally, I am that asshole talking throughout the movie the whole time, pointing out everything that was stupid, fake, or strange in the movie while its going. I have a knack for making a horror movie into a comedy. Honestly though, I cannot watch a movie by myself, I am seriously bored to tears no matter what the movie.

D

Dali

I freak out too.
I can't even deal with the music.

That slow building sound...

I don't watch that shit.

Really? I would have sworn most of them were based on you guys...

:D

Me personally, I am that asshole talking throughout the movie the whole time, pointing out everything that was stupid, fake, or strange in the movie while its going. I have a knack for making a horror movie into a comedy. Honestly though, I cannot watch a movie by myself, I am seriously bored to tears no matter what the movie.

Aaaarggh, you people drive me crazy!

I do try telling myself "it's only a movie.... only a movie... that actress right there that gets ripped in three by a mutant crocodile got up and grabbed some lunch as soon as the take was over... only a movie" but it never works!

alicia91

I'm totally freaked out also and can't watch them either. If I do, I'll have nightmares and think about it for years.

I can't watch any really violent movies either for the same reason.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Aaaarggh, you people drive me crazy!

Lol, I know, I really do feel really bad after the movie when I hear the people mumbling things like what an ass etc... I then know that I ruined a movie. $100 bucks says it would be kick ass to watch a movie with a 6'4" guy that not only screams out of fear (or what not) but could probably also kill me with his bare hands if he had to.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love (well-made) horror movies, I love the adrenaline rush, the suspense... the everything. And at the same time, I'm traumatised by them, I jump the highest and I'm screaming on the inside (well, 6'4" men do turn a few heads when they scream outright).

I have a theory for this; we ISFPs are most in touch with our senses of sight, hearing... etc. and are most affected by them. Now, I'll most likely be the one making the biggest fuss over a beautiful painting and, at the same time, I'll most likely be the one jumping the highest at a monster on a movie-sized screen or a suspense building orchestra crescendo.

Because of my type.

Any reputable journal likely to let me write a full-length well-researched article on that? :D

Don't like horror but feel this way about thrillers, I loooove them but the good ones totally freak me out, dunno that I'd say I get traumatised but they can stick with me :blush:

Guess you can strike me down as an NT wuss who likes punishing herself.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I think this is very likely S/N.

Films like "Don't Look Now" or "Picnic at Hanging Rock" I find far more frightening than 'horror' movies. And PaHR is a PG.

Atmosphere, ambiguity... stuff that plays with the mind rather than the senses.

I don't need anything explicitly frightening to keep me from being too scared to sleep at night.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Don't like horror but feel this way about thrillers, I loooove them but the good ones totally freak me out, dunno that I'd say I get traumatised but they can stick with me :blush:

Guess you can strike me down as an NT wuss who likes punishing herself.

Do you like others to help with punishing you? :devil:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
There are horror movies, and then there were classic horror movies that would most likely be considered Sci-Fi. I like the latter, but find the former pure non-sense with cheap theatrics.

D

Dali

Lol, I know, I really do feel really bad after the movie when I hear the people mumbling things like what an ass etc... I then know that I ruined a movie. $100 bucks says it would be kick ass to watch a movie with a 6'4" guy that not only screams out of fear (or what not) but could probably also kill me with his bare hands if he had to.

I can assure you; it is not a pretty sight!

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are you captivated by most movies? If you are it may not just be horror films that affect you. It may be that you have the ability to get "swept away" in others' experiences so much so that you start to identify and feel what others do just by being around certain stimulus.

I get into movies but I don't "feel" the way the characters in the movies are meant to feel. I definitely keep a third person perspective.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
So you're not scared by horrors :huh:

LMFAO, I just never get it with woman. They can totally be attractive and still see them selves as uglier than.... well, I don't know what... but not pretty.

I have seen your old profile pic, and you is quite the Oz hotty. Man weird, either they be fishing for compliments (which I know this INTJ is not) or they really think that maybe they aren't bad looking but just plain average.

D

Dali

Are you captivated by most movies? If you are it may not just be horror films that affect you. It may be that you have the ability to get "swept away" in others' experiences so much so that you start to identify and feel what others do just by being around certain stimulus.

I get into movies but I don't "feel" the way the characters in the movies are meant to feel. I definitely keep a third person perspective.

Hmmm... that's a good point right there. I find it incredibly easy to identify with a character. Perhaps I might find a facet of their persona that we share or that I understand on a deeper level. It's actually rather easy for me to get really involved in a good movie from the character's POV.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmmm... that's a good point right there. I find it incredibly easy to identify with a character. Perhaps I might find a facet of their persona that we share or that I understand on a deeper level. It's actually rather easy for me to get really involved in a good movie from the character's POV.

Well, then maybe that's your answer. You get caught up in the characters and their experience. It seems perfectly understandable that if the "experience" includes someone chasing you with a chainsaw... you might not want to go through that too often:)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Because of my type.

I am an ISFJ and react the same way to horror movies, or any movie for that matter (provided it's good). One time I threw my shoe at the TV screen cos I got mad when this actor cheated on his wife in the movie. I guess I didn't realize that I was not in the movie. hahahaha

Oh, I don't watch horrors. Too traumatizing.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I only like horror movies if they're pretty much comedy movies with some gore in them. The real dark stuff I don't like. It has to have a sense of humor, and preferably hot chicks.