• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Why I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror movies..

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I only like horror movies if they're pretty much comedy movies with some gore in them. The real dark stuff I don't like. It has to have a sense of humor, and preferably hot chicks.

I'm sorry, but I must plug shamelessly. Mark it up! (** WARNING GRAPHIC LINK **) Yes, I'm looking forward to that film. No, I don't generally like horror.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To tell you the truth I don't watch horror movies because they are boring to me.

They are boring because nothing really happens in them. Actally horror video games are much better.
Trust me if you spend months in this kind of environment everything that comes form Hollywood will be funny to you.

D

Dali

I am an ISFJ and react the same way to horror movies, or any movie for that matter (provided it's good). One time I threw my shoe at the TV screen cos I got mad when this actor cheated on his wife in the movie. I guess I didn't realize that I was not in the movie. hahahaha

Oh, I don't watch horrors. Too traumatizing.

Did you break the screen? :hi::laugh:I recently watched Rouge and had to close my eyes during some parts.

EEEK! just doesn't cover it.

I only like horror movies if they're pretty much comedy movies with some gore in them. The real dark stuff I don't like. It has to have a sense of humor, and preferably hot chicks.

Are you wary of watching the really dark ones or do you just not like them?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think this is very likely S/N.

Films like "Don't Look Now" or "Picnic at Hanging Rock" I find far more frightening than 'horror' movies. And PaHR is a PG.

Atmosphere, ambiguity... stuff that plays with the mind rather than the senses.

I don't need anything explicitly frightening to keep me from being too scared to sleep at night.

I totally agree that suspense films and the like can hold a lot more to them, I guess because the character is deveoloped better with the storyline, so its either you're really into it in the first place or not at all sort of feeling.

Are you captivated by most movies? If you are it may not just be horror films that affect you. It may be that you have the ability to get "swept away" in others' experiences so much so that you start to identify and feel what others do just by being around certain stimulus.

I get into movies but I don't "feel" the way the characters in the movies are meant to feel. I definitely keep a third person perspective.

I definitely get that way! I will cry, laugh, yell, get angry right along with the characters.. if I don't feel like I am in the movie, I still empathize with them so much that I'm completely absorbed. People will talk to me while watching movies and I won't hear them, or I'll scream or jump.

Last night I watched In Bruges, and although I was laughing at all the funny parts, the sad parts would make me cry right alongside the character, despite me laughing at all the comedy the way people should that are watching the scene. It makes for a very silly way of doing things.

As to the gaming comment: I can agree there. Fatal Frame scared me, and Silent Hill did make me jump a bit, albeit I did think it was more cool than scary. Doom I haven't ventured to play.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP

Films like "Don't Look Now" or "Picnic at Hanging Rock" I find far more frightening than 'horror' movies. And PaHR is a PG.

I don't need anything explicitly frightening to keep me from being too scared to sleep at night.

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" stayed with me for days. Not that I don't enjoy a good jump-out-of-your-seat horror flick. "1408" made me jump (and gave my friend an opportunity to laugh at me) but once it was over, it was over.

There was a book I read in junior high that really freaked me out as well. After more years than I care to think about I can still remember the kind of "don't look behind you" dread it induced.

I don't particularly enjoy movies that include scenes I know in advance I'd really prefer not to see. The cover-your-eyes bits. And the episodes of Fear Factor that involve eating repulsive things set off a serious gag reaction.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As to the gaming comment: I can agree there. Fatal Frame scared me, and Silent Hill did make me jump a bit, albeit I did think it was more cool than scary. Doom I haven't ventured to play.

The catch about the video games is that they have personal approach and fact that winking will not solve the problem is huge plus.

Only real flaw is that you get use to it and then the beauty of any kind of horror is lost.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The catch about the video games is that they have personal approach and fact that winking will not solve the problem is huge plus.

Only real flaw is that you get use to it and then the beauty of any kind of horror is lost.

I can see the replay value going tremendously down the tubes after you know what to expect, but you're right! I didn't think of that, Fatal Frame WAS scary because I'd jump and drop the controller, but it wouldnt make the ghost go away! There was no movie to continue until I DID something about it.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm definitely in with the Picnic at Hanging Rocks crowd. The more it's left up to the imagination, the scarier it is. Jaws, for instance, was always scarier when there was no shark in view. And, despite all the ridiculing and spoofing which later ensued, I thought The Blair Witch Project was a fucking awesome horror movie. What could make the dude stand in the corner like that? Was it the same guy who disappeared a couple of days before who was calling out to them and laughing during the night? Why would he do that? Wtf is going on??? I saw a Disney movie (non-animated) when I was a kid which featured the ghost of a little girl who had died somehow at the bottom of a well. She kept singing "Frere Jacques". I had nightmares about that for months afterwards.

More traditional horror movies (blood guts n gore) are fun to watch, but not that scary.

D

Dali

I do love a good thriller too and haven't seen the PaHR movie but I did find the book well unsettling.

But I'll agree that I prefer to not have too much left to the imagination. Not to say that I don't have one (an imagination). It's more the S and wanting to experience/hear/see the horror.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm sorry, but I must plug shamelessly. Mark it up! (** WARNING GRAPHIC LINK **) Yes, I'm looking forward to that film. No, I don't generally like horror.

That didn't seem the least bit entertaining to me. But then, it's totally out of context, so I have no idea what's going on.

Are you wary of watching the really dark ones or do you just not like them?

Do you mean "wary of" like I think it will give me nightmares? Probably sometimes. Sometimes I just find them boring. But it's been a long time since I've seen one, I just don't watch them now. The last "dark" seeming movie that I went to was The Incredible Hulk, and I found it very boring. I didn't bother to see the newest Batman movie because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. I realize those aren't horror movies, but they are examples of stuff I consider dark.

sassafrassquatch

I laugh at horror movies but I can't watch them because seeing women die in movies put me in a homicidal rage for a few days.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Lol, horror movies take time to "get out" of me, I remember watching the grudge at 13 and being phobic of long dark haired ladies for over two months? and then that noise...that dreadful noise! they passed the commercial on the radio at night when I was about to sleep=> I was this close to peeing in my pants!LOL
Nope, horror movies are not for me :(

D

Dali

The music; a good, perfectly composed 'well-placed' score (that accompanies a good plot) will have me jumping inside.

What scares you?