• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are SPs truly reckless hedonists?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
My ISTP though, he whines like a granny even when it's good driving in good conditions. He's just a terrible back seat driver, which is just even more annoying since he hasn't even passed his test and yet he's telling an instructor what to do. But he's always uber safety conscious. We all call him Hard-hat or Goggles cos he's the only one in high school who always used his goggles during science (even the teacher didn't), and he's the only one I know who actually puts on the hard hat they give you when you go into this ruined castle near us, damn place has stood for 700 years and no stone has moved for 300 years, yet he's all "you never know!" and tutting at us for being "reckless" lol

Keep in mind that a large part of the SP "competence" in being "physically capable" comes from a sort of heightened alertness of their surroundings. I'm hyper-careful when I don't think I'm in control, and I don't mean mentally in control, but a sort of... risk judgment on what could happen. An intuitive feel for the situation, pardon the expression :D

It ends up meaning that I'm super-careful when I don't feel in tune with the environment around me, then doing absolutely crazy things when I am.

Oh, and any time that I sense people are not in that zone, I get terrified of their ability, no matter how unfair it is. Distracted people disturb me - that is, if they distract themselves and their driving changes, I *know* they aren't in the zone anymore.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Keep in mind that a large part of the SP "competence" in being "physically capable" comes from a sort of heightened alertness of their surroundings. I'm hyper-careful when I don't think I'm in control, and I don't mean mentally in control, but a sort of... risk judgment on what could happen. An intuitive feel for the situation, pardon the expression :D

Precisely. Unless you have given me a lot of reason to think otherwise, I do not naturally trust you when what you're doing has the potential to hurt me if you screw up. I on the other hand, completely trust myself and know (usually), what is likely to go wrong and what isn't.

It ends up meaning that I'm super-careful when I don't feel in tune with the environment around me, then doing absolutely crazy things when I am.

Exactly me. Confuses the hell out of people sometimes. "You just jumped off the roof for no reason, but you won't hold this while I cut it because it's dangerous???"

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
This is a little bit of a tangent, but it pertains to the "SP recklessness" theme.

Has any of you seen "Into the Wild"? I think that movie illustrates perfectly how awesome being an SP can be. But also displays some of the potential pitfalls.

I think the main character is an ISTP or ISFP. I'm absolutely positive only an SP could burn their money, abandon their car and just go "into the wild". He also only took calculated risks. To some of us, it looked crazy - but he always looked like he was in control.

He lived more in a few years than most people do in a lifetime.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
This is a little bit of a tangent, but it pertains to the "SP recklessness" theme.

Has any of you seen "Into the Wild"? I think that movie illustrates perfectly how awesome being an SP can be. But also displays some of the potential pitfalls.

I think the main character is an ISTP or ISFP. I'm absolutely positive only an SP could burn their money, abandon their car and just go "into the wild". He also only took calculated risks. To some of us, it looked crazy - but he always looked like he was in control.

He lived more in a few years than most people do in a lifetime.

Heh. Yeah, I read the book and saw the movie, and my guess was McCandless was an ISFP.

Not that I have any desire to go roughing it in the wild, much less in Alaska! :D But I do understand his motives, even if he was awfully single-minded.

Sarah

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP

What's also interesting about him, is that no one would probably even know any of the story, if he'd swam back across the river and returned successfully. (As he probably could have, although he appeared to not think he could, which was his downfall).