• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are SPs truly reckless hedonists?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am the same way!!! Thank you, Jeffster, this really helps me finally feel certain I've not been mistyped. I mean, I have actually met an INFP in person -- as in, the genuine article, not just someone who thinks he/she might be INFP -- and I can see the differences right away, but it's really hard to tell children's types because they haven't exactly "filled out" and started using their secondary function yet.

I actually fit a lot of the Keirsey ISFP type description -- even including some of the stereotypes -- but I think his description of the SP temperament seems to be mostly describing what dominant Se looks like, especially in the chapter on kids. But it I did always bother me that there was something missing in the ISFP description. I agree with you that adding a description of Fi rounds out the personality type a lot more.

I was SOOOO totally introverted feeling a kid and as a teenager. I could only get into what was going on around me if it was something I decided to value first, and I totally resisted anyone's efforts to push me into experiences I didn't want. I think my Fi saved me from a life of conforming to popular opinion, or doing dumb stuff because "everyone else" was doing it. That's not to say that I didn't choose to do a lot of silly stuff when I was a teenager anyway... heh. ;)

Sarah

Man, I feel like we could sit and talk and just keep saying "TOTALLY!" to each other over and over. ;)

Sometimes I've thought about how much more trouble I would've gotten into if I had just been a little more assertive. I often feel like I was "saved by my Fi" but then other times tortured by it.

People sometimes see me as lazy.... and quiet, and then it's like somebody suddenly lit a fire under me. The truth is, the fire is always there, but there's this built-in filter thingy that doesn't always let it out.

I see in my son what it's like to have the fire on the surface almost all the time. He's only 9, but he fits most of the ESTP descriptions very well. We have so much alike, but are very different in our expression, especially as children. He has gotten into all kinds of trouble in school for not being able to contain himself basically, whereas I very rarely had that problem, instead teachers just thought I was either stupid or I was smart and just wasn't trying.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Man, I feel like we could sit and talk and just keep saying "TOTALLY!" to each other over and over. ;)

Sometimes I've thought about how much more trouble I would've gotten into if I had just been a little more assertive. I often feel like I was "saved by my Fi" but then other times tortured by it.

People sometimes see me as lazy.... and quiet, and then it's like somebody suddenly lit a fire under me. The truth is, the fire is always there, but there's this built-in filter thingy that doesn't always let it out.

I see in my son what it's like to have the fire on the surface almost all the time. He's only 9, but he fits most of the ESTP descriptions very well. We have so much alike, but are very different in our expression, especially as children. He has gotten into all kinds of trouble in school for not being able to contain himself basically, whereas I very rarely had that problem, instead teachers just thought I was either stupid or I was smart and just wasn't trying.

What else can I say to this but... TOTALLY! :D I can totally relate to all of that. Only my teachers just thought I had a daydreaming problem and/or a severe shyness problem.

Your SP son is lucky to have a dad who can completely undestand his exhuberant personality, and who doesn't try to reform it into something else. :)

Sarah

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This reply is late, but I had to respond! *
for me the answer is yes! :( It gets to be expensive.

I always have a starbucks special in hand, I drink heavily at times, I smoke delicious cigars, I go on crazy shopping sprees, I like to eat out, I drive fast, I bust out into song and dance when I'm either very bored or very excited, I love to get my hair done, I need loud music on to get chores done, I flirt indiscriminately. The examples go on and on. and on.

I don't do drugs, though. And on the plus side, I like to be outside, run, eat healthy, and drink lots of water to make my body feel good, too...

Doppleganger

MBTI Type
IxtP
Enneagram
5w4
Reckless? not really
Hedonistic? Only if you ask one of those live to work types ;)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Man, I feel like we could sit and talk and just keep saying "TOTALLY!" to each other over and over.

:yes:

I relate to that a lot! I'm just to wrapped up on the inside to really notice it. I've been called really out there at times by people my age [ Which is one of the reasons it's taken me forever to define my type :doh: - Be sides the stereotyping ISFPs as too shallow to be me. Developed N I guess ] but all the adults/teachers/post-18ers see me as a good kid. :blush:

Now to find a way to motivate myself to get schoolwork done..... :doh:

Algora J

ESTPs are great

ESFPs on the other hand, I find them annoying for so many reasons.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ISTP's are pussies when they're not in control. They shit themselves :laugh:

Well, mine is!

ISFP's are less so, cos they'll trust you more.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
This reply is late, but I had to respond! *
for me the answer is yes! :( It gets to be expensive.

I always have a starbucks special in hand, I drink heavily at times, I smoke delicious cigars, I go on crazy shopping sprees, I like to eat out, I drive fast, I bust out into song and dance when I'm either very bored or very excited, I love to get my hair done, I need loud music on to get chores done, I flirt indiscriminately. The examples go on and on. and on.

I don't do drugs, though. And on the plus side, I like to be outside, run, eat healthy, and drink lots of water to make my body feel good, too...
:D

Everyone who doesn't like ESFPs can kiss my ass.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
...what I meant was that my ISTP will be all "need for speed" and all that when it comes to HIM driving, but get him out of the driving seat and he's white knuckles all the way, the worst back seat driver I have ever known. He doesn't even have a licence and yet he'll keep pointing stuff out and telling me to slow down for corners and stuff haha, even when it's my brother driving - a driving instructor himself - the ISTP will not just relax and trust him and enjoy the ride, at the slightest hint of anything being 'not completely safe' he's exclaiming and stuff, when you stop he'll get out and say woah, now my chest can recover! (even though nothing of note happened!)

So like, though my ISFP seems able to trust the driver and just go wooooooohooooo!!! when there's some adverse driving conditions and you peg it round a sharp corner in 4th gear in the rain, the ISTP's inability to trust makes him just go all anal and pussy. And he never misses a chance to lecture me when I don't wear my seat belt. ISFP just shrugs.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I hate reckless driving, I'd tell the driver they're an effin idiot.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
...what I meant was that my ISTP will be all "need for speed" and all that when it comes to HIM driving, but get him out of the driving seat and he's white knuckles all the way, the worst back seat driver I have ever known. He doesn't even have a licence and yet he'll keep pointing stuff out and telling me to slow down for corners and stuff haha, even when it's my brother driving - a driving instructor himself - the ISTP will not just relax and trust him and enjoy the ride, at the slightest hint of anything being 'not completely safe' he's exclaiming and stuff, when you stop he'll get out and say woah, now my chest can recover! (even though nothing of note happened!)

Yeah, I get so tense being in a car with someone like that. Their aggressive, combative, dictatorial style sucks all the pleasure out of driving OR riding as a passenger.

So like, though my ISFP seems able to trust the driver and just go wooooooohooooo!!! when there's some adverse driving conditions and you peg it round a sharp corner in 4th gear in the rain, the ISTP's inability to trust makes him just go all anal and pussy. And he never misses a chance to lecture me when I don't wear my seat belt. ISFP just shrugs.

Driving can be pleasurable, and so can riding as a passenger, and I think it involves getting into this comfort zone where you feel as if the car were an extension of your body. Then you don't get bent out of shape by other drivers, and the car's pace feels natural to you. :)

Sarah

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm a controlled hedonist. Too poor to be a reckless hedonist.

I can relate to this a lot. I can take risks when I feel like I'm in control of a situation. Because then it's not such a big risk as it would otherwise. It takes a fair bit of respect for someone else's ability before I feel comfortable relinquishing control over some things, and even then soemtimes I'm mroe tense than if it were me taking the risks.

That and hedonism for me is being able to enjoy things. I don't particularly enjoy being in intense agony, so reckless risk taking is something that has never appealed to me.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate reckless driving, I'd tell the driver they're an effin idiot.

me too, if they WERE driving recklessly. I'm not talking about reckless driving here, but just GOOD driving in difficult conditions, like heavy rain, steep slopes, sharp corners etc., but especially in the case of the driving instructor who has passed three advanced driving tests and knows exactly what he's doing, is driving his own car on a well-known road, I'd sit back and enjoy the ride and not be worried at all unless the driver was.

My ISTP though, he whines like a granny even when it's good driving in good conditions. He's just a terrible back seat driver, which is just even more annoying since he hasn't even passed his test and yet he's telling an instructor what to do. But he's always uber safety conscious. We all call him Hard-hat or Goggles cos he's the only one in high school who always used his goggles during science (even the teacher didn't), and he's the only one I know who actually puts on the hard hat they give you when you go into this ruined castle near us, damn place has stood for 700 years and no stone has moved for 300 years, yet he's all "you never know!" and tutting at us for being "reckless" lol

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I can relate to this a lot. I can take risks when I feel like I'm in control of a situation. Because then it's not such a big risk as it would otherwise. It takes a fair bit of respect for someone else's ability before I feel comfortable relinquishing control over some things, and even then soemtimes I'm mroe tense than if it were me taking the risks.

That and hedonism for me is being able to enjoy things. I don't particularly enjoy being in intense agony, so reckless risk taking is something that has never appealed to me.

Your definition of hedonistic is a lot like mine: I think of it as focusing your mind and body on the pleasurable aspects of whatever you encounter instead of dwelling on the negatives. Also, having a strong desire to turn everything in your daily life into an object of beauty, sensual delight, and having the ability to turn challenges into fun and exciting games. :)

And we have similar views regarding risk-taking: I think of it as quickly assessing a situation and making an instant decision that's in line with what you see as being a desirable outcome, without unnecessary waffling around. I think SPs feel good about taking risks that have the potential to bring about a desirable situation. Having an impact on others doesn't necessarily mean doing stupid things to get attention.

Sarah

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Having an impact on others doesn't necessarily mean doing stupid things to get attention.

No, but that can be fun too. :D

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
me too, if they WERE driving recklessly. I'm not talking about reckless driving here, but just GOOD driving in difficult conditions, like heavy rain, steep slopes, sharp corners etc., but especially in the case of the driving instructor who has passed three advanced driving tests and knows exactly what he's doing, is driving his own car on a well-known road, I'd sit back and enjoy the ride and not be worried at all unless the driver was.

Is it an open road? with other road users? I just hate the idea of playing dice with other people's lives. I've seen and heard about too many "good" drivers that stuff up (being human) and kill someone. I have no problem with people taking risks with their own lives, I just don't like it when they start doing it with others. If someone I was driving felt uncomfortable or "pussy" about the way I was driving I would happily slow down for them, maybe it's an F thing...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is it an open road? with other road users? I just hate the idea of playing dice with other people's lives. I've seen and heard about too many "good" drivers that stuff up (being human) and kill someone. I have no problem with people taking risks with their own lives, I just don't like it when they start doing it with others. If someone I was driving felt uncomfortable or "pussy" about the way I was driving I would happily slow down for them, maybe it's an F thing...

Like I say, we're talking normal road, normal driving, no other passengers nor driver are in the slightest concerned, but ISTP is doing backflips at every single bend, telling you to "mind that cyclist! (who is right in front of you and wearing a high vis. jacket and whom you had clearly already clocked)" and "watch out for that pedestrian! (who is half a km away and on the sidewalk)". You're driving under the speed limit and obviously in perfect control. Honestly, to slow down for him you'd be holding up the traffic!! Like I said he's known for being very overly and conspicuously safety conscious, more so than most reasonable people, hence the nicknames since high school that I mentioned before. The ISFP that was with us at the time was fine, she was cool and relaxed and found ISTP's overbearing safety-consciousness irritating and kept telling him to ffs calm down and trust the driver, who had been driving for 30 years without so much as a single bump or scratch.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Oh ok, haha I think I missed the point. :D

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram