• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are SPs truly reckless hedonists?

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
I was sharing descriptions of SP personality types with my mother, and she just kept shaking her head and laughing. "But this sounds nothing like you. The person they're describing here is reckless, selfish, irresponsible and dangerous. You never act like that. I don't think this is correct."

I am fairly responsible. I never drink, never drug. I don't have a thing for tools. I do not go skydiving, nor do I want to. I take my duties seriously. I do not believe in Luck. I am dependable... loyal, etc. And yes, I've read the SJ type descriptions, and that's not me.

So, what say you fellow SPs? Are you a reckless lot who riot, loot and don't give a hoot?

This is the type description my mother read: Only a Game: Artisan

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
We are reckless in thought, but not all of us are in action. I think the introverted SPs do a better job of checking the dangerous impulses, though they can come out sometimes if we're really stressed. I would say more often we are spontaneous and impulsive in a fun way rather than dangerous. Everybody can be selfish sometimes, and I do admit to plenty of irresponsibilty but I think I have become more responsible as I got older and matured.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Jeffster said it well. The "reckless" part, depends on the person in my opinion.

However, one of the first lines in that puts it well, " a hedonistic drive to enjoy life". That is my goal in life, to enjoy it. What that entails, varies from person to person.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll challenge an SP to a hedonist contest any day.

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
I was sharing descriptions of SP personality types with my mother, and she just kept shaking her head and laughing. "But this sounds nothing like you. The person they're describing here is reckless, selfish, irresponsible and dangerous. You never act like that. I don't think this is correct."

I am fairly responsible. I never drink, never drug. I don't have a thing for tools. I do not go skydiving, nor do I want to. I take my duties seriously. I do not believe in Luck. I am dependable... loyal, etc. And yes, I've read the SJ type descriptions, and that's not me.

So, what say you fellow SPs? Are you a reckless lot who riot, loot and don't give a hoot?

This is the type description my mother read: Only a Game: Artisan

I'm the same way and im an istp, so it really depends on the person.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with millerm and kayin. Maybe it's the extroverted SPs that are more reckless? I'm not sure. (Or maybe we just don't see ourselves as reckless :laugh:)

alicia91

I'm not wreckless either, never have been. Actually I'm very dependable, though I have a way of making quick decisions, often changing my mind fast, going one step backwards then two steps forward - this may seem a bit haphazard but I'll guarantee that I'll deliver what I promise (and on time if applicable).

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Salty Wench -- OMG, I love your name! :holy:

Speaking of salt -- take general 'quad' descriptions with a grain of it.

I knew an ISFP male in his early 30s. He was extremly thoughtful and even reserved in his demeanor. Practical and sensible about money.

Sensual? Yes.

Dissolute degenerate? No.

If we are going on stereotype, the 'reckless' SP is more likely the ISTP or the ESXP.

Now --- when are we gonna read your introduction thread? :D

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

[/url]

No, all SPs aren't walking disasters. Most people aren't very careful in how they define "hedonism" and other words Keirsey used to describe the SP temperament. People automatically think of words like impulsive, risk-taking, hedonistic in their worst possible light, so no wonder they think badly of our temperament.

Better definitions:

Hedonistic: focusing your mind and body on the pleasurable aspects of whatever you encounter instead of dwelling on the negatives. Also, having a strong desire to turn everything in your daily life into an object of beauty, sensual delight, and having the ability to turn challenges into fun and exciting games.

Impulsive: instant decision-making. Having no need to analyze in-depth or agonize over what has been done before or what others would do in your situation.

Risk-taking: quickly assessing a situation and making an instant decision (see impulsive) that's in line with what you see as being a desirable outcome, with no waffling around. SPs feel good about taking risks that have potential to bring about a hugely desirable situation. this is what Keirsey means by "having impact" on others -- not that you do stupid things to get attention, but rather that you take a risk that's related to something you want to achieve. Sure, SOME SPs are attracted to extreme sports, but not all of us really care about whether or not we face down death like that (some of us think ther'es a lot more pleasure to be had in creating art, making good food, growing beautiful gardens, etc, than doing death-defying stunts, and that there are many ways of getting ooos and aaaahs from others. ;)

I'm an ISFP, and I've never damaged my body with drugs, do not have any addictions, and do not engage in extreme activities like skydiving (no desire to). I love to cook, but I eat very healthy food because I love my body and don't want to mistreat it. I love to dance and I love to exercise but I hate sports, and was never "athletic" in terms of loving ball games. I am responsible when it comes to jobs and activities I value. Sure, I have to value something in order to want to be responsible, but then, there's lots of things worth valuing out there.

So am I hedonistic? You bet! But only if you define hedonism the way I do.

Am I irresponsible? Well, I don't think I'm too bad. I keep my promises to people I care about, and I do well in pretty much everything I've felt passionate about. I have a husband (an ENFJ) whom I adore and whom I'm faithful to.

Am I an underachiever, or a mute, silent loner (stereotypes of the ISFP type)? No, I don't think so. I have a bachelo'rs degree in fine art, and a master's degree in library science, and and a job as a a professional youth services librarian and I love my job because it gives me a lot of variety, and I get to do a lot of programming for kids of all ages, including art programs. I love to draw, and majored in fine art in college. with the kids. I have a number of close friends whom I love.

I think a lot of what's written about the SP temperament is either about the extraverts or else about people who have not bothered to value personal growth. I don't think you need to have a PREFERENCE for intuition in order to want to be a lifelong learner, and I really despise how the negative examples of SPs out there have made everyone believe that this is all that people of the SP temperament can possibly accomplish.

Sarah
(new poster)

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, there, fellow ISFP. :)

Omgsh. You're psychic. That's amazing. Oh oh! Tell me about my future! I end up marrying Paul Walker don't I?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow, Sarah, that was an awesome post. Your husband is a blessed man. :)

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Omgsh. You're psychic. That's amazing. Oh oh! Tell me about my future! I end up marrying Paul Walker don't I?

(consults crystal ball -- and tertiary introverted iNtuition)

Nooo, you end up marrying... wait a sec, why'm I about to spoil your fun?

You don't reeeeeeally want to know what's in your future, do you?

Actually, I think people who feel they must consult psychics them them are probably afraid of confronting the future with grace and strength. The future should be full of serendipitous surprises -- and if I'm going to suffer, why worry about it now, while I'm enjoying life? ;)

Sarah

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(consults crystal ball -- and tertiary introverted iNtuition)

Nooo, you end up marrying... wait a sec, why'm I about to spoil your fun?

You don't reeeeeeally want to know what's in your future, do you?

Actually, I think people who feel they must consult psychics them them are probably afraid of confronting the future with grace and strength. The future should be full of serendipitous surprises -- and if I'm going to suffer, why worry about it now, while I'm enjoying life? ;)

Sarah

I KNEW I ended up marrying Paul Walker. :D

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Wow, Sarah, that was an awesome post. Your husband is a blessed man. :)

Awww, thanks. My hubby is my Better Half. I'm seriously lucky to have sombody who understands me better than I understand myself -- and who still loves me ANYWAY (whoo!) ;)

I dated a lot of men before I found him, though.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hope Sarah stays.