• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Can an ESFP be introverted?

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of the descriptions I see about ESFPs, even the ones that use cognitive functions, essentially describe them as extroverted, reckless party-animals who love to have a good time and are very people-oriented.

To me, though, looking at their function stack Se - Fi - Te - Ni, it seems like you could also have an ESFP that's very clued into their surroundings/body and wants to live in the moment, but is introspective and prefers to spend a lot of their "present moments" with a few chosen people, and may need some space to determine how they feel about a situation.

But I don't know any verified ESFPs in real life, so I'm asking the ESFPs here. How would you describe yourselves? Do you think it's possible to have a more subdued ESFP that may be more introverted in personality?

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By definition they are not introverted, or are at least more extroverted than introverted.

That said, the reckless party-animal bit is just a stereotype. I know at least two ESFPs who I'm very close with. The first, I met when we were 10. He is quite shy, despite being an extrovert. He has lots of fears and hang-ups. When we order at a fast food counter, I would always order for him, as that's one of his things. (For some reason he's ok at a sit-down restaurant.) This ESFP likes being around lots of friends, and prefers dancing to talking. But once he knows you, he doesn't shut up. While he doesn't enjoy talkin about feelings, he can turn anything into a string of bad puns. So trying to get a deep conversation going always ends in banter. He isn't reckless in most cases, but tends to spend his money without remembering bills. He's getting better about that, though.

The other, I met at work and roomed with for some time. He is very loud and jovial, extraordinarily outgoing. He thinks of himself as a party animal, and kinda is. But it's more the type of party classy adults throw. I couldn't imagine him in a club scene. He is anything but reckless, as he is a little ambitious. He tends to use his gifts to impress others and make networking contacts. I didn't know him as a teenager, but aparently he did have a reckless phase in high school.

Both of them are into dance and theater. Both are resistant to conversation that is no longer fun and light. Both are easily excited about new experiences and very spontaneous. And both are unable to sleep without noise. Both can be very cold and calculating when pushed. Other than that, they are entirely different people.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of the descriptions I see about ESFPs, even the ones that use cognitive functions, essentially describe them as extroverted, reckless party-animals who love to have a good time and are very people-oriented.

To me, though, looking at their function stack Se - Fi - Te - Ni, it seems like you could also have an ESFP that's very clued into their surroundings/body and wants to live in the moment, but is introspective and prefers to spend a lot of their "present moments" with a few chosen people, and may need some space to determine how they feel about a situation.

But I don't know any verified ESFPs in real life, so I'm asking the ESFPs here. How would you describe yourselves? Do you think it's possible to have a more subdued ESFP that may be more introverted in personality?

I have been typed ENTP, ENFP, and ESFP.

ESFP describes me the best in most parts of my life. I can be quite introvert because I need some time alone thinking about the subjects I wanna master (for security reasons or for my own pleasure),

work on them, get well informed ...etc. I love reading, and writing.

I don't party (I don't like to be around people who just wanna have fun without really paying attention to who I am), I do have my "chosen people" to support me, have fun with and encourage each others.

But it is true I can't spend one day without talking to someone, and if I don't see someone during the day (that because I'm working by night so ...most of the my daytime present, I need a rest !),

I'll for sure write emails, talk on forums, make people laugh, share my philosophies, look for intellectual discoveries.

My boyfriend has complained "I am always looking for something new", but it is not all about sex and pleasure, it is about deep connection and sharing, observing differences, reading people's minds,

learning about body languages, languages too,spiritual balance and so on. I work best in a funny, unconventional, open-minded place. If not, I'd rather die on the spot !

Se : I know what I observe/ I wanna know what I'm observing !

Fi : I know what I feel/want

Te: I tell it to you !

Ni : That sucks sometimes.:wacko: But if I'm not under stress I'm not gonna be paranoid !:shocking:

I think my best ability is : being present, whatever happens : taking pleasure, talking philosophy, driving fast, understanding someone, being angry, observing and analyzing.

All at once. That's life:smoke:

I think I am able to feel many things through my 5 senses and love "working with my body" (sports, meditation, yoga, dancing, theatre, sexuality).

Let's say I'm a kind of amphibian. I'm breathing throughout my own skin.

images.jpg

When I feel stressed I really need some time to be alone. Unless I shout at everyone how unfair is the world.:ng_mad:

Generally, I'm not an extrovert to talk about what I despise (I keep it as a feeling for myself), what I find stupid, or what I'm not concerned with.

I'm extrovert about subjects I'm passionate with, with people I trust, in a friendly atmosphere. Other atmospheres are just simply not for me :dry::dry:

I hope my comment can help :hi:

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you both for your responses! It was really helpful to hear a little bit about what "real life" ESFPs are like.

To give some insight into why I'm asking this question, for a long time I have believed that my husband is an ISFP. However, I'm beginning to second guess that for several reasons. He seems to have a very well-developed Thinking function, and also seems to use Se more than any of his other functions. However, I am almost positive that he is not an Fe-user, as he is the quintessential, "I do what I want!" Fi-user, and is constantly asking me (an Fe-user) why I even care what other people think and to do what makes me happy. Since ESFP's use Se first and then Fi and Te, I thought perhaps he just has very well-developed aux and tert functions. But, he is a clear-cut introvert who gets drained after a small get-together with friends. While he displays the "live in the moment" attitude of an ESFP, excels at every sport he tries, and jumps on any opportunity to use his body in relation to the outside world around him, he is not someone motivated or energized by being around people. He's very charismatic, a great speaker, and everyone loves him, but he doesn't particularly care to be around anyone (except me of course).

In short, I was trying to determine if he fits into the ESFP type despite some of his obvious differences to the general description. There is still the chance that he's a Thinker instead of a Feeler, I guess, but I really do feel like he is a Feeler with a very well-developed Thinking function. Any input from the SPs out there would be greatly appreciated! He's definitely one of you, just not sure which type!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone needs personal space and time to reflect and introspect (to some degree). It's natural ESFPs need this from time to time as well, so I imagine they go through periods or phases that could be considered introverted.

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um... ISFPs are Fi users, not Fe. I believe their stack is Fi-Se-Ni-Te. From your description, he sounds like an ISFP that is just outgoing. (My current roomy is an ISFP. There is a definate pattern in my friends and roomies. lol) Since the Fi is practically invisible, Se seems to be the driving force for both ISFPs and ESFPs if one is looking at it from the outside. The only real difference between extroverts and introverts are how one gets their energy. And some of us are pretty close to the middle, which makes it harder to tell. Also, alot of feelers who are men have a fairly well-developed thinking function because of social expectations and work. So preference is more important than what he feels compelled to use. You might look into how the different types use their function under stress and what sort of pitfalls they usually encounter. It might help a bit? Best of luck! Hopefully more ESFPs will chime in with their insights as well.