• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP vs ENFJ?

plastic ciel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All right, so I'd love to hear other ESTPs or ENFJs opinions about this.

My father is either a 3w2 or a 8w9 sx/so. He uses so much Fe and Se (I think he's probably in a bit of a loop). I previously thought he was definitely an ENFJ, but now I'm starting to think he may be an ESTP with strong and horrible Fe.

He loves Se-type things, like strenuous physical activity, luxurious things, money, etc. He seems to have a high Ni as well, always a clear direction of what he's going to do, and also a fan of museums. Then again, he seems to have an equal Ti by trying to rationalize things for himself, quite a lot. Lots of Fe, he is very emotionally open, expressive, very amazingly attuned to environments. He's very charismatic, could be a 'cult leader' (that type, you know) and knows how to manipulate others' emotions, etc. Definite extrovert, he gets lonely and crazy when left alone for five minutes.

Anyway, I wanted xNFJs/xSTPs to give some suggestions. All his functions seem pretty equal--I originally said ENFJ because of high Fe, but then I realized his Ti seemed to be too strong. So maybe an ESTP in a Se-Fe loop? I'm not sure.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of my oldest and closest friends is an ENFJ. A huge difference between us is that when we watch movies, he can always figure out what will happen much later on but thankfully he won't tell me. When it happens, if I'm surprised, I'll ask him "What did you think about that?" and he'll say "Oh I knew that would happen when this happened earlier. It foreshadowed it." Then I'll think "Wow, that's cool you could do that. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense." In my head, though, I'm slightly jealous that I couldn't do that. We can both tell when we're going to be fired from a job. I think he probably sees it coming long before I do though.
Also, he's very good at agreeing with many people and seeing many different perspectives. For me, something has to make logical sense to me before I can see the person's point. We both lie to avoid open conflict if the person seems to be dead-set in their opinion, but in my opinion I think an ENFJ would be more likely to do this than an ESTP, based on the strength of Fe in each type.
When with the people that matter most to me, I feel no shame at all in showing or telling them how much they mean to me. Although I'd rather just do them a favor or physically bond with them.
He also seems more uptight in his photos than I do. I'm almost always smiling because nobody wants to see somebody with a straight face in a photo, right? He doesn't seem to think that's important in photos, though. Just an observation.
Anyway, that's what I can tell you to compare and contrast myself from my best friend, an ENFJ. Tell me if that helps you understand or reach a conclusion.

plastic ciel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks! That actually really does help.

Based on this, I think I would type him as an ESTP, most likely. He doesn't really foresee things in movies the way my Ni-dom mother does, and he uses Ti to understand things. He still avoids conflict, though.

So yes, I would go with ESTP primarily, most likely, who uses lots of Fe.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks! That actually really does help.

Based on this, I think I would type him as an ESTP, most likely. He doesn't really foresee things in movies the way my Ni-dom mother does, and he uses Ti to understand things. He still avoids conflict, though.

So yes, I would go with ESTP primarily, most likely, who uses lots of Fe.

Glad to hear you were able to figure that out. Hopefully that helps you get along better now.