• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] What is Se to you?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
A combination of two letters.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I draw an object, I look at the object for what it is. I look at where the light hits the object and where its shadows are and how it relates to the objects around it. I draw it for what it is and try and make the art about the beauty of the object. I don't do impressionism. I don't get it really.

As the title asks, what is Se to you?

That's a great way to think of Se, at least a great way for me to visualize it better. We were taught to draw that way in architecture school and to think about what actually happens at the event between two materials or two planes. I can think in this way but it doesn't come naturally for me. It's not easy for me to take the meaning away from an object and to simply see something as a collection of shapes and shadows.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
What is Se? I don't really know. How do I know something is Se and not Si?
I suppose I could throw down a list of things I do and y'all can tell me whether or not that's Se or Si?

I've been an artist as long as I can remember. 3yos usually draw crappy stick figures, right? Not me. I drew Teletubbies in detail. I had a good sense of how to draw a person's face (and was never quite happy with the upside-down seven that was how my grandmother taught me to draw noses), complete with the nosebleeds and pants-soiling tendencies I had at that age. I once decided, after seeing that my aunt had a black refrigerator, that I wanted my play refrigerator to be black instead of white, so I scribbled on it with black crayon; my parents didn't like that much. I was also known for taking the ink things out of markers and drawing on my (white) dresser and myself with them. Nowadays I maintain a DeviantArt account, and while I don't post everything, I think the stuff on there is pretty good for an amateur (going with the "amor" = love definition of "amateur" rather than "novice"). I gravitate toward realism and styles with thick, solid lines and contrasting colors, as well as drawings with some intellectual variable (ex: drawing spirographs with a protractor and a ruler, dual colorability of 2-dimensional graphs where each shape is a closed figure, and other things you can learn about on ViHart's YouTube channel).

I have perfect pitch (I prefer to call it absolute pitch but eh). I get asked about it a lot, and I've come up with the following ways to explain it:
Q: "What is it like?"
A: "I can hear a pitch and know that it's an A the same way that I can look at your shirt and know that it's red without comparing it to a color wheel. Similarly, if you ask me to give you an A, I can give you an A as easily as I can pick out the red marker in the box."
A: "I suppose you could also call it a permanent pitch memory."
Q: "When did you first discover you had perfect pitch?"
A: "Honestly, I never put any thought into it. I thought it was normal. It never even crossed my mind that some people just couldn't. I found out in high school when I was correcting someone on a note, and our guest technician ground our sectional to a screeching halt, ran to the piano, plunked a bunch of notes and chords which I identified correctly, and started having a fit because "Ohmigod you have perfect pitch!" I didn't understand-- was that not a normal thing?"
Q: "Oh, so it just kind of always was there?"
A: "Obviously I had to learn it at some point, but I don't remember how or when. I don't remember how or when I learned the color red either though."
Q: "Do you hear pitches in people's voices when they talk?"
A: "When I focus on it, yes. Otherwise I tend to ignore it."

Also it means my relative pitch sucks lol. Our music school teaches Aural Training with movable "do" (relative pitch). I tested out of that class because I can fake relative pitch with perfect pitch. For example, I hear a G3 and a C4, and I automatically go, "G3 and C4." "Perfect fourth" or "P4" is secondary, conscious.

I had a short bout of tinnitus in my senior(?) year of high school, where one ear had a dull roar, like the sound you get when you're taking off in an airplane. Through that roar, whenever someone talked, I could hear their voices both at their speaking pitches and at higher harmonics above. Furthermore, anything I heard in that ear that was pitched I heard a half step lower. Our bell for lunch was a B4. My good ear would hear B4, but my tinnitus ear would be hearing A#/Bb4. And since the sound itself hadn't changed and I wasn't receiving both pitches in one ear, it didn't sound dissonant at all. Of course, by the time I got an appointment with an ENT it had gone away. Murphy, right?

In other music-related things, I've been able to pick up wind instruments very quickly when given the opportunity. Originally I started on piano (but never liked to practice), dabbled a little on the electric organ in my grandparents' living room, learned flute in 6th grade, clarinet and alto sax in 7th, (all while picking up fingerings, embouchure techniques, etc from oboe and brass instruments without actually playing the instruments), a little bit of percussion in high school, etc etc. I "accidentally" memorize most of my music, as well as other people's music. This makes me a crappy section member because I'm the one pointing out the flaws instead of letting the section leader (who's soooo much slower at it ugh) do it.
This was also a thing in marching band. "No, you're supposed to be there, not there. See how you line up with these people? Now fix it." "[Snickie], shut up, you're a freshman, you don't know anything, let the section leaders do their job." *inf Fe kicks in and I sulk in silence for the next few rehearsals, biting my tongue every time someone sets the form wrong and nobody else seems to notice*

I know how to assemble and disassemble my clarinet, and I learned it without the diagram they gave us at summer clarinet academy. In high school, I figured out how to sort-of replace some pads on an oboe. I say sort-of because we didn't actually have pads that fit the key so I improvised by cutting out some cork. Also I didn't have a torch to melt the glue so I had to scrub it out of the key manually.

I am sensitive to changes in the sounds of the road when driving. My parents never even noticed until I pointed it out to them, maybe a year ago, but I've been noticing it since preschool at least. Also it's one reason I love (or used to love, before all the construction madness) driving on I-4 through downtown Orlando. There's a rhythm in the what I can best describe as panels in the road that I've always loved.

I'm sensitive to the smell of raw celery. My parents make fun of me for this all the time. I don't like working with raw celery because the smell clings to my hands for hours afterwards. It's not that it's an offensive smell. It just lingers... There are other things I'd rather smell.

I don't know if this counts, but I was a picky eater as a child. I liked bland things. White pasta with margarine, macaroni & cheese, white rice with margarine, white bread (without the crust! though apparently as a baby I only liked the crust), milk, etc etc etc. I also ate broccoli, spinach, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, etc. I learned in kindergarten that if you were allergic to something, you couldn't eat it. So anytime someone tried to serve me something I didn't like, I told them I was allergic. My parents found out and laughed as they corrected the teacher that, no, I wasn't allergic to anything. I've opened up to different foods over time, and I've gone from a cheap date ("we'll have sushi, and she'll just have a bowl of white rice") to an expensive date. No in-between. XD I still don't like cornbread, beans (except for green beans), or peppers (any kind) though, and I'm very picky about my apples and bananas.

I am a texture eater. So as much as I like the taste of chicken dark meat, if I chew on something that's even questionable (if I get a part of the meat near the bone that's just a little chewier than the rest), my gag reflex kicks in and I lose all my appetite. Same thing if I accidentally chew a fish bone, or a piece of fat or grissle on a steak (I'm sure the fat tastes good, but I wouldn't know because I get so wigged out on the texture), or an uncooked part of a sweet potato. On the other hand, I like baby octopus, which is decidedly very chewy and also very interesting on the surface level.

I've never considered myself an athlete, although I've done athletic-ish things in my life.
I started a 5k training program a few months ago (and had to quit in the past two weeks due to massive amounts of homework and lack of sleep, especially with my junior recital coming up).
I did Judo for a year, did sort of okay I guess?, until the day I threw up on the mat and I just couldn't anymore. Ju no Kata was good though. I was a master at that. Nagi no Kata not so much. I also used to be really good at climbing the rope in the dojo, though I admit my technique wasn't exactly great.
I was a gold swimmer when I was 3-4yo. Then I didn't swim for a few years (lack of access) and my mom's fear of everything invaded my mind and made me not a strong swimmer when I took classes again when I was 8. (They weren't beginner classes, just a summer thing...)
I've taken swing dancing lessons in the past year. I'm okay at it...

Uhhhhh. What else is sensory? Uhh.... vivid dreams? Grapheme-color ideasthesia? Chromesthesia? (Even though these are both secondary.) Clothes? Clothes. I gravitate toward bright colors (though not neon bright). But I've been trying to pull myself away from that lately.

OrangePeelZest

MBTI Type
ESTP
As someone who leads with Se...
It is driving through town, blasting music, completely absorbed in the road... the music can't get loud enough and the car can't go fast enough. Suddenly you notice your hands on the steering wheel and the feeling is so great... your heart is pumping for no reason, and you feel like you are the most powerful entity on earth. Nothing exists... you yourself no longer exist... you are now only the physical euphoria of the moment. Then a commercial break comes on the radio... you look down at the clock and realize two hours have passed.
That's Se.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think my Se expresses itself in an unending desire for variety and novelty, when something is new and I just view it as fun/enjoyable/interesting it can be intoxicating. Nothing is as good as when it is new. I can never settle on one thing. As a child my favorite animal was always changing, when choosing a program for college I couldn't make up my mind, in a big part because so many options seemed so interesting. I might stay within a category of something I like, but not on one thing. For example I used to play electric bass, but then wanted to expand to guitar and drums (to be fair, drums was to make me a better bassist, but don't I didn't consider just switching over to drums). I have a hard time staying with things and if left unchecked I would probably just bounce around to a lot of different things. I also have a tendency to pay a lot of attention to aesthetics. I am very visual. I think combined with Fi I tend to size up an outfit or anything aesthetically just instinctively to judge whether everything matches up. I also have a bit of talent when it comes to decorating and the visual arts. I also love indulging the senses, there is an intoxicating basic satisfaction in doing that. Like just this summer, taking in the scent of the Queen Anne's lace mixed with the humid wind was absolutely revitalizing. Unfortunately I am not that handy or athletic. I guess I kind of do alright in grappling sports. Also I think because of Se and probably Fi I wasn't a very consistent student. School was so boring. Favorite class in high school: welding. Unstructured and hands on. Also taking a desk job would be hard. I have thought of myself as lazy, but I would rather be active then not. I also have a weird feeling of concentration, like I am being sucked in when I do certain hands on things, like drawing or painting or photography or even playing with play-doh with the kids. Also doing range of motion exercises with the disabled folks I work with. I don't know if this is Se or Se and Fi, but I really hate structure. At my job as a caregiver. Do you know what I hate most? Cleaning dirty depends? Vomit? Blood? Cleaning their homes? nope. Paper work. I would rather clean crap off of someone then do paperwork. I am also not a good planner, to do lists are really a fantasy at best for me. I would say I am much more of an improviser or responder to things. I tend to do things last minute and depending on what it is, I am surprised how many times I can pull something out of my ass and get away with it. I seem to do better improvising with creative stuff, especially writing/communicating/improvising humor. I kind of just do things I suppose, for better or for worse. When came to college and picking a program, I tried to really be thorough in making my decision and it didn't work out. Honestly how my brain works is, I have to get this done, the first idea that pops into my head or one of the first few, I know it will work and I would just do it. There wasn't an extensive planning process or an analysis of options or even just brainstorming stuff. I just think and do. Not always the best way I know, but it is just how I am.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a rather subjective response because on the one hand I'm rather spacey and do get lost a lot in new locations (although I'm a good driver), am hesitant to travel, so I lack a certain aptitude for navigating the concrete world in the moment. (I may be an equal INTJ-ISFP hybrid, so not classic use of Se)

For me Se is when I'm alone in nature and I look up at the clouds as though I've never seen a cloud before. That is the secret behind a feeling of complete wonder - to be able to experience it again as though for the first time. That is something I have in common with my ISFP mother, who also loved to look up at the clouds and dream. When I don't feel that wonder and immersion on a daily basis, I feel sick and dried up.

For me Se is also that feeling of complete passion when your express deep feeling with your body. As a child I was obsessed with doing gymnastics and was fairly good until I reach puberty and my weight redistributed. I always wanted to be a dancer, but was raised in a religion that didn't allow it, but I think I could have been fairly good at it. I used to be extremely limber, although didn't have a lot of muscle endurance. When dancing with improvisation when younger, some people thought I had training, which I didn't, so I may have some coordination and grace in movement, although I can still trip over stuff.

For me Se is also being able to let go of the ways my body has hurt/been hurt in the past. I should be more flinching about certain things, but I'm not. There is one aspect to my physical body that gifts me with a certain freedom to feel as though for the first time.

For me Se is also the happy memories of having an incredibly yummy dinner. Eating at a special little cafe that has some excellent chefs, and sharing that with one person I love, is among my best memories. One un-Se-like thing I do though, is to usually order the same thing. If I find something amazingly delicious, the risk of order something else and being disappointed is a bit much. A 100% Se person would be more adventurous in that regard I suspect. I'm not motivated to be a good cook, and even my mother didn't cook much, but I always wish amazing dinners would magically appear. I can relate to animals in this regard.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think of Se as experiencing life through the concrete, sensory experiences that life has to offer me. The high I experience after walking for more than a few miles. The giddiness I feel whenever I eat something especially delicious. The peace I feel after a good workout and meditation. The cheap thrill of watching a horror movie or doing a physically exhilarating action, such as bungee jumping.

IndigoViolet11

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Se...

A headache x.x

Being able to extract enough to present concrete matters to others so they at least understand what I am saying.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I LOVE these descriptions and all the anecdotes from your lives. Just gotta say I love this forum. ❤️

The way others have described my personality is creative chaos, which quite honestly is a direct description of my Se. When it manifests positively, it's an unending stream of ideas. I decide I want to do something (like study something new, write a story, start a business, or make life choices) and it's like a burst of adrenalin where it's all that drives me and motivates me. I get really behind whatever this is, and try to do everything to make it possible RIGHT NOW. From going somewhere new, enrolling in a new course, learning a new language (I can speak 4 fluently but have probably tried to learn at least 6 others), to a new book idea, it has to be possible and it has to show results or I will lose sight of it.
My Se has no mindfulness of the future and all that matters is the present moment. 6 months of waiting feel like an eternity and I'll change my mind 5 times by then. That's where the negative side comes in: if it's not shiny and new and exciting, it's really hard for me to be excited about it. Consistency and predictability for long periods of time weight heavily on me and I often feel like I'm stagnating. It's why I've switched jobs so often (because they no longer engaged me), why I have so much education (because I get bored and want something "better"), why I have moved and travelled, and why I know a few basics of Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch, and Italian even though I'll probably never fully commit to any of those languages.
It's also why it's really hard for me to be engaged in theoretical or hypothetical discussions for so long because for me, if I can't realize it right now, I have no interest in could be and might be.

Liriope

I hope this isn't too bad of a necro, but there isn't much happening in this subforum and I wanted to air grievances a little bit.

When I first got into typology, I didn't think I was a strong Se user because the descriptions were too poetic or intense or something. What does it mean to be "tuned in" to the environment? I don't have to tune into anything; it's just there. I also wasn't super athletic growing up because I never practiced sports (actually when we did sports in P.E. I could never pay attention when they explained the rules, so I always played wrong :whistling:). And I've never been dangerously reckless. I have a solid self-preservation instinct and I know how learn from other people's stupid mistakes to refrain from doing something stupid myself.

To me Se is just reality and being comfortable with being a part of it. Memory is not always reliable, and the future is even less reliable. The only truly trustworthy source of information is what's happening right at this moment, and I know I can change it if I need to, even if it requires perseverance. It's a mentality like, "One way or another I'm going to get this to work, or I'll find something better."

Also, when people say they can tune out their senses, I never realized just how literally they meant it until I met people like that IRL. My idea of "tuning out" is focusing on a thought and relaxing my eyes, but still being fully aware of all the sounds and the motion in my periphery. Otherwise I must be asleep or comatose. :shrug:

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Taking what someone says literal.

Knowing on the spot.

Religion: yummy, comfy, & eye candy