• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] When do ISTPs share their deeper emotions?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm wondering under what circumstances do ISTPs let a person "in," and share their feelings? Question for the ISTPs and those who have experience with this lovely type :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My little brother will very occasionally open up to me, and we'll have a conversation about that kinda stuff, but it's very rare, I try to treasure those conversations because I feel like I'm connected to him a little more when we do that. But it's probly good that most of our conversations are about funny websites/videos/Jim Rome show/hot babes/The Simpsons. Too much deep talk would just be weird. :)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Generally, no. It's not ever "typical" behavior for me to be discussing my deeper emotions with other people, that is kept to myself. The exception is when I'm highly stressed, and it's someone I really trust (and know wouldn't mind listening/talking about it), I let a bit out/discuss a bit to "release" some of it. However, in normal day to day life, it isn't something that I'll discuss, nor is it something I will even give an answer to if asked about.

Whether this is normal for ISTPs or not, I'm not sure.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But it's probly good that most of our conversations are about funny websites/videos/Jim Rome show/hot babes/The Simpsons. Too much deep talk would just be weird. :)

Even for an F? Men ;)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Generally, no. It's not ever "typical" behavior for me to be discussing my deeper emotions with other people, that is kept to myself.

Even with someone you really trust and are close to?

Btw, changed the title from "do" to "when." I didn't want to assume anyone avoided emotions entirely.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
What's a deeper emotion and why do you want to borrow one?

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
Depends how close the person is, I usually only share things with loved ones aka people I trust. But thats a rare few. But even when its people like that, I tend to only give half of the information if you know what I mean.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
With my istp father, everyone is really clear about his emotions. Though he was, when I was a young boy not so forthcoming with his emotions, I now as an adult know what it was all about. He is Libra by sign and though I do not believe in those signs, his greatest wish is always harmony.

In my opinion, if you want to, you can get an istp to cry on you. But in that moment you maybe notice that you are totally out of line and have overstepped your boundaries. Cause from what I know from my father, he is one of the greatest Dads you can have.

Btw.: He always likes to say that he would have become an investment broker, if he had the chance (which he hadnt) and not a plumber. xD He runs his own plumbing company at the moment now for like 30 years and you can say, we are pretty rich :). But that investment broker thing reminds me of the MBTI and the close connection between istp and istj. Maybe J after all, is in fact something that comes with age.

Oh dear good that will make me entj. Hope I am wrong xD

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a really good ISTP friend. In the 5 years I've known him, he has talked about his feelings maybe 3 times. Of course, it's a scale. He usually talks about the consequences of the feelings rather directly (aka, what is stressing him), just not the feelings themselves.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Suppose they don't have them. :mellow:

wolfy

awsm
I'd rather not sit down and talk emotions, I might have to explain myself and the last thing I want is to get into a long talk about emotions.Unless I'm drunk :cheers: really drunk :9436:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I talk about my emotions only with the right people and more importantly, in the right circumstances. Privacy is a big factor. Time/ability to talk in depth. Generally it has to fit into the conversation somehow, so I'm not just blurting out random stuff. Otherwise, something has to be fairly upsetting for me to bring it up.

I'll also talk about different emotions with different people, of course.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I used to never share deeper emotions, but I've begun to open up a little more now that I'm in my mid-twenties. I can see that sometimes it is beneficial to share what I'm feeling, especially when I think that the other person might care to know, or when I think sharing them might make a positive difference.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely don't like to talk about my emotions, though I talk about them with people that I feel very close too. I vacillate between "word vomit" (as my friend calls it) and taciturnity. I hate the feeling right after you open up to someone and you don't know how they've perceived what you said.

So, I avoid it. ;)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Myers-Briggs claims that ISTPs are the most prone to keeping very important things to themselves. Naomi Quenck warns that one should not attempt to have Ti dominant types share their feelings while under stress. In fact if you are lucky enough to recognize there may be a problem with them, just allow them to work it out on their own.

It's clear that ISTPs may have a plethora of reasons for not sharing their feelings that can range from being burned when younger for sharing their feelings (Jung describes Ti types as those most susceptible to being taken advantage of in relationships). Ti in general (or Te) has Fi as their opposite depending on whose theory so they have problems with internalizing their feelings. Or they may take their feelings too lightly. Also Ti is highly independent and consider that to be a sign of vulnerability and oh yea did I mention that Myers-Briggs, Keirsey and other theorists say that STPs are the types that are most prone to the belief that talk is cheap and that action speaks louder than words? I would think that both types would prefer to show their feelings by taking some action.