• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Setting up own business as an SP?

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok I'm 32 years old. I've had many different jobs in careers that others may consider interesting or exciting. I think I hoped I might consider them interesting or exciting.

Ultimately I've come to the conclusion that I've had enough of working for arseholes.
Or working for anyone for that matter.

So I'm setting up my own business. Wondering if any other SPs, particularly ISTPs or ESTPs have their own businesses? Has it worked out well for you? Do you prefer it to working for other people?

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's a type thing, but I don't seem to fit well into most jobs.

I'm thinking this move will be the one that saves me and changes my life.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Strange. I'm going through the motions now to do the same. It would be a side business - one that I could do online - while still keeping my day job (logistics, driving ).

I was miserable with most jobs and just naturally got bored or stressed (being in management). So I've often had more than one job at a time, so I'm not bored.

I love my job now. It's perfect. It's physical, outdoors, no boss looking over my shoulder, no kissing ass. It's been about a year and just picked up another part time bartending gig (yesterday lol) that was too good not to pass up. So I'm happy for now.

Since I'm not stressed I have more time for things I've always wanted to do. So that's why I'm doing the ground work for the online/side business.

Good luck. I think we would be good at anything we put effort into.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I've had a similar job history. More than one job at once was my preference to relieve boredom. I think I'm just getting old and bitter and HATE being managed. So I need to be in charge and I think the fact I'm working for me will give me the passion and desire to succeed.
Although that theory could well be bollocks. Ask me in a year! Ha!

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go for it. I can totally relate to that need for autonomy. I quit a lot of jobs in my early 20s for this reason. Even after I started teaching I switched districts a couple of times (job market was better and you could do that back then) until I found one that was a good fit my personality.

Can't say I own a business, but my wife and I help to run a martial arts school that her parents own. It's great. They've talked about selling the school to us when they retire, so maybe someday.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do it. Like all my imaginary SP friends tell me, "you're only getting older."

Portia

MBTI Type
ISTP
Here is a supportive thought...

Steve Jobs was an ISTP. Starting his own business worked out well for him.

wolfy

awsm
Good luck! I have done small side businesses. It is hard work, a lot of hard work. I would like to do something again too, I want to create a real gym where I live. A training facility.

Anyway, I don't think type matters. I think it is more desire, resilience and hard work.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really have much of a desire to run a business... it sounds like a lot of tedious paperwork and such that I'd rather not deal with. I grew up helping run a small family business and am aware as to what sort of work goes into such a thing and I really don't find it particularly thrilling

however, I completely understand dissatisfaction with bosses... they are generally quite the disappointment and have an overdeveloped sense of their own importance. I don't think I'll ever be completely happy working, but then again, that's why I have life outside of work. Generally AT work I manage to intimidate my bosses and be competent enough that I tend to be left alone. :)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
The more transactions the more paperwork. Better to do it for yourself than someone else though.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ok I'm 32 years old. I've had many different jobs in careers that others may consider interesting or exciting. I think I hoped I might consider them interesting or exciting.

Ultimately I've come to the conclusion that I've had enough of working for arseholes.

So I'm setting up my own business. Wondering if any other SPs, particularly ISTPs or ESTPs have their own businesses? Has it worked out well for you? Do you prefer it to working for other people?

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's a type thing, but I don't seem to fit well into most jobs.

I have a side-project going, and I love it. But a few suggestions, 1) Know how much time/money you are willing to invest in your endeavor and get a rough estimate of how much it will require (are they equal? how can you bridge the gap?). 2) Find a partner or two (a successful business needs techies, business types, and moms/HR reps if you have or plan to have employees), you might be able to fill more than one of these positions in the start up phase but it's very rare anyone has the ability AND time for all three, so find someone who can fill in where your weaknesses are and where you have your time/money gap. 3) Get into the business for the right reasons. Do you have something to add to the world? Are you going to make lives easier, more convenient, an industry or activity more accessible?... or... Are you running from a boss, busy-work, and/or red-tape? Welcome to the world of business partners, investors, patent lawsuits, C-corp/S-corp/LLC governance, safety inspections, and plenty of other non-sense. Are you deifying people like Gates, Jobs, and Zuckerberg? Have you created a new OS that all, businesses, colleges, and home CPUs are going to adopt? Have you figured out a way to put an iPhone on the back of someone's eye-lids and a thought activated iPod in her ear canal? Or maybe a way to telepathically stay in touch with old friends at great distances? No, damn, because those would be awesome. But all joking aside go back to the adage,"know thyself" and make it, "know thy business". If you are on the forefront of a new industry then best of luck to you, all I can say is stay in the know, but if you are joining an existing and probably crowded industry like I have, then it's an uphill fight to get brand recognition. So what makes your brand any different? Your green, guess what? no one cares because so are 100 other companies... so get specific. Your better quality? They all say that... so prove it. You've patented a new design? The old one worked just fine... show me how it's easier to use.

Preparation is your ally, movement is your new best friend, and luck is your mistress.

Good luck!

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My ISTP s.o. and I are about to set up a business breeding sand boas, because we're both too much hellions to get 9-to-5 jobs.

Not sure whether or not we'll succeed, due to the fact that we spend a lot of the time 'winging it', but we'll rely upon each others' Senex functions; I'll help get things organized with my Senex Te (it sucks, but SOMEONE has to do it), and then he'll use his massive storehouse of reptile knowledge (Senex Si) to help make sure we're doing the right thing.

Proof we're xSTPs; we do everything else rationally/by-the-book, yet we're too impatient to wait until next season, so we took a bit of a risk by ordering our reptiles during colder months. While I have reasonable confidence the boas will arrive intact, I don't see any other MBTI-type of entrepreneur making a similarly impulsive or risky decision.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am trying to earn more income through my art and photography, but have only really been prioritizing that for 1.5 years, and it is a long process to get into that and figure out how to gain more exposure, build a client base, and eventually get to a point where more of a steady income stream is coming in. I am just now starting to get a little more income coming in, but I'm a really really long way away from it being a sole income source. While I would love for it to eventually be a sole source, also have a really high realism streak in me and I don't think that's realistic (lol) and so I am constantly trying to figure out what else I could do -- what else I could offer to the world that I both enjoy and that is within the realm of my strengths. I often think my strengths are not really what is valued by people / is marketable, but, I also think that is a bit of a lie and there has to be something -- I just need to figure it out. :)

All of this ramble is to say -- I can totally relate to the desire to strike out on your own. Job/career has always been my #1 nemesis / thorn in my heel.

ISTP-Rudy

MBTI Type
ISTP
I have been running my own businesses since high school. Part time business and part time jobs. Now I'm full time business owner. It's the best thing I've ever done. ISTPs should be business owners. Or like this: ISTPs should be independent and in control of ourselves. Not all businesses will appeal to you. Some you will never want to do. Retail store with shelves where customers can shoplift will drive you crazy. Do something where people can't steal your stuff. Where your product is too big to steal (furniture) or out of reach (food in a restaurant kitchen) or only you have it (contractor tools)

The trick is to filter out businesses that let you be comfortable, which to me means limited interactions with people, i do things on my time, limited paperwork, I like to do something a little mechanical, since I'm mechanically inclined, be busy enough for it not to be boring, but not too busy for long hours dealing with people, its very important not to be in customer service too much because very soon people complaining will get on your nerves and you will not feel in control and get irritated.

Pick simple businesses. One person businesses are best. Like self employed contractors, small fast food take out joints, catering, car mechanics, massage therapists, makeup artist/spa, tattoo artist, sign business, driving instructors, couriers, truck drivers, flower shop, landscaping, tailor, cleaning company etc. I started fixing up and selling cars, sold on eBay, still have a hot dog cart, and now I own a laundromat, i fix washers. Hot dog cart is for short hours, deal with people for 3-4 hours, so after lunch you don't have to deal with people anymore. In a laundromat there is nothing to steal. People do it themselves. I have a change machine, so I can go out to do errands anytime. I like occasionally fixing the machines.

These businesses have minimum paperwork, simple inventory and are flexible so you have a little bit of freedom. Nobody breaths down your neck. But you have to be ambitious and accept that you will have to be there and sometimes dedicate long hours to it. It's not 9-5. If you're lazy, you won't make money.

But don't get partners. You will need to hire people for certain things, but never do partners where they have the power to make decision about your business with out your approval. Partnerships have a very low rate of success. Why? Because you can't have two bosses. There has to be one person on top who makes the final decision. And that's you. If you need money, have a silent investor who cannot make decisions about your business. They get a percentage on their investment. They are investing in you, not the business. But if you screw up, they still have to get paid. Just like getting a bank loan.

Figure out what you like to do or better said what you don't mind doing. Start small. Start part time to get the feel of it. Maybe get a job in one of these businesses, learn how they do it, then start your own. It's worth it.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Strange. I'm going through the motions now to do the same. It would be a side business - one that I could do online - while still keeping my day job (logistics, driving ).

I was miserable with most jobs and just naturally got bored or stressed (being in management). So I've often had more than one job at a time, so I'm not bored.

I love my job now. It's perfect. It's physical, outdoors, no boss looking over my shoulder, no kissing ass. It's been about a year and just picked up another part time bartending gig (yesterday lol) that was too good not to pass up. So I'm happy for now.

Since I'm not stressed I have more time for things I've always wanted to do. So that's why I'm doing the ground work for the online/side business.

Good luck. I think we would be good at anything we put effort into.

I totally get what you are saying. I have been working two jobs for over two years now and it is great to have that variety. Not to mention both jobs are hands on, require me to be active and I am basically left alone. I scored a farm job on an alpaca farm, I totally agree, physical outdoors work and no one breathing over your neck, autonomy, minimal structure, it is pretty great. I don't think I could work just one job from here on out, it would be too boring. It is like you get to be in two worlds and both jobs you never know what will happen. Way better then working at a call center. Those jobs are prison sentences. Good luck with your online business.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

I too have contemplated this quite a bit and never really pulled the trigger, but it worked out because I got a fantastic part time job on top of my full time job. It is definitely appealing, not having a boss and call the shots, do things your own way, especially when you see how messed up things can be. I never actually did it, but I read a lot, I am working on doing it, when I am not super busy, but like previously stated I would moonlight (i.e. don't quit your day job) and get a job in the industry. I am a marketing student and I think one thing to keep in mind, it is obvious, but people forget it, is that this business is really about your customers and what they want, not what you want. You have to offer something that there is actually a market for. Also I have read that offering a service is better then offering a product, no inventory and what not, reduces cost, also you don't have to come up with a new idea, you can modify someone else's. Also consider doing the work that no one else wants to do. I got my second job, by reposting as a general dirty jobs guy and landed a job shoveling shit for the most part on an alpaca farm. Best job I have ever had. It is a matter of time before something unexpected happens, I work alone, outdoors, surrounded by the beauty of nature, wildlife, livestock, have gotten to participate in some cool stuff, like shearing alpacas and goat wrangling, kind of got the jist of using a machete and learned some basics of animal behavior and about certain species, like goats. For example, did you know goats are bastards. Good luck with everything.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am trying to earn more income through my art and photography, but have only really been prioritizing that for 1.5 years, and it is a long process to get into that and figure out how to gain more exposure, build a client base, and eventually get to a point where more of a steady income stream is coming in. I am just now starting to get a little more income coming in, but I'm a really really long way away from it being a sole income source. While I would love for it to eventually be a sole source, also have a really high realism streak in me and I don't think that's realistic (lol) and so I am constantly trying to figure out what else I could do -- what else I could offer to the world that I both enjoy and that is within the realm of my strengths. I often think my strengths are not really what is valued by people / is marketable, but, I also think that is a bit of a lie and there has to be something -- I just need to figure it out. :)

All of this ramble is to say -- I can totally relate to the desire to strike out on your own. Job/career has always been my #1 nemesis / thorn in my heel.

Good luck with your art! I totally understand the whole struggle between what you can do and what is marketable. I have had a similar struggle. It is tough and yeah, I think that is a lie we tell ourselves, that we don't have the gifts to strike out on our own or to do certain things even if it isn't about making money. Some weird part of us that wants to keep us in one place. Maybe I will blame the brain. It can have a "don't go out there or you will die agenda" that is accompanied with some pretty convincing reasoning at times. I would keep up with the art work. Marketing is hard even if you do have good stuff. You probably have a plethora of hidden talents. Good luck.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
ESTP here. I have 2, 1 that I actually focus on while the other is similar and more like a side project. I've been running one for 3 years with my INTJ partner and it's done incredibly well. I have issues with committing to anything and I get easily bored so I don't work well in companies in which I'm not heavily invested in/I can't do the corporate crap. I've had a job on the side most of the time I've run the company (since start ups aren't exactly money makers or very secure and our business doesn't take that much time), but now I don't really need to anymore and it's been much better for me. My only concern is that my level of independence will make me even more difficult to work with, and I'm kind of a pain in the butt as it is. I would say do it, starting your own business is always a great learning process but make sure you still socialize lots and force yourself to play nicely with others. Also, if you have someone who's organized and structured to yell at you once in awhile it really helps.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I would say that a spesific job position would be well suited only if a person's had the energy needed to perform the work.

I would argue that Introverted judger executive function (Ti and Fi) paired with extroverted sensation nature of work tends not to conform to a specific standard and that will make these type struggle with many positions that require the professional to follow standard. So becoming an entrepreneur may offer an alternative solution to their professional life problem.

What we should concern as a professional is whether we can perform well as the role demands without having to suffer some potential psychopathic conditions and we may need a psychologist help for this.
Btw, I have always wanted to run my own business too, for probably the same reason: I don't feel many job positions that I have taken as my role completely suit me as a person and as a result I frequently moved looking for other job. Unfortunately, I have got an impression that HRD recruiters prefer not to hire A professional that tends to "job hop" nor they like a person who has a professional non working gap years for too long. If they could find candidate without, I wouldn't be shortlisted. I have a blog about my professional life. You can check it out if you want to.
btw, I am looking forward to your updated posting on this thread: how is it going?

Last edited:

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I feel the same about not fitting in most jobs.

I'm starting my business too (or businesses) I do not fancy working for others or in general to be honest. Though, I do like being around with others.

I figured, if I put all my hard work into someone else's company, might as well just do it for myself.