• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Relaxing vs recharging

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
So I've noticed that I relax a whole heck of a lot (watch tv/movies or play videogames). Unlike most people though, this really doesn't do much for me in terms of recharging. In fact it compounds; I sleep in, then videogames, then a movie, then I realize I've wasted the day and accomplished nothing, sometimes even forgetting to eat before dinner and I'm starving. The next day I also have no desire to do the necessities (house hold chores, cook, etc.) and the cycle repeats. And I know working out is good for a lot of ISTPs but I always find it to be boring and therefore a chore.

But then there are things like coaching the local jv lacrosse team, mountain biking, hockey, etc. and those I find to be very recharging. It's weird because those things require a lot of energy but it's like they get me on a roll and then I can accomplish all the stupid little things so long as I don't go home and pick up the remote.

Sticking with the battery analogy, it's like my battery ends up getting drained more often due to self-discharge than use. This common for the rest of y'all? Any quick activities you've found or stuff that is fun alone (M-biking is fun alone but still more fun with a friend) and can be done often without being scheduled (my schedule is highly irregular with my weekend normally in the middle of the week hence the alone part) to break the "relaxing" (lazy) cycle?

Alya

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I don't have a clue (and even I have been in home for the last two months for a cervical hernia that didn't allowed me to do almost anything), but I relate a lot with what you're saying here. Everything that anyone else have to say could be of help for me when my doctor gives me his approval to start doing anything again.
Anyway, I'm thinking about going to the gym by my house to do some Taichi (I used to do a lot of martial arts that I can't do now), it's something very relaxing and you exercise a lot more than it seems at first :smile: .

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I've noticed that I relax a whole heck of a lot (watch tv/movies or play videogames). Unlike most people though, this really doesn't do much for me in terms of recharging. In fact it compounds; I sleep in, then videogames, then a movie, then I realize I've wasted the day and accomplished nothing, sometimes even forgetting to eat before dinner and I'm starving. The next day I also have no desire to do the necessities (house hold chores, cook, etc.) and the cycle repeats. And I know working out is good for a lot of ISTPs but I always find it to be boring and therefore a chore.

But then there are things like coaching the local jv lacrosse team, mountain biking, hockey, etc. and those I find to be very recharging. It's weird because those things require a lot of energy but it's like they get me on a roll and then I can accomplish all the stupid little things so long as I don't go home and pick up the remote.

Sticking with the battery analogy, it's like my battery ends up getting drained more often due to self-discharge than use. This common for the rest of y'all? Any quick activities you've found or stuff that is fun alone (M-biking is fun alone but still more fun with a friend) and can be done often without being scheduled (my schedule is highly irregular with my weekend normally in the middle of the week hence the alone part) to break the "relaxing" (lazy) cycle?

This is me completely. I can waste days on end watching films, reading books etc. days just vanish with nothing being accomplished. And the more I do it the lazier I get.
I go through phases of going to the gym everyday but only when I'm training for something specific. Otherwise I'm way too lazy.
It takes sports I love to energise me. I come back from playing rugby and I'm so energised I can get all kinds of shit done.
Other than that it takes caffeine to get me energised. Lots of it. I tend to get through a couple of energy drinks when I need to be productive and it has the desired affect. Apart from obviously it's really bad for me. But I like it.
Not sure I have any tips but I do have the same problem so I can sympathise!