• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are SPs more prone towards the arts?

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
Are a majority of SPs prone to the arts, or does it not matter what you are?

I'm a Musician and I love performing and composing. I also teach Music etc.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't matter of course, all types have the capability to do anything--but overall SP's are known to be drawn to the arts, at least by Keirsey's account. It's the Extraverted Sensing (Se) that usually accounts for this, as it gives the type an acute awareness and ability to work well with their immediate environment.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I've always been drawn to the arts, myself. I play guitar, design websites, dance, and occasionally draw. In high school, when I had more time, I was into theater, dance, woodcarving, painting, bead work, and A-V stuff. My friend and I would also write stories together.

Curiously, though, a lot of the SPs here report that they don't care for poetry.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I also teach Music etc.

I really enjoy teaching. It's a skill that I've honed over the years. It's also a performance. You can prepare for a lecture, but when you actually get in front of the chalk board, there is always an element of improvisation involved. It also feels good to share my knowledge with people, just as long as I am humble enough to say "I don't know."

I'm really excited to see more ISTPs on this forum. You sound like an interesting person.

What is your favorite instrument?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I draw/paint/etc but not much recently. I've also been involved in music (choir) but I don't like being the centre of attention so I haven't done that recently either. booo. I like crafts too but I get bored with that pretty quickly.

My ISFP bf and ESFP friend are both pretty involved in their band, and are also both going to college for artistic things (website design and related things).

My ISTP roommate plays the guitar and has an insane collection of music.

So yeah they are, in my (fairly limited) experience. but I know a lot of other types who are into the arts as well.

alicia91

I'm an interior designer and I also stage homes for realtors. When I had more free time I was also into landscaping, refinishing furniture, floral design, and a little sewing. But I have no real skill in terms of the traditional fine arts like drawing or painting - I do all that on the computer or with drafting equipment.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Curiously, though, a lot of the SPs here report that they don't care for poetry.

I wrote a ton of poetry when i was a teenager/early 20's, then just pretty much quit. I write something every once in awhile now, but not hardcore like I did then.

As far as reading poetry, I've never been that into it, but I love music with lyrics, so if you count that, then I'm into it, just not really what tends to be published as "poetry."

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
I really enjoy teaching. It's a skill that I've honed over the years. It's also a performance. You can prepare for a lecture, but when you actually get in front of the chalk board, there is always an element of improvisation involved. It also feels good to share my knowledge with people, just as long as I am humble enough to say "I don't know."

I'm really excited to see more ISTPs on this forum. You sound like an interesting person.

What is your favorite instrument?

Well my main instrument is Sax, I play mostly Jazz though I do play a lot of Funk/Rock. I really agree with you about the whole teaching deal.

Sorry If my answers aren't thorough I just got back from a Rehearsal and a Jam Session so I'm kinda tired probably gonna hit the sack soon =P

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
SPs are prone to virtuosity more than anyone else. They're more content to practice constantly.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with JackFlak... they've got a better ability to focus on practice and the grueling work it takes to get really good at something...

But on the other hand, as an NT, my affinity for art is extremely strong and I know tons of non-SP's who'd shrivel up and die without art... so I don't think SP's are necessarily more prone towards art, but rather more likely to succeed based on native personality traits.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've always had an affinity with the arts, pretty much all except for writing. Started playing sax when I was a kid, moved to drums in high school, then guitar, then bass for 11 years. Also drew a lot in grade school, which moved on to painting and sculpture in college. Went to university for film (primarily cinematography) but dropped out to play in a band. Now doing web design and going back to school for interior design. Would love to be a teacher someday, high school digital media if possible. Life is too short :D

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
One of my big regrets is not learning how to play an instrument.

If anything, its never too late to learn an instrument. I think I've adopted the term " It's never too late" as a personal motto.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
Kayin, that is a beautiful idea. I am adopting it as my own.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I don't think that art should be confused with Keirsey's term of SPs being artisans.

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
I don't think that art should be confused with Keirsey's term of SPs being artisans.

I'm not really confusing the Two I'm just trying to understand better if a majority of SPs are drawn to the arts over other types. I know that other types are in the arts, I'm just trying to understand the tendencies of a certain type.

alicia91

That's true. My 48 year-old neighbor is taking druming lessons so you guys are right - never too late. Not sure exactly which instrument I'd like to learn.

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
That's true. My 48 year-old neighbor is taking druming lessons so you guys are right - never too late. Not sure exactly which instrument I'd like to learn.

Well, what do you enjoy listening to music wise? and what do you think you would enjoy playing the most? Without the enjoyment of playing it, you might as well give away the money you use to learn it to someone for free ahah.

If I were you, I would pick something you would enjoy playing and picking up when ever. You might wanna try a few instruments to get the feel if you arn't sure.