• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Are SPs more prone towards the arts?

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
the arts is a really broad term. an interest in them is, first-and-foremost, based n the individual personal, then loosely based on type. generally, i think sensing perceivers are more attracted to performance and composing arts, while NFs, NTs enjoy art that involves messages.

in my family:

my ISFP mother loves interior design. she's stated numerous times that stager or interior decorator would be her ideal careers. otherwise, she doesn't do anything else "artistic" or "creative."

my ENFP brother very fine mechanical understanding. he's an excellent (in my opinion) free hand drawer, and can strum for hours-on-end on his guitar. for a long time I thought he was an ESTP, but I think his "life in the moment" attitude comes from his enneagram type (7w8.)

i have average painting and drawing skills, but little patience for it. otherwise, i don't do anything artistic. however, i consider myself to be very sensual. i am easily overwhelmed by beautiful paintings or the photo shoots in fashion magazines. i like romantic and aesthetic period poetry, because i enjoy trying to decipher metaphors.

i have a question for SP's. do you enjoy art purely for the sensation it brings or is there something more personal about it? for example, if i see an ad in a magazine I like, aspects such as color are important, but I'd probably love the romantic possiblities behind the whole thing.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
From my experience, while SPs don't necessarily have skill, a certain gracefulness tends to inhere. Craft comes naturally to them in a way that it doesn't for the rest of us.

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
From my experience, while SPs don't necessarily have skill, a certain gracefulness tends to inhere. Craft comes naturally to them in a way that it doesn't for the rest of us.

So are you saying that SPs have a natural ability for art related tasks?

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
the arts is a really broad term. an interest in them is, first-and-foremost, based n the individual personal, then loosely based on type. generally, i think sensing perceivers are more attracted to performance and composing arts, while NFs, NTs enjoy art that involves messages.

Well honestly I love composing and creating things but I also love have a message and or story behind it, thats what separates the hobbiest from an actual artist

i have a question for SP's. do you enjoy art purely for the sensation it brings or is there something more personal about it? for example, if i see an ad in a magazine I like, aspects such as color are important, but I'd probably love the romantic possiblities behind the whole thing.

Personally, I love art for a number of reasons. First and foremost the very fact that art in general is fun regardless of what it is. To know you created something or achieved something and have recognition from peers, family, and friends. To know that the message you put in could have some affect on others and move them in such a way as to change the way they think or perceive a topic or just the fact that its beautiful.

Sometimes in music lets say, you try to capture the moment, you try to capture the energy....It doesn't need to have a meaning....It about the energy not the meaning. But then there is some art and music out there that has a meaning.

Very few art in this world is deep, the reason I say this is because if they are sending a message ( like in most popular music and music that used to be popular ) then they would want you to understand it, so they make it easier to understand and grasp for the general audience......The true music and art that is really deep is something that you can't fully understand, there is too much to grasp only the creator truly knows the meaning......

Some art really moves me and makes me go "wow". Also once you know how hard it is to do something I think you really learn to appreciate things more, but thats another topic. There is just such a wide range of reasons, I think a lot of my reasons may be more personal....I'm not exactly sure.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I love creating, whether it be cooking, painting, drawing, building, organizing, etc. The joy I find is in the task itself, not necessarily the completed project. I can't really go to an art gallery and get all intellectual about what the paintings mean, but I can watch a painter paint and be totally enthralled in the process.

Most of the art I have ever created I subsequently threw in the garbage when I was done. I feel no need to ponder over what I made, I just enjoy the creation itself.

I may be an exception to the rule though.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I think a lot more is involved than type. Such as oppurtunities and self confidence and outside direction or encouragement. I'm sure a lot of SPs never realize that they have an advantage or end up following something on the basis of the arts not always being considered a valuable direction.

I do have an art and am involved in others but I always wanted to ride motorbikes, since I was a kid I dreamed about it and still have that desire now, but I've never had that chance.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i'm gonna go against the grain here and say not, or at least not as much as people think they do. SP's yearn for physical experiences, but at the same time they are practical people. i can see them playing an instrument as a hobby or whatever, but definitely not as a profession. that would be more of an NF thing.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
i'm gonna go against the grain here and say not, or at least not as much as people think they do. SP's yearn for physical experiences, but at the same time they are practical people. i can see them playing an instrument as a hobby or whatever, but definitely not as a profession. that would be more of an NF thing.

Lots of SPs play an instrument as a profession!

Certainly lots don't too though. ;)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd say a majority of SPs have the ABILITY to be good at the arts naturally if they're interested in it.

For me, I have zero interest in doing most "artistic" things. The exception is that I'm starting to get into airbrushing things a bit.

HomeSlice

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think a lot more is involved than type. Such as oppurtunities and self confidence and outside direction or encouragement. I'm sure a lot of SPs never realize that they have an advantage or end up following something on the basis of the arts not always being considered a valuable direction.

I totally agree with this, without encouragement and constant prodding, the SP will be generally too lazy to get up and work their artistic magic (I am referring to myself; maybe others as well :p) unless they are simply amazing at it and love what they do.

To add some statistical content to this, me and my 3 sisters who are all SPs have always been ahead of the gang when it came to the visual arts, winning awards and all that crap :yes:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say a majority of SPs have the ABILITY to be good at the arts naturally if they're interested in it.

For me, I have zero interest in doing most "artistic" things. The exception is that I'm starting to get into airbrushing things a bit.

Bingo

Just like I've no doubt I would have the ability to be good at fixing automobiles, if I had any interest in them. (currently I don't, but I might get into biodiesel stuff on my next vehicle.)

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
I've got a lot of natural talent when it comes to music and some other arts, but I can't stand practicing. I dislike busy work.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Practicing and homework and studying for tests fall in the same awful super boring category. I hate doing them all.

I'm not artistic, although I used to be in a drawing class for a few years back when I was 10-16-ish. I got pretty good, but then my teacher moved away and I never picked it up again. My skills have appropriately deteriorated since then :p

I really want to start playing drums. Back in high school I had to learn drum stuff that the marching band did, and while memorizing the stuff was horrible, I wasn't all bad at it.

I'm completely uncreative 99.99999999% of the time. There's the random ocassion that I can come up with something, but it's certainly rare.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I want to learn the drums too. I've always had a good sense of rhythm. Drums or harmonica. I've always thought it was awesome just how much different sounds you can get out of such a simple seeming instrument as a harmonica.

Kayin

MBTI Type
IXTX
I've got a lot of natural talent when it comes to music and some other arts, but I can't stand practicing. I dislike busy work.

Well no one truly likes practicing etc. No one in there right mind does but if you truly want to be great at something you I hate practicing but I think of it as a job and try to give myself self motivation to do the tasks, you need to be very disciplined.....

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
From his book PUM II, Keirsey says that, "Art is much more than so-called "fine arts" - music, literature, dance, sculptor, drawing, painting- and must include the theatrical arts, martial arts, industrial arts, athletic arts, medical arts indeed any activity in which successive actions are free vaiables rather than fixed constants."

It's best to consider the term "Artisan" by comparing it to Keirsey's label for NTs "Rationals". Both as Keirsey says are fitters with Artisans having a practical and technique orientation and Rationals having a pragmatic and technology orientation. So again, "art" is merely a root word when it comes to describing SPs, but when Keirsey coined the title for this group he was actually referencing to Plato's greek word 'eikonike', which when roughly translated means artifactor, icon-maker or image-maker.

One of the reasons that Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi provide their explanation in changing titles of the temperament groups in saying:
Having been a student of David W. Keirsey, I began using the names he gave them in 1987. However, we found that these names presented some problems when facilitators helped people figure out their best-fit temperament pattern. Participants in our workshops would often reject the temperament pattern we were calling “Artisan” because they didn’t see themselves as artistic, when being artistic is not the essence of the pattern. At the other end of the spectrum, certain names such as “Rational,” resonated with participants—who wouldn’t want to be called “rational” since its opposite is “irrational.” And in the business world, being an “Idealist” is not highly valued since we have to deal with the “real” world. The names themselves also were contributing to some biases that we wanted to avoid. It is impossible to name a pattern with any one word that has no flaws and works for everyone in all cultures, so as we set out to find new names, we developed criteria for selecting names based on the depth of our experience. The criteria consisted of three core ideas: each word had to be active, had to describe a contribution to organizations, and had to get at the talents as well as the core values of the temperament pattern it identifies.
Thus the titles were changed to:
Improviser - (a.k.a. Artisan/SP/Orange)

To improvise is to vary your actions to get a result using whatever is at hand. In an ever-changing environment, improvising is greatly needed. It is the ultimate expression of the freedom to respond to the needs of the moment. It is also the means to create pleasant aesthetic experiences.
Theorist -(a.k.a. Rational/NT/Green)
Understanding and developing theories provides the basis for mastery and competence. It is fundamental to success in business as well as in school. Businesses are built on scientific discoveries and innovations. Theory is the means to understanding an objective truth on which to build a path to achievement.
Catalyst -(a.k.a. Idealist/NF/Blue)
To catalyze is to engage with others in a way that promotes their identity without losing one’s own identity. Catalyzing is natural to those who need to have a meaning and purpose to their lives. It is the means to self-actualization.
Stabilizer - (a.k.a. Guardian/SJ/Gold)
Stabilizing prevents groups and institutions from falling apart. It is fundamental to creating an environment where one can be secure in a sense of belonging. It provides the means to economic security and behaving in a responsible way.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
"any activity in which successive actions are free variables rather than fixed constants."

That's my favorite line in that whole book. I've never read a better description of that. The next action is a free variable. That is what I live for right there.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
That's my favorite line in that whole book. I've never read a better description of that. The next action is a free variable. That is what I live for right there.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well no one truly likes practicing etc. No one in there right mind does but if you truly want to be great at something you I hate practicing but I think of it as a job and try to give myself self motivation to do the tasks, you need to be very disciplined.....

One of my cousins LOVES stuff like homework and projects. She's a total nerd. Competitive people like practicing until they're better than everyone else...