• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] the 'S'tupid stereotype

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mostly it seems to be because someone feels disenfranchised in real life and put upon because they are "different" so they decide to hate whatever represents the enemy... often they'll take some online test with something like 20 questions, they'll conclude that they're an Intuitive (and most material online will tell them then that they are rare) and they'll decide that everyone who stands against them is a Sensor... most of these people are young whippersnappers and don't know all about the wonders of the world and it's many, many, many people yet

for a fun point on online tests, I test as an intuitive but don't identify as one... I'm a woman of action :cool:

Yes, I agree, was also at one point disenfranchised myself, tested and believed myself to be intuitive for years, and am not. :)

To be fair, most tests stink, and many people (myself included) can be deluded about themselves, especially in context of trying to lump themselves into a box, it's challenging to do so given all of the misinformation and stereotypes.

Also-:hi:

BluRoses said:
I am still fairly new here and would like to hear sensor's point of view. I'm still trying to figure out why I feel like there is a mental wall there when I talk deeply with a sensor.
Usual caveat of there can be all kinds of reasons, can really vary from one to another, lots of variation within type, also dynamic between individuals adds complexity.

For me, I can just grow weary of theory, impatient, could become bored, at the end of the day I'm pretty pragmatic, more in tune with how things ARE and 'reality', less valuing of possibilities and abstract, though I'm capable of it - in a sense, my tending to view possibilities or ideas as pointless or wasted breath if they aren't doable or reflective of reality. And, my not being a big conversation discussion person, my preferences lie in activities and experiences.

mbti is always about preferences, not ability- and the stereotypes occur when that is forgotten, I think.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah actually we had an MBTI presentation in college and the presenter kept talking about how intuitives think of all these amazing possibilities that the sensors would never in a million years think of. It kind of pissed me off on the behalf of the people who tested as a sensor, it isnt right to write off a whole group of people. No type should sell themselves short, there are exceptional people and not so exceptional people of every type

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
mostly it seems to be because someone feels disenfranchised in real life and put upon because they are "different" so they decide to hate whatever represents the enemy... often they'll take some online test with something like 20 questions, they'll conclude that they're an Intuitive (and most material online will tell them then that they are rare) and they'll decide that everyone who stands against them is a Sensor... most of these people are young whippersnappers and don't know all about the wonders of the world and it's many, many, many people yet
I could simply 'like' this post, or I could reiterate it.

It deserves to be reiterated.

The most common target, of course, is the ESFJ, the total embodiment of 'not me and therefore unfamiliar and so therefore bad.'

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I swear most MBTI type descriptions online are written by N types. They're so biased and inaccurate. As someone who has tested as an ISTJ once or twice, I would take exception to being compared to a mindless footsoldier who blindly adheres to tradition and is incapable of original thought. Especially since my brother is an ISTJ, and he's one of the most intelligent people I know.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ss generally have terrible descriptions online. I would say even the ones with comparatively good descriptions only manage to make S types sound not-dumb compared to their N counterparts.

I think Keirsey has a lot to do with this. If I am not mistaken he was one of the earliest people to write descriptions of personalities and if you read his description you'd think that N types are geniuses and S types are their special cousins.

He went out of his way to get down on his knees for the N types though he is possibly a S type himself.

Fuck you old man.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ss generally have terrible descriptions online. I would say even the ones with comparatively good descriptions only manage to make S types sound not-dumb compared to their N counterparts.

I think Keirsey has a lot to do with this. If I am not mistaken he was one of the earliest people to write descriptions of personalities and if you read his description you'd think that N types are geniuses and S types are their special cousins.

He went out of his way to get down on his knees for the N types though he is possibly a S type himself.

Fuck you old man.
+1

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Fuck you old man.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-and-jungian-cognitive-functions/55280-david-keirsey.html Dirty ole keirsey

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3

Fuck you old man.
He is actually an INTP, but he definitely does show some bias towards N's in his descriptions.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
every time a nice sensor tries to go over a few ways to be more aware of one's environment and in tune with one's surroundings some N who thinks that claiming to be 100% N and 0% S is both realistic and makes them special will chime in and say "I can't!" :thelook:

I can see the big picture just fine... and you can see your surroundings quite well as well (you meaning any N, not just you) :holy:

If someone is 100% N, I'm not sure they would be alive. I think it is important to remember to feed yourself sometimes.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think there's a kind of reactionary piece to this. Intuitive types, many of us, have been made to feel stupid for our weak sensing skills for a good portion of our lives. Suddenly, upon discovering personality theory, we're validated! We have a propensity to see things differently than our sensing societal shoulds have made us feel inferior over.

This just goes to show that intuitive types are still not all smart enough to see both sides as equal but different, just as we might have felt about others who have judged us as inferior for being less detail-oriented or practical.

serenesam

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Regarding the following...

Sensors:

• Not creative; unimaginative
  • Don't see the 'big picture'
  • Have significantly lower IQs than N-types
  • Incapable of making connections

What are your thoughts?
Do you have any to add?

I have noticed that S-types can be incredibly talented or incredibly annoying. It all depends. Like for example, an intelligent ESFP female can be quite seductive in my opinion.

avaxtskyr

MBTI Type
ISFP
I have noticed that S-types can be incredibly talented or incredibly annoying. It all depends. Like for example, an intelligent ESFP female can be quite seductive in my opinion.

I have noticed that N-types can be incredibly talented or incredibly annoying. It all depends. Like for example, an intelligent INTJ female can be quite seductive in my opinion.

:frolic:

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, type indicates preference, and primary modes of being. Sensors will likely have a more grounded creativity, but also more experiential fodder. They may do less with information, but gather more of it. Type does not imply capability, but method.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
I think the stereotype is 100% true fuck it, what's so great about imagination and insight anyway just makes u look like a fuckin pretentious freak

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Yeah actually we had an MBTI presentation in college and the presenter kept talking about how intuitives think of all these amazing possibilities that the sensors would never in a million years think of. It kind of pissed me off on the behalf of the people who tested as a sensor, it isnt right to write off a whole group of people. No type should sell themselves short, there are exceptional people and not so exceptional people of every type

I think most scientist types are Intuitive types which involves thinking in the abstract world. I saw a study somewhere showing most most types are mostly NT's followed by NF's. I don't think S types can do what N users can. I read reports that people even had stressed when constantly asked to use their inferior function. However, I wouldn't have said that N types can think of possibilities what S types can do in a million of years. When he said, "One million years," it sounds like one-upmanship. I would had said N types usually have mastery of the abstract world while lacking the detailed world. While S have mastery of the detailed world but lack abstract world.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It was something really dumb tho, like they had anyone who self identified as intuitive play with clay and then all the sensors play with clay and then they compared. They just seemed to know very little and were speaking in absolutes and stereotypes

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
It was something really dumb tho, like they had anyone who self identified as intuitive play with clay and then all the sensors play with clay and then they compared. They just seemed to know very little and were speaking in absolutes and stereotypes

Why were they playing with clay?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
To show that the sensors would make the sky blue, the trees green, ect, and show that the intuitives would make the sky purple. That was pretty much it. I could see where sure that would be an example, but I do not think it was the rule. It was pretty much an I'm an intuitive, and I have to make sure that the sensors are aware of how great I am sort of presentation.

There are different ways to be creative, I know someone who I guess is an ISFP who can draw amazingly well. She has a a natural perception that I could never have because she is able to capture all of those details and string them together in her art. My art always looked like it was drawn by a fingerless mentally disturbed clown.