• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What types are ISTPs most commonly confused with?

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
Or what types are most similar to ISTPs in your opinion? I have been getting ISTP a lot recently and the more I read the description the more it seems to fit.

I suspect they are confused for NTs quite often.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Or what types are most similar to ISTPs in your opinion? I have been getting ISTP a lot recently and the more I read the description the more it seems to fit.

Well, they share the same functions as xNFJs and ESTPs, but I imagine NT is a common mistype, especially if Ni is relatively developed.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ISTPs are often said to be the most "NT like" of the sensate types (as ISFPs are probably the most "NF like").

Are you content enough theorizing and building systems in your head, or do you prefer hands on experience? The ISTP will be more likely to want to actively participate in the design, building, and/or testing of systems, as simply thinking about it will eventually become tiring and they will generally lose interest if not somehow actively participating. This is probably where the mistypings come from. However, INTPs (and especially ENTPs with their dominant Ne) can sometimes prefer hands on experience and themselves often mistype as ISTP.

Ti is a function which, generally speaking, works well when its user is allowed hands-on, concrete experience with any system or object to fully understand its values and attributes, although this will be more evident in the STPs than in the NTPs, because NTPs' Ne will always be a function which more easily leads its users back into their head as it spawns infinite new possibilities and scenarios. Perhaps well-developed or oft-used Ni can lead ISTPs to appear more NT-like, as [MENTION=20757]Opal[/MENTION] pointed out.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would add INFJ, although a less common mistyping.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've seen a few times where someone was tossing up between ISTP and INTJ for someone.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IxTx's, but I've personally never met an ISTP that's resembled an F-anything.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what if it were an INFJ with counterphobic tendencies?

I'm just it's just my personal experience, but I register ISTPs by how impenetrable and disaffected to me, it has ended up that their depths are just in places where I am shallow and vice versa, I don't get this from INFJs. I imagine a counterphobic ISTP would feel more aggressive while an INFJ would feel testing. Note, I'm just saying 'imagine' a lot.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont think I have ever been confused with NT. I dont think I know anyone that would not type me as ISTP :shrug:

pmj85

ISTPs are often said to be the most "NT like" of the sensate types (as ISFPs are probably the most "NF like").

I see this sort of statement all over the place. I kind of resent it, because it somehow infers that being intuitive is something to aspire to. We could equally say, for example, that INFJs are the most 'SP' like.

The MBTI has its uses, but having (loosely) worked with people of various types now (within a typology capacity), I really do fucking *despise* this 'intuitive elitism' bullshit which permeates every community pertaining to the subject. I have actually spoken to sensors who told me that they wish they could be intuitive. WHY?

As an INFJ, I feel blessed to have dominant Ni; my world view is, frankly, awesome. I love it. You know what, though? I wish my Ti was much better, because I can be illogical and incredi-derp at times. I wish I could exist within the moment more, be present in the here and now and experience the physical to the full. In other words, I'm (allegedly) 'OMFG THE RAREST - SO SPESHUL' and I am absolutely an SP wannabe. You guys rock, and I absolutely respect / admire the shit out of you.

I have no idea where this rant came from, and now I'm angry at everything.

Peace <3

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dont think I have ever been confused with NT. I dont think I know anyone that would not type me as ISTP :shrug:

People on this site seem to type me all over the place, but I think if they met me in real life, there would be no question that I'm a Ti dom.

I thought you were an ESTP. iirc you had "eSTP" listed.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTP, INTP, ENTP from my experience.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People on this site seem to type me all over the place, but I think if they met me in real life, there would be no question that I'm a Ti dom.

I thought you were an ESTP. iirc you had "eSTP" listed.

Nah, hence the little e. I tend to align better with an "introverted" ESTP then some of the ISTP stereotypes. Changed back to ISTP because it confused people. I dont even think people would question my ESTP on here because they dont see my "I really dont have much desire to socialize" as much as someone in person. I dont think anyone on here would question my ISTP either on here, none have yet. The farthest I have managed to get is "your definately an ISTP, but have a different feel."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, hence the little e. I tend to align better with an "introverted" ESTP then some of the ISTP stereotypes. Changed back to ISTP because it confused people. I dont even think people would question my ESTP on here because they dont see my "I really dont have much desire to socialize" as much as someone in person. I dont think anyone on here would question my ISTP either on here, none have yet. The farthest I have managed to get is "your definately an ISTP, but have a different feel."

I don't think anyone on this site would mistake me for ESTP, as subdued and laid-back as I am, but the mistake might be made if they encountered me at work. I prefer to remain quiet and work alone, but I can become quite vocal and "take-charge" when the need arises (often this catches people off guard and I can come off as "pushy" or "bossy" occasionally)--my strategy is to sit back and let others figure things out until a) I see something arise which requires or challenges my skills and knowledge or b) I see others aimlessly chasing their tails when I am determined to see a project or task through, no matter the obstacles. It really just depends on the situation, the job, and any other variables therein.

It's safe to say I'm far more 'ISTP-like' at home or away from work. In the case of my profile, I leave the s lowercase not because I am unsure of INTP vs ISTP but because I do in fact enjoy learning and theorizing about things which interest me and I became tired of ISTP profiles and INTP/ISTP comparisons which overplay the stereotype that ISTPs have little patience for or desire to learn simply for the sake of learning. That said, usually after learning something, I feel a strong need to somehow test, observe, or experience my newfound knowledge in the real, physical world. That, I think, is at least one way I can make a clear distinction between N and S. If I don't get to "test" or verify knowledge, it usually becomes pointless and irrelevant to me unless it specifically pertains to an area of great interest or expertise. In short, my Ti pushes me to take in new information and sort it, then my Se encourages me to go out into the physical world and test that knowledge one way or another. If I were using Ne, rather than Se, then I'd likely be content to sit with that knowledge and let Ne branch new possibilities and scenarios out from the initial data.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think anyone on this site would mistake me for ESTP, as subdued and laid-back as I am, but the mistake might be made if they encountered me at work. I prefer to remain quiet and work alone, but I can become quite vocal and "take-charge" when the need arises (often this catches people off guard and I can come off as "pushy" or "bossy" occasionally)--my strategy is to sit back and let others figure things out until a) I see something arise which requires or challenges my skills and knowledge or b) I see others aimlessly chasing their tails when I am determined to see a project or task through, no matter the obstacles. It really just depends on the situation, the job, and any other variables therein.

It's safe to say I'm far more 'ISTP-like' at home or away from work. In the case of my profile, I leave the s lowercase not because I am unsure of INTP vs ISTP but because I do in fact enjoy learning and theorizing about things which interest me and I became tired of ISTP profiles and INTP/ISTP comparisons which overplay the stereotype that ISTPs have little patience for or desire to learn simply for the sake of learning. That said, usually after learning something, I feel a strong need to somehow test, observe, or experience my newfound knowledge in the real, physical world. That, I think, is at least one way I can make a clear distinction between N and S. If I don't get to "test" or verify knowledge, it usually becomes pointless and irrelevant to me unless it specifically pertains to an area of great interest or expertise. In short, my Ti pushes me to take in new information and sort it, then my Se encourages me to go out into the physical world and test that knowledge one way or another. If I were using Ne, rather than Se, then I'd likely be content to sit with that knowledge and let Ne branch new possibilities and scenarios out from the initial data.

I am very different. I usually sit back at work and people come to me. I am the technical lead, not because I push or can be bossy, but because I know my shit better then anyone else. I frustrate people because they come to me with a problem they have been working on for days and within a minute or 2 I have the solution. I learn by doing and application of knowledge comes natural. I dont test, prove, or try to find some way to apply it. Application comes natural and second nature. My reach for knowledge is usually lead by a purpose whether it be interest, need, etc. Home life is just like work, people come to me because I know my shit and am extremely knowledgable about a huge range of things and its actual useful knowledge that is put to use day in and day out. This is pretty much who I am every second of every day, at home, at work, and at play. I am a busy body, I just am not social. I wouldnt be the person I am today if I befriended everyone who tried to befriend me. I would not have the time to learn and grow as I do. This isnt the reason I am not social, I just really enjoy learning and doing.

Outside of work, my life pretty much revolves around working on cars, working on houses, exercising, speed, driving, sex, eating. I enjoy going out in the evening on quiet more intimate dates, again, not very social and dont have a huge desire to be.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am very different. I usually sit back at work and people come to me. I am the technical lead, not because I push or can be bossy, but because I know my shit better then anyone else. I frustrate people because they come to me with a problem they have been working on for days and within a minute or 2 I have the solution. I learn by doing and application of knowledge comes natural. I dont test, prove, or try to find some way to apply it. Application comes natural and second nature. My reach for knowledge is usually lead by a purpose whether it be interest, need, etc. Home life is just like work, people come to me because I know my shit and am extremely knowledgable about a huge range of things and its actual useful knowledge that is put to use day in and day out. This is pretty much who I am every second of every day, at home, at work, and at play. I am a busy body, I just am not social. I wouldnt be the person I am today if I befriended everyone who tried to befriend me. I would not have the time to learn and grow as I do. This isnt the reason I am not social, I just really enjoy learning and doing.

Outside of work, my life pretty much revolves around working on cars, working on houses, exercising, speed, driving, sex, eating. I enjoy going out in the evening on quiet more intimate dates, again, not very social and dont have a huge desire to be.

That sounds slightly (emphasis on slightly because this could also read as very ISTP; everyone's different*) more SeTi than TiSe to me, but who am I to judge?

* - enneagram can also explain a lot. What are you, a 3?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That sounds slightly (emphasis on slightly because this could also read as very ISTP; everyone's different*) more SeTi than TiSe to me, but who am I to judge?

* - enneagram can also explain a lot. What are you, a 3?

I am a 9. Yeah, thats why I put my type as eSTP. I know quite a bit of ESTPs and we are alot alike, except I am alot more introverted, quiet, and reserved. I am working on being more social, but its more of a fitting in thing, then a huge desire. Just something on the back burner I push myself to do every once in awhile. I would pin myself as an Introverted STP.

Guessing the difference between me and an actual ESTP is that I have a much weaker Fe. I am more SeTiNiFe. Like I am an ESTP with flipped Ni/Fe

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Dario Nardi, in a recent interview stated that after forty, stable, balanced INFJs and ISTPs become more alike as their tertiary and inferior functions began to play a more dominant role in their lives. Considering that both types have the same functions but in different order and that both tend toward introversion, this makes sense. So if you were to meet a 44 year old ISTP who was mentally stable and chronologically mature (emotionally and mentally) he might be very difficult to distinguish from a 44 year old INFJ who was also mentally and emotionally mature. You would have to spend significant time with them to ascertain the difference.

I would add that having a common enneagram would make a significant impact. Both ISTPs and INFJs can be found as E9s.

I imagine that in younger years ESTP might be a common mistype, but that seems to have been established already.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dario Nardi, in a recent interview stated that after forty, stable, balanced INFJs and ISTPs become more alike as their tertiary and inferior functions began to play a more dominant role in their lives. Considering that both types have the same functions but in different order and that both tend toward introversion, this makes sense. So if you were to meet a 44 year old ISTP who was mentally stable and chronologically mature (emotionally and mentally) he might be very difficult to distinguish from a 44 year old INFJ who was also mentally and emotionally mature. You would have to spend significant time with them to ascertain the difference.

I would add that having a common enneagram would make a significant impact. Both ISTPs and INFJs can be found as E9s.

I imagine that in younger years ESTP might be a common mistype, but that seems to have been established already.

I would somewhat agree with the ISTP/INFJ comment. Need to dig deeper into both theory and real life examples, but high level I can see it both theory and in looking at mature ISTPs and INFJs.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ If you are just looking on the surface, superficial plane. But what does that matter?

Underneath we are very very different.