• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi Abstract Values?

doppelganger

MBTI Type
INTP
Hello SFPs! I have a question about Fi in your types. Do you see Fi as abstract, universal values? Or does your Se shape your Fi to make your values more concrete? For example, how would you compare your values to INFPs or ENFPs who have Ne instead?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Um........I dunno.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm Fi Ne so, pheww
I saw "Fi" so I jumped in.
Ehem, back to your question, er, I don't know :sorry:

:backout:

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well it's not like I know what it's like to be a Ne user, but sometimes I get Fi-sad/melancholic triggered by sensory stimuli, like for example I'd eat at a restaurant and if the food is awful, I get sad. Not because the food is bad, mind you, but because well, if the food is bad then they can't possibly have a lot of returning customers, and they probably don't do very well and maybe the owners are struggling. I feel sad because the bad food would invoke the financial struggles of the people who run this restaurant... So yeah, you follow what I'm saying? Of course the more "sensible" and "pragmatic" response most people have would be, "well they should make better food!"

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't speak for other ISFPs, but my experience is:
I do philosophize quite a bit, and I think about right and wrong, good and evil, and the question of what's meaningful and essential in an abstract & universal way, but I think this is Fi and Ni working together, not Fi alone.

Sometimes I actually push my idealism and the universal values I've built to the back of my mind and just act in accordance with what works. I have a significant streak of moral pragmatism in me. When I'm in concrete FiSe mode, I'm more likely to think about specific situations, often related to the here-and-now. It's less "what is universally right/good/true, and how can I apply these values all the time" and more "how can I maximize my own and others' well-being in this situation"/"what's the right/best thing to do in this situation" in accordance with which way my inner compass is pointing at that moment. The one very simple universal rule that guides my choices (not counting when I'm being selfish and impulsive) is that people's lives should be treated as precious (even if life isn't meaningful or precious in absolute terms) and I should try to enrich others' lives, or at least avoid doing anything that makes their lives suck more, basically.

doppelganger

MBTI Type
INTP
I can't speak for other ISFPs, but my experience is:
I do philosophize quite a bit, and I think about right and wrong, good and evil, and the question of what's meaningful and essential in an abstract & universal way, but I think this is Fi and Ni working together, not Fi alone.

Sometimes I actually push my idealism and the universal values I've built to the back of my mind and just act in accordance with what works. I have a significant streak of moral pragmatism in me. When I'm in concrete FiSe mode, I'm more likely to think about specific situations, often related to the here-and-now. It's less "what is universally right/good/true, and how can I apply these values all the time" and more "how can I maximize my own and others' well-being in this situation"/"what's the right/best thing to do in this situation" in accordance with which way my inner compass is pointing at that moment. The one very simple universal rule that guides my choices (not counting when I'm being selfish and impulsive) is that people's lives should be treated as precious (even if life isn't meaningful or precious in absolute terms) and I should try to enrich others' lives, or at least avoid doing anything that makes their lives suck more, basically.

Interesting. So you think of Ni as being abstract and Se as being concrete. When you are in Fi-Se mode and are concerned with a particular situation do you actually take cues from Se to help your Fi make decisions? How does this work--can you give an example? And I'm particularly interested in Se working in ways that it doesn't for ppl who aren't ISFPs or Se-doms or auxs. And likewise, when you are in Fi-Ni mode how do you use Ni together with Fi? An example, again, would be helpful.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes Se is used to assert a certain value,but usually it's separate from Fi. My Fi is seen in the way I treat and react to people. My Se shows my ability to pick a course of action and make it happen, a will. Sure when I draw I'm engaging feeling and sensing, but I don't do this all the time. Ne, I imagine would be more indecisive in everyday matters and not as interested in practical pursuits.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Interesting. So you think of Ni as being abstract and Se as being concrete.
Yes, absolutely, OF COURSE.
( I don't mean that as antagonistic )

When you are in Fi-Se mode and are concerned with a particular situation do you actually take cues from Se to help your Fi make decisions?
No - In that Fi immediately sets a hard moral baseline that all other cognition must lay on top of, or build upon.
Yes- In that contextual physical understanding lends an insight and awareness into a situation that cognition and feeling cannot.

Do you see Fi as abstract, universal values? Or does your Se shape your Fi to make your values more concrete?

I find Fi to be deeply, problematically, personal.
Fi is inseparable from my self, Fi often triggers my baseline understanding of something, my analysis of someone or a situation-
I find that Fi often sets my reaction to something long before I realize or understand my feelings.
I think that Fi is a basis of ISTPs self-identity, it rules our decision-making fundamental way.

I would say that Se applies the construct of reality onto Fi's idealistic dreaming.