• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How to know someone ISTP vs. ESTP ?

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just the major differences you'd be able to tell right off the bat (though I realize it's wise to take everything into context). Are ISTP's just quieter (the one I knew was fairly quiet). How would I know ?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
T vs S... ISTPs will be more focused... More contemplative... More concerned with systems and solutions. ESTPs will be more action-oriented... I think it's usually easier to tell an ESxP because they come and go like the wind, flowing energetically from potential to potential, like they are riding from wavecrest to wavecrest...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
T vs S... ISTPs will be more focused... More contemplative... More concerned with systems and solutions. ESTPs will be more action-oriented... I think it's usually easier to tell an ESxP because they come and go like the wind, flowing energetically from potential to potential, like they are riding from wavecrest to wavecrest...

ISTPs are also more focused on the logical aspects of things. ESTPs have more of a friendly people-person aspect. ISTPs confuse facts of reality with logic. ISTP is more patient, ESTP wants to get moving and make things happen quickly. ISTP prefers working alone, they could perhaps be called loners. ESTPs enjoy working with others as long as they bring them what they want.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTPs are also more focused on the logical aspects of things. ESTPs have more of a friendly people-person aspect. ISTPs confuse facts of reality with logic. ISTP is more patient, ESTP wants to get moving and make things happen quickly. ISTP prefers working alone, they could perhaps be called loners. ESTPs enjoy working with others as long as they bring them what they want.

:yes: Good additions.

My ISTP brother has said "I just don't understand why everything isn't logical." :laugh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I dont confuse facts of reality with logic, I have logic based on outcome which is tied to values, I dont confuse it with reality, it just differs from the way things are. I follow my logic and refuse to follow any external logic unless it makes it through my logical filter. What ends up is I have a much different view on how I operate and what I think then main stream. I also prefer to live in my logical world rather then in the mainstream world. Thats why I dont like politics...I understand the reality, but I refuse to follow it because why follow whats screwed up in the first place. In other words, I beat to my own drum, not the worlds.

Yes, I am ISTP even though it says ESTP. I fit more ESTP then what has become the "stereotypical" ISTP. I am just more subdued and mellow...and not a huge people person. Just dont confuse not a people person with being rude...its more that I am reserved and quite. I tend to bend over backward for the people around me without even batting an eye or having to second think it.

I refuse to be a follower, I refuse to follow the "revenge" mentality. Screw me over, I dont want you in my life, you arent worth my time. I would prefer to spend the time advancing my life without you in it. I dont follow the "typical" games. I use my senses to "see" reality for what it is, not for what other people follow. I watched my parents and learned what I did and didnt like and created my own set of logic and values. I didnt inherit my parents logic or values, mine are based off of cause and effect all which was observed. I saw the effact of frustration when working and logic says...the outcome is stupid and counter productive. I have seen the games people play and the hurt it causes, logic says counter productive. I saw the effect of things my dad did and how my mom responded and learned and created my own logic od what to do and what not to do. I watched my dads response and did the same thing. I watch people and see what actually "is", not some "deeper meaning" that people pull out of there ass half the time.

I am a realist, not the typical "realist" who call them self that because they see the negative in the world and arent afraid to vent about it, but the kind that sees things as they are, not some ideal or some "protect myself from what I dont want" vission. This is why I have so much issues with religion, I see it for why it is needed, why it thrives. Is it real...honestly I have no clue, when I die I will find out...aka...I will see/experience, but I know why people flock to it like they do. Most dont want to admit why and dont accept it because if they did it means it may not actually be real.

wolfy

awsm
Put something in front of them. Talk about their orientation to it.

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One is a sensing type and the other is a logical type.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One does stupid shit, but is smart.
The other does smart shit, but is stupid.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
One is a sensing type and the other is a logical type.
Yes, I think that is the crux of it.
ISTPs often enjoy believing ourselves to be profoundly sensory, and very often we revel in it.
But our strength is in our selective data recognition; carefully in-taking data, and integrating it into our dependable solid framework.
It is also our weakness.

Put something in front of them. Talk about their orientation to it.
Yes, I think you are right!

oneandonly

MBTI Type
INFJ
I dont know if a rather new aquaintance is ISTP or ESTP.. but she calls too often it is overwhelming, she texts and texts without me responding.. and even though ive told her I've got a serious problem with pests that I am stressed and busy and had to literally get upset with her on the phone all emotional about it, she still continues... she has no idea I just need personal space... shes really nice, although misguided.. I just dont know how to get the point across to her... She is also trying to buy me with bribes.. which I think is so strange.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As with any I vs E type, we internalize before we put ourself out into the world. E learns through experience, I learns through internalizing

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
ESTPs have more of a friendly people-person aspect.

Ehhh...not always. Some ESTPs are hostile and anti-social. They like to hang around people who can challenge them, so if everyone they encounter seems stupid and unworthy to them then they will not appear friendly or "people persons."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehhh...not always. Some ESTPs are hostile and anti-social. They like to hang around people who can challenge them, so if everyone they encounter seems stupid and unworthy to them then they will not appear friendly or "people persons."

In general I'm correct. In particular, your mileage may vary.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I think that is the crux of it.
ISTPs often enjoy believing ourselves to be profoundly sensory, and very often we revel in it.
But our strength is in our selective data recognition; carefully in-taking data, and integrating it into our dependable solid framework.
It is also our weakness.

Yes, I think you are right!

I see a lot of talk about logic with ISTP's. I think this is partially right. I don't know if I'm different from the norm of ISTPs but logic isn't at the forefront of my thinking. "What makes the most sense here?" is a better idea of how my brain works. I'm MUCH more concerned with reasonableness than logic for its own sake. Just because something is logical doesn't mean it's accurate or the best choice to get the results/solutions I want.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I would think the two are very different. At least from the ESTPs I know, there is no risk of seeing them as introverts. Though, I think ISTPs might seem more introverted, with the Se?

I think ISTPs would be more monotone and less animated. They would also give off a vibe of rationality. But I'm not sure if I know any ISTPs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would think the two are very different. At least from the ESTPs I know, there is no risk of seeing them as introverts. Though, I think ISTPs might seem more introverted, with the Se?

I think ISTPs would be more monotone and less animated. They would also give off a vibe of rationality. But I'm not sure if I know any ISTPs.

Agree with "monotone and less animated," based on personal experience, although I'm not sure 'monotone' is quite the right way to describe the ISTP voice. I would describe it as a quick "clipped" manner of speech, as in "having quick short sounds." ISTPs are quite talkative when they like the topic. But they are not charmers or smooth-talkers like ESTPs can be. The ESTP is also group-oriented and pragmatic. ESTPs are more anecdotal in their speaking than ISTPs, although the latter also enjoy anecdotal speech. They both like to tell stories about the past (no that's not Si). But the ESTP anecdotes involve both themselves and groups while ISTP anecdotes involve either themselves alone or themselves with another person.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see a lot of talk about logic with ISTP's. I think this is partially right. I don't know if I'm different from the norm of ISTPs but logic isn't at the forefront of my thinking. "What makes the most sense here?" is a better idea of how my brain works. I'm MUCH more concerned with reasonableness than logic for its own sake. Just because something is logical doesn't mean it's accurate or the best choice to get the results/solutions I want.
Yes, and that's how people would say I am as well. Logic plays a part, but I am not stuck in some this logical path is how things are. Its more of a fuzzy logic, not some concrete logic. Logic flows down multiple paths they combine, they split, they detour to come back to just past where it was. Its not really straight forward, cut and dry.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Agree with "monotone and less animated," based on personal experience, although I'm not sure 'monotone' is quite the right way to describe the ISTP voice. I would describe it as a quick "clipped" manner of speech, as in "having quick short sounds." ISTPs are quite talkative when they like the topic. But they are not charmers or smooth-talkers like ESTPs can be. The ESTP is also group-oriented and pragmatic. ESTPs are more anecdotal in their speaking than ISTPs, although the latter also enjoy anecdotal speech. They both like to tell stories about the past (no that's not Si). But the ESTP anecdotes involve both themselves and groups while ISTP anecdotes involve either themselves alone or themselves with another person.

I actually don't talk much about my past unless I force myself to. I would rather talk about going forward or analysis of things around me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually don't talk much about my past unless I force myself to. I would rather talk about going forward or analysis of things around me.

I predicted that an ISTP would contradict me.

Let's say that there are 10 million ISTPs in the world. 9 million are anecdotal (which is the term I used, not "talk about my past"), while 1 million are not anecdotal. On the other hand, if there are 10 million ESTPs in the world, where 9,500,000 are anecdotal while 500,000 are not anecdotal, it remains true that ESTPs are more anecdotal than ISTPs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I predicted that an ISTP would contradict me.

Let's say that there are 10 million ISTPs in the world. 9 million are anecdotal (which is the term I used, not "talk about my past"), while 1 million are not anecdotal. On the other hand, if there are 10 million ESTPs in the world, where 9,500,000 are anecdotal while 500,000 are not anecdotal, it remains true that ESTPs are more anecdotal than ISTPs.

See bolded