• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] How to know someone ISTP vs. ESTP ?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTPs are always big people. ISTPs are usually not.

ESTPs are aggressive, unless life has beaten them down, and even then they either become apathetic and unhealthy or turn unstable and dangerous. They need to dominate their surroundings and other people. I don't think they'd say this if you asked; it's just what they do.

ISTPs are logical and thorough in their pursuits, although their wisdom at selecting pursuits is frequently questionable. These are the people who know everything there is to know about motorcycles, IMO. They like having fun, just like ESTPs, and they also might drift through life, also like some ESTPs. If they do have a goal, they'll work hard for it, but they don't look as visibly intimidating and "Move out of this train's way" like ESTPs on the way up.

ESTPs don't usually look smart, even if they are. They don't seem high class or educated or polished or academic no matter how high they climb. I find that strange because when they are focused they are just about the most effective type, but it is what it is. Perhaps it's because their interest in knowledge tends to be either 'this is a hobby' or 'I can use this'. They don't take ideas in themselves seriously. They're too reality-based.

ISTPs can look smart or not depending on what they are doing in life. If they are an engineer, they're going to know about engineering and look 'smart'. If they are a firefighter, they're going to become obsessed with motorcycles and look like your average guy.

Neither type is motivated by academics for its own sake, but the ESTP is most maladapted for academia and is likely to be persecuted by teachers for standing out and being an individual instead of an automaton. Neither type likes to be controlled, but this is written on the ESTP's face whereas the ISTP is more low key.

Many ESTPs, if they are in the mood, can be really funny and 'the life of the party'. Very jolly, like Santa Claus. ISTPs can't be Santa Claus.

These types are radically different. The orientation towards adventure and action is about the only similarity. One is mild, the other is fierce. One is a technician, the other is a warrior. Both could be pioneers, soldiers, and so on, but one is a "Viking" and the other is not.

I dont know anything about motorcycles. I have actually restricted myself from owning or having one :( Maybe when my kid is old and out of the house. I know me and I know my need for speed. It has only been thwarted because I dont feel like dealing with tickets these days so I stay under 90MPH.

I am not a good example of your knowlegde. I learn everything and anything and can apply it almost instantly with very good at application of it. Engineer bored me because its not enough hands on. I want a balance of theory and hands on.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dont know anything about motorcycles. I have actually restricted myself from owning or having one :( Maybe when my kid is old and out of the house. I know me and I know my need for speed. It has only been thwarted because I dont feel like dealing with tickets these days so I stay under 90MPH.

I am not a good example of your knowlegde. I learn everything and anything and can apply it almost instantly with very good at application of it. Engineer bored me because its not enough hands on. I want a balance of theory and hands on.

Meaning you dispute my characterizations? They are just specific examples that I have seen of an underlying pattern. But as you say, the pattern can manifest in different ways. This is why at first it is harder to type people of another culture vs. your own, because the way the patterns manifest is different. And memorizing behaviors which typically reflect the underlying ratio/pattern differences is easier than trying to directly detect the patterns.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly tho - you can tell by their phones. The main difference is how often their phone rings.

I may have a lot of acquaintances but my phone usage (texts/communication) compared to my ESTP friends? Forget about it. I can leave my phone alone for days and prefer that (if not for work) and never miss a call except from one or two very close people.