• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs....philosophical?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Found this earlier: PINK MANHATTAN: INFJ / ISTP Tertiary Loop (plus celebrities & MBTI Types)

INFJ and ISTP are both philosophical types. INTJs are more known for their inclination towards philosophical pursuits, while INFJs are more often associated with psychology (because as NF (iNtuitive Feelers), they're credited with being experts at character study, like the ENFJ Actor), but the fact that clergy is among the INFJ's suggested careers is with good reason; we ask the deep questions. It turns out INFJ and ISTP share a tendency to cope through philosophical means, "with ISTPs ranked first among all the types in using spiritual /philosophical coping resources." (Source: J. Shelton, in MBTI Applications by A.L. Hammer, 1996. I don't ever recall the ISTP being called a philosophical type before, but there it is--the tools they try to master are not only in the physical realm. Beliefs and belief systems can be useful tools in many cases; what we choose to believe has transformative powers.

Thoughts?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My thoughts are about whether you relate to it or not.

well, i've always enjoyed philosophy, but i never considered myself a super deep person. i continually ask new questions in my head but that doesn't make me a philosopher.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Jung said sensors have a far more mystical character than intuitors, who are typically oriented towards the quasi-actual - sexuality, financial status, suspected illnesses.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I find that ISTPs have a tendency to re-state and fall-back on ideas/beliefs that are very familiar.

I also think that because ISTPs spend so much time evaluating their own personal world,
it appears to others that ISTPs are philosophical.

á´…eparted

passages
well, i've always enjoyed philosophy, but i never considered myself a super deep person. i continually ask new questions in my head but that doesn't make me a philosopher.

FWIW, philosophy usually annoys the crap out of me, and I am the inverse of an ISTP :alttongue:.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think SPs can be philosophical. I am, but it is more of the "how to live" kind. Analytical philosophy bores the living hell out of me. I did like Plato when I was in college, it seemed to represented the way I felt about the world, about there being absolute beauty, justice, etc. Even if I read philosophy, I may understand what's being said, but I have a difficult time trying to explain it in a way that shows I understand it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think SPs can be philosophical. I am, but it is more of the "how to live" kind. Analytical philosophy bores the living hell out of me. I did like Plato when I was in college, it seemed to represented the way I felt about the world, about there being absolute beauty, justice, etc. Even if I read philosophy, I may understand what's being said, but I have a difficult time trying to explain it in a way that shows I understand it.

The allegory of the cave is my favorite thing from Plato.

I suppose ISTPs can get philosophical in the throes of a Ti-Ni loop.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that ISTPs have a tendency to re-state and fall-back on ideas/beliefs that are very familiar.

I also think that because ISTPs spend so much time evaluating their own personal world,
it appears to others that ISTPs are philosophical.

Self-evaluation and self-awareness create ripe breeding grounds for philosophical thinking, perhaps?

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Type of life/philosophical books that I haven't read, but would like to:

A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy, by William Irvine
or
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really deep philosophy bores me. Lets play, have fun, come up with a few "deep thoughts". Coming up with philosophies about philosophies bores me. Its like speculating about speculations...nothing more then mental masterbation and we are physical types :D philosophy leads to life, not to more philosophy.

Bog

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
I definitely go through phases. One month I might be devouring philosophy, spending hours reading and thinking and writing, and then it will start to exhaust me, so I'll spend a few months of hedonism, then back to deep thinking for a while. My whole life goes through phases really. I've never been very balanced.

Since last summer:
May-July=paying off college debt phase... worked 70 hours/week and enjoyed it, finally quit because I was annoyed that I was functioning as the boss but not earning a boss salary, and couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to explain to call my head boss and explain that my sweet, fun 63 year old boss was actually incompetent
August-Spent a month studying for the LSAT, scored well enough to ensure a full scholarship, then realized as much as I love arguing, I'd hate being in an office all day and heard enough horror stories from my dad about judges who have no knowledge of the law and make rulings based on their prejudices
Sept-November-took a job teaching in Central America, did a lot of partying
November-December-no more partying, got in a nature-loving "volcano climbing" phase
January-February-ravenously philosophical, basically gave up my religion, became a vegetarian despite liking meat, started caring about people other than myself
March-August-marathon training, started working only part time to focus on training, and earned more from road racing than my job
September-October-despite getting really good and being really happy, started thinking about the purpose of life and even if I could get to be GREAT at running, is it worth the effort? nah! decided to move on to the next chapter of life
November-Now-family time, lots of strategy games, making fun of idiots in the world, a bit of fantasy reading and most recently, an interest in typology

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Self-evaluation and self-awareness create ripe breeding grounds for philosophical thinking, perhaps?

Yes of course!!
But often I find that a familiarity with self-evaluation leads to excessive masturbatory self-absorption.
I find that it becomes increasingly difficult and increasingly important to distinguish between identity-masturbation and real understanding.
But I am alarmingly and perilously enamored and IN LOVE with myself, so......

I definitely go through phases. One month I might be devouring philosophy, spending hours reading and thinking and writing, and then it will start to exhaust me, so I'll spend a few months of hedonism, then back to deep thinking for a while. My whole life goes through phases really. I've never been very balanced.
Yes, I am very much the same.
And even from hour-to-hour.
I will go from;
Loving philosophy, deeply desirous of understanding, of the concept of understanding, desiring and seeking a rational understanding of reality,... to
Fuck you for asking questions, what value do questions have? You're such a dumb fucking cunt.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My impression would have been that introverts are more generally philosophical, since they play with innate ideas.

But I also think philosophising may be independent of type somewhat.

Idkkkk

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes of course!!
But often I find that a familiarity with self-evaluation leads to excessive masturbatory self-absorption.
I find that it becomes increasingly difficult and increasingly important to distinguish between identity-masturbation and real understanding.

yes, I can be a bit narcissistic

Bog

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Yes of course!!

Same. My mom once told me I was too in love with myself to ever fall in love. In her mind, it was the worst insult she could muster. Not offended in the least, I just shrugged and said, yeah, you might be right.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if I'm in love with myself. First I'd have to really analyze and think about what that word even means.

I would say I am very content with myself. There are some things I might change, like certain unhealthy habits, but overall I see no use or gain in sitting and daydreaming about some idealized version of myself that is beyond attainment--that would be my own identity-masturbation, to borrow [MENTION=20418]Dannik[/MENTION]'s phrase. Not to say that I haven't been in those Ti-Ni self-analytical loops in the past, but at this point in my life, the time I might spend doing this could be far better used venturing out into the physical world and pursuing interests and activities. Anyway, If I really want to improve myself, I'd be far more likely to do so by engaging in said activities rather than daydreaming or speculating about what I could be doing.

That said, yes, I agree that a certain degree of self-analysis and reflection is or can be very healthy, as it can help sensors like us better analyze and understand the universe around us--help us to realize there is more than just what can be seen, felt, heard, tasted, smelled.

We are all the center of our own universe, when you think about it. Everything we experience in this world (using that term in a broader sense, not just to mean this particular planet) is an extension of our own minds. Yes, the universe exists after we are gone and it was here before we were born, but in a certain sense, we do create the universe in our mind as we experience it via our perception. In a Jungian sense, these perceived images, sounds, etc which make up the universe are given value or structure via our own judgements. The internal mind is just as important, if not more so, than the physical, in creating reality.

Wow, that just flowed out. I rambled for a bit.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am always working to be a better person, but just like starcrash its through action. I know what I want and I go for it. I dont really analyze where I am, where I wanna be, how can I get there, wht percentage complete am I , etc. I just move and push in the direction I want.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Same. My mom once told me I was too in love with myself to ever fall in love. In her mind, it was the worst insult she could muster. Not offended in the least, I just shrugged and said, yeah, you might be right.

Yes, I think that to be in love with your self is one of life's greatest pleasures and rewards.

I would say I am very content with myself.
YES, i think that is the goal of life.

etc. and...;
What I meant by 'Loving Yourself' ..is believing that you are crucial to your understanding of the world,
you are crucial to understanding and creating your concept of reality,
that you shape reality,
that you are a profound reality in which you are are an intrinsic part.