• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs....philosophical?

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I was a philosophy major. Still got a bachelor of science though. Took mostly logic classes because I was really good with symbolic logic. For my other major's classes I mostly read summaries not the actual texts except for Machiavelli's Prince because it's short and to the point and I love what he had to say, very practical and generally not as harsh and manipulative as people seem to think it is. In fact, most ruthless dictators and bastard politicians wouldn't pass Machiavelli's "Well, if you have to be a dictator..." test. But that's a tangent.

Ultimately I went into philosophy because I'd just left my religion so I had some curiosity there and I didn't really know what to do with myself (what major, what career, anything long term really) and it seemed like the best way to figure that out.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took philosophy in college. The only thing I remember is the teacher asking us "if you could become the smartest person in the world but be unhappy or be stupid and happy - what would you choose?"

I was the ONLY one who raised my hand for being stupid and happy. That floored me.

Anyway, going down the rabbit hole is tedious. My philosophy is smoking a bit and thinking. Somehow that assimilates a lot of information for me in good ways. Hard to describe how but it's my own rabbit hole.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think ISTPs can be philosophical, yes. As someone said above, the Ti makes them independent, critical thinkers. I've realised this through contemplating two celebrities - Bruce Lee and Harrison Ford. Both known for their physicality. But both majored in Philosophy.