• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] A problem I can't solve ISTP or ESTP

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
Hello there my fellow SP brothers and sisters, long time lurker here. Been reading about MBTI for a couple of years but still have issues when it comes to what I'm. Maybe its that whole not being happy with a conclusion thing. For a long time I thought I was an ISTP yet for some reason I can't help but see things that suggest ESTP. For one every time I hear my voice when my friend records footage I sound very extroverted. Even my INTJ friend who I met on the forum along time ago was surprised by my voice. Didn't sound as monotone as he expected. I read up on the inferior functions of ISTP and ESTP. Its very hard for me to determine if I experience inferior Ni or Fe during stress. Still trying to figure out if I'm a dominant Ti or Se user

Not sure where I get my energy from. I have the tendency to be the most playful around friends, definitely the leader.

Things that make me consider ESTP;
Can read people well
Easy to talk to, many people don't feel judge
Don't self reflect a lot but when I do think in my head its normally about my goals.
I tend to ask others for their opinion and advice oppose to just formulating one of my own without feedback.I bounce my solutions off of my friends to make sure I'm choosing the best option.
Notice I message/text my friends everyday to converse. Can't think of a single day I have not done this.
Not a word master like many Ti dominants, language is a useful tool but I'm certainly more efficient with basic terms oppose to a huge vocabulary.
I can be impatient when it comes to stuff I want. Such as calling every store in my area to see if they carry a product I'm interested. Even to go as far as checking UPS every so often to see when my package is arriving. When I want something I want it now.
Not a one liner kind of guy.
I don't see things in a large scale blueprint or diagram when I'm troubleshooting something like many ISTP have spoken on. Perhaps a stereotype. But with me I try to ask the right questions to determine problem.
Have a very hard time coming up with self analysis like my INFP friend does. He knows so much about himself always self reflecting.
Like to look nice, hair, shoes and clothes.

ISTP elements -
Independent , self sufficient. I look up answers to my questions or problems.
Not talkative unless I have something to share or relate to the topic at hand.
Hard to get to know according to my friends
Don't smile, not very loud and definitely not very open
I do spend lots of time honing my craft
A skeptic and my own worst critic
I have a tendency to question my gut feeling. Been trying to do less of this as of 2013
Interest of mine are on the more fictional side of things like scifi, anime, fiction
Everyone who knows me considers me different very unique.

Random facts that may help-
Have a more dark personality compare to light and warm. Tho I'm got a fire inside of me that many of my friends envy.
My ENFP roommate and I have the best laughs.
Even when I'm quiet I'm always in tune with my surroundings. Such as people talking, or whats on the television.
I have conversations with Cashiers if they seem friendly or attractive
Love absolutely love eating food.
Have very quiet steps, sometime scares my coworkers and friends when I walk beside them.
Children seem to love me yet I don't want kids at all.
When I'm depress I do think of terrible outcomes for myself and I also have a hard time controlling my emotions. I lock myself up in my room and cry. More introverted and a loner than I normally am.
Last but not least I'm good at Killing Zombies haha

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm an ESTP 8. I identify with scaring people by appearing right next to them and walking quietly. Its said in socionics that the ESTp has a catlike gait.

More specifically I'm a socionics SLE-Ti, as opposed to the SLE-Se. What this means is, I'm an ESTP with an emphasis on Ti, so I tend to be much quieter, guarded, reflective and cutting in my judgements.

I too am very dark, except instead of dark I'm light... if that kinda makes sense. You'll still burn when you're around me but I'm by no means affiliated with dark things, though my existence of stark light implies darkness.

A big difference between ESTP and ISTP is that ISTP's life purpose revolves around self reflection, then experiencing the world to expand upon that self reflection, whereas an ESTPs life revolves around experiencing the world, and reflecting on what it meant, but ultimately striving to experience all the world has to offer. Both, however, can appear introverted or extroverted in a social sense of the word.

have you tried looking into socionics as well? Its a fresh perspective on what you are, might make things clearer.

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
ESTP. Your writing style.

"Have a more dark personality compare to light and warm." According to the socionics model that I use (which nobody else in this forum uses, sorry - everything I say will make no sense to most of the people here), you will tend to express negative emotions (-Fe), which is in your 4th function. An ISTP is the opposite - they have +Fe as part of their 4th function, and they will tend to express happy-smiley feelings by default, and will suppress any expressions of darkness and negative emotions. Both ISTJs and ESTPs (Beta Quadra) will tend to express negative emotions and gloominess and have a different pattern of emotional expression than ISTPs and ESTJs do (Delta Quadra).

"my fellow SP brothers and sisters" - This is -Se, global extraverted sensing. Everyone together, everyone brothers and sisters, the individual people are not emphasized, the whole group is emphasized, all people. An ISTP uses +Se, local extraverted sensing - individual people and individual objects are unique, people are not seen as a group, group isn't emphasized, individual desires are emphasized instead of the group needs and group desires.

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
No but i will since you recommended it. Socionics is very new to me so a lot of what you say is alien to me. I will look into it, thanks for the feedback.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
ESTP. Your writing style.

"Have a more dark personality compare to light and warm." According to the socionics model that I use (which nobody else in this forum uses, sorry - everything I say will make no sense to most of the people here), you will tend to express negative emotions (-Fe), which is in your 4th function. An ISTP is the opposite - they have +Fe as part of their 4th function, and they will tend to express happy-smiley feelings by default, and will suppress any expressions of darkness and negative emotions. Both ISTJs and ESTPs (Beta Quadra) will tend to express negative emotions and gloominess and have a different pattern of emotional expression than ISTPs and ESTJs do (Delta Quadra).

"my fellow SP brothers and sisters" - This is -Se, global extraverted sensing. Everyone together, everyone brothers and sisters, the individual people are not emphasized, the whole group is emphasized, all people.

Hey this is good. ISTPs are definitely smiley and cheerful when compared to me. Its quite rare for me to say something positive, actually. ISTPs are also considered "Emotivists" whereas ESTPs are "Constructivists." We're serious business.

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
Hey this is good. ISTPs are definitely smiley and cheerful when compared to me. Its quite rare for me to say something positive, actually.

I was under the impression of the opposite..You hear the whole "can't stand people" get thrown around.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I was under the impression of the opposite..You hear the whole "can't stand people" get thrown around.

Yeah... for the most part those are ISTJs who identify with the stereotypes associated with being a perciever.

Some example celebs to help you see the difference.

ESTP:
Robert Patrick 8w7

ISTP:
DJ Tiesto 8w9

ISTJ:
Josh Brolin 8w9

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Pay attention to the overall demeanor and attitudes:

ESTP:
Robert Patrick 8w7

ISTP:
DJ Tiesto possible 3 or 8

ISTJ:
Josh brolin 8w9

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
Thanks for posting will watch tomorrow morning. Going to bed thank you for your helpful information.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello there my fellow SP brothers and sisters, long time lurker here. Been reading about MBTI for a couple of years but still have issues when it comes to what I'm. Maybe its that whole not being happy with a conclusion thing. For a long time I thought I was an ISTP yet for some reason I can't help but see things that suggest ESTP. For one every time I hear my voice when my friend records footage I sound very extroverted. Even my INTJ friend who I met on the forum along time ago was surprised by my voice. Didn't sound as monotone as he expected. I read up on the inferior functions of ISTP and ESTP. Its very hard for me to determine if I experience inferior Ni or Fe during stress. Still trying to figure out if I'm a dominant Ti or Se user

Not sure where I get my energy from. I have the tendency to be the most playful around friends, definitely the leader.

Things that make me consider ESTP;
Can read people well
Easy to talk to, many people don't feel judge
Don't self reflect a lot but when I do think in my head its normally about my goals.
I tend to ask others for their opinion and advice oppose to just formulating one of my own without feedback.I bounce my solutions off of my friends to make sure I'm choosing the best option.
Notice I message/text my friends everyday to converse. Can't think of a single day I have not done this.
Not a word master like many Ti dominants, language is a useful tool but I'm certainly more efficient with basic terms oppose to a huge vocabulary.
I can be impatient when it comes to stuff I want. Such as calling every store in my area to see if they carry a product I'm interested. Even to go as far as checking UPS every so often to see when my package is arriving. When I want something I want it now.
Not a one liner kind of guy.
I don't see things in a large scale blueprint or diagram when I'm troubleshooting something like many ISTP have spoken on. Perhaps a stereotype. But with me I try to ask the right questions to determine problem.
Have a very hard time coming up with self analysis like my INFP friend does. He knows so much about himself always self reflecting.
Like to look nice, hair, shoes and clothes.

ISTP elements -
Independent , self sufficient. I look up answers to my questions or problems.
Not talkative unless I have something to share or relate to the topic at hand.
Hard to get to know according to my friends
Don't smile, not very loud and definitely not very open
I do spend lots of time honing my craft
A skeptic and my own worst critic
I have a tendency to question my gut feeling. Been trying to do less of this as of 2013
Interest of mine are on the more fictional side of things like scifi, anime, fiction
Everyone who knows me considers me different very unique.

Random facts that may help-
Have a more dark personality compare to light and warm. Tho I'm got a fire inside of me that many of my friends envy.
My ENFP roommate and I have the best laughs.
Even when I'm quiet I'm always in tune with my surroundings. Such as people talking, or whats on the television.
I have conversations with Cashiers if they seem friendly or attractive
Love absolutely love eating food.
Have very quiet steps, sometime scares my coworkers and friends when I walk beside them.
Children seem to love me yet I don't want kids at all.
When I'm depress I do think of terrible outcomes for myself and I also have a hard time controlling my emotions. I lock myself up in my room and cry. More introverted and a loner than I normally am.
Last but not least I'm good at Killing Zombies haha

ESTP. Even the ISTP traits you list are also common with ESTPs.

Also the way you type, omitting words as though you were sort of impatient and needed to get everything down fast (I don't mean that insultingly); the way you make a list struck me as very ESTP-ish, although ISTPs and Ti doms in general might also do this.

I can't picture ISTPs having many conversations with cashiers unless they are regulars at a particular store, although it happens. In my case, I'm not usually the one to initiate conversation unless I am feeling particularly extraverted that day; sometimes female cashiers flirt with me, which always comes as a surprise, but I will gladly firt back and can't say I don't mind the attention. Your love of food could also indicate enneatype 7, although I love food too and I'm a 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey this is good. ISTPs are definitely smiley and cheerful when compared to me. Its quite rare for me to say something positive, actually. ISTPs are also considered "Emotivists" whereas ESTPs are "Constructivists." We're serious business.

ISTPs will feign the shit out of Fe, to the point that they can occasionally be mistaken for feelers by novice typologists.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah... for the most part those are ISTJs who identify with the stereotypes associated with being a perciever.

Some example celebs to help you see the difference.

ESTP:
Robert Patrick 8w7

ISTP:
DJ Tiesto 8w9

ISTJ:
Josh Brolin 8w9

Didn't you type Charles Bronson as an ISTJ? If so, I'm curious why. He strikes me as quintessentially Ti, at least in the characters he plays (and he pretty much played himself in every movie).

Han Solo would be a good example of a fictional ESTP. Dirty Harry is a good example of a fictional ISTP.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
ESTP. Even the ISTP traits you list are also common with ESTPs.

Also the way you type, omitting words as though you were sort of impatient and needed to get everything down fast (I don't mean that insultingly); the way you make a list struck me as very ESTP-ish, although ISTPs and Ti doms in general might also do this.

I can't picture ISTPs having many conversations with cashiers unless they are regulars at a particular store, although it happens. In my case, I'm not usually the one to initiate conversation unless I am feeling particularly extraverted that day; sometimes female cashiers flirt with me, which always comes as a surprise, but I will gladly firt back and can't say I don't mind the attention. Your love of food could also indicate enneatype 7, although I love food too and I'm a 5.

- - - Updated - - -

ISTPs will feign the shit out of Fe, to the point that they can occasionally be mistaken for feelers by novice typologists.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't you type Charles Bronson as an ISTJ? If so, I'm curious why. He strikes me as quintessentially Ti, at least in the characters he plays (and he pretty much played himself in every movie).

Han Solo would be a good example of a fictional ESTP. Dirty Harry is a good example of a fictional ISTP.

In my mind you are a socionics SLI, which means Si Te.

ESTP vs ISTP is like the team fortress 2 heavy/scout vs raiden from metal gear solid IV.

however if you are going by keirsey, then ISTP is fine if you identify more as a perciever. But functionally speaking, this is inaccurate.

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
Well I can definitely relate to the dirty harry reference. Nice videos, definitely a tough one. How are you guys energy levels?

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
Dont worry I didnt take it as an insult. Tho I still wish to understand what you see.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my mind you are a socionics SLI, which means Si Te.

ESTP vs ISTP is like the team fortress 2 heavy/scout vs raiden from metal gear solid IV.

however if you are going by keirsey, then ISTP is fine if you identify more as a perciever. But functionally speaking, this is inaccurate.

Believe me, I considered SiTe, but I can't identify strong usage of either function in myself.

If I go by Keirsey, I'm more INTP. In socionics tests, I have often tested as INTp (NiTe) and occasionally INFp (NiFe)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I can definitely relate to the dirty harry reference. Nice videos, definitely a tough one. How are you guys energy levels?

It depends. If I'm given an activity which stimulates me, I can reach ENTP or ESTP levels of energy and enthusiasm. If I'm sitting around the house, I tend to get restless and bored and need to do something with my hands (guitar, usually) to keep from becoming drained and lethargic.

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
Would you say your hot and cold? What makes you a dominant Ti over Se? So mbti your an intp but socionics Istp?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would you say your hot and cold? What makes you a dominant Ti over Se? So mbti your an intp but socionics Istp?

Cold, until my Se is stimulated, although I've had anger and aggression issues in the past. I can feign Fe and appear warm and sociable to get by in a professional environment, but it drains the shit out of my energy reserves. Yes, in MBTI I consistently test N over S. I really don't know enough about socionics to fully comment. I was simply saying I tend to test as NiTe or NiFe on socionics tests. It was Azure who suggested I am an ISTp (more or less the equivalent of a MBTI ISTJ)

ZombieKiller

Enneagram
You guys definitely have me leaning towards Estp. I just need a bit more information for me to make sense of it all. When I say i talk to cashier it doesnt mean every time. Ive read extrovert posses enthusiasm and high energy, something I cant say i relate to.