• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's: Favorite Entertainment!

Sunny Ghost

Favorite movies, shows, or books?

I'd also be interested to know why you love a particular movie, show, or book. What draws you to it?

Sunny Ghost

My current addiction is the tv show Game of Thrones and the books A Song of Ice and Fire. I love the complexity of all the characters, the worlds George R.R. Martin created, and also the parallels to our own world in this fantasy world's politics and religions. He's created this beautifully rich, complex world, with a history and it's own myths, and I can't help but to wonder where the future of Westeros will lie. This story is also particularly interesting because it's completely unpredictable.

I guess it should come as a no brainer that I'm also a Lord of the Rings and a Harry Potter fan. I love these stories, not necessarily for the fantastical element, (though that is cool, too) but because of these stories complexity. They are worlds you can easily lose yourself in. They are character driven. There are lessons to be learned on the way.

I was pretty sucked into True Blood for a while. I'm not certain what the draw was thinking on it now. It was addicting to watch.

Sherlock is one of my newer favorites. I love the witty character, especially Benedict Cumberbatch's version. I love the relationship between him and Watson. I love how creepy Moriarty is. And the romance to Irene Adler. Sherlock makes me want to solve crimes and become a detective.

Doctor Who is not great for it's special effects, but for it's depths. This show is very unique going from campy to dark, silly to smart. I'm not really sure I'm capable of verbalizing why I like this show so much. The aliens and robots can be downright cheesy, but there is something to the way this show is written that is just unique and different from other sci fi. The only comparison I can make is to one of my favorite books/radio show: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. BTW, Douglas Adams=genius. I love a lot of the existential thoughts Douglas Adams brings up in this book.

Fight Club is in my favorite books and movie list. I loved it because it was probably the first time I'd really seen someone attack consumerism/materialism, and at the age I had read and watched it, it really resonated with me.

How I Met Your Mother is one of the few sitcoms I really enjoy. The show is unique, funny and smart. I tend to compare it to Seinfeld a lot. There are so many jokes HIMYM makes that I pull into daily life.
I have others I want to list and talk about, but I need to stop there for the moment.

S

Stansmith

Films

Persona (1966)
Scenes from a Marriage (1972)
La Collectionneuse (1967); I have no idea why I enjoy this one so much.
The Mirror (1975)
Through a Glass Darkly (1961)

Honorable mention: The Virgin Spring (1960), Stalker (1979), The 400 Blows (1959).

TV Shows

Mad Men
The Sopranos

-----

I could try and articulate why I enjoy these films/tv shows, but I'm afraid it'll sound like gibberish on my part. Generally, I prefer entertainment that's thoughtful, well-crafted, and successful at conveying the subtleties of human emotion and tragedy. As for why I feel so strongly about these films/shows in particular, as opposed to other similar productions, I can't really say with much certainty. The connection I have with them is irrational.

badger055

Permabanned
suits - I like the characters. Louis and harold are hilarious. I like some of harvey's quotes.
the big bang theory - I like the characters and it's well written. I kind of want friends like that.
how I met your mother - I like barney. I can relate to his crazy schemes, crazy theories, manipulation, lack of morals, fear of commitment and fear of living a normal life.
the walking dead - I want to live in the apocalypse
battlestar galactica - I don't know it was awesome

fight club - Favourite movie of all time. Contains most of my philosophy for life. I live like tyler durden.

Sunny Ghost

suits - I like the characters. Louis and harold are hilarious. I like some of harvey's quotes.
the big bang theory - I like the characters and it's well written. I kind of want friends like that.
how I met your mother - I like barney. I can relate to his crazy schemes, crazy theories, manipulation, lack of morals, fear of commitment and fear of living a normal life.
the walking dead - I want to live in the apocalypse
battlestar galactica - I don't know it was awesome

fight club - Favourite movie of all time. Contains most of my philosophy for life. I live like tyler durden.
I feel like Fight Club really fits in to the SP mindset and why many of us seem to struggle in the world. I recall an ESTJ friend of mine not getting why Fight Club is so loved. It sort of clashes against Si and is very Se/Ni in it's philosophy. Or at least that's what I think.
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]--I've always thought you spoke your mind very clearly. Plus, the aspect of explaining why we love what we love, rather than list writing, seems far more interesting to me.

badger055

Permabanned
I feel like Fight Club really fits in to the SP mindset and why many of us seem to struggle in the world. I recall an ESTJ friend of mine not getting why Fight Club is so loved. It sort of clashes against Si and is very Se/Ni in it's philosophy. Or at least that's what I think.
Yea I had an ISTJ friend not really get it either. He said he was the guy they were describing with the ikea catalogue needing it to feel complete lol.

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]--I've always thought you spoke your mind very clearly. Plus, the aspect of explaining why we love what we love, rather than list writing, seems far more interesting to me.

David Fincher movies in general are pretty SP-friendly. I think he's ISTP.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I thought Chuck Palahniuk was ENTP. :shrug:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Simpsons and I Havnt watched that in forever. don't watch much TV or read books. Action, comedy, love stories with comedy. My gf laughs because movie time usually turns into sex 99% of the time with me.

wolfy

awsm
I like action movies. I have seen so many action movies I sometimes imagine my car might explode on ignition.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TV Shows - My favorite show of all time is probably Six Feet Under. Rich, meaningful, real character development, emotions, complexities. I loved Felicity for the same reason. :) I suppose Lost fits in there as well, but it also has the epic fantastical storyline, more the sci-fi suspense element that I like a lot as well.

I don't watch a lot of tv (haven't even had cable for 5 yrs or so), so now it's just watching older series that I never previously saw. I LOVE Farscape - great character development, really good sci-fi, has the action/suspense element as well. I also have recently started watching the old Arrested Development series and its comedy is right up my alley.

Movies - I like a lot, and can appreciate a lot for different reasons. Then ofc there are a lot out there that are 'meh'. Some of the ones I have really liked are The English Patient, Apocaplyse Now, 12 Monkeys, The Motorcycle Diaries, Lost in Translation, the LOTR series, Amadeus, The Black Swan. For example. I think the movies I really like have what I consider good cinematography, often take place in other countries or other worlds (think it pulls at my craving for new experiences /the broader world out there, and I get an itch to go to those places - the 'life is out there to live' feeling), if they are dramas, they have more poignant character relationships (and I think most of the movies I've listed touch on deeper emotions and the human condition, and questioning that comes with that), and it appears the majority of the movies I've listed have strong music scores. :laugh: Not kidding - music adds to movies.

Sunny Ghost

I think the movies I really like have what I consider good cinematography, often take place in other countries or other worlds (think it pulls at my craving for new experiences /the broader world out there, and I get an itch to go to those places - the 'life is out there to live' feeling), if they are dramas, they have more poignant character relationships (and I think most of the movies I've listed touch on deeper emotions and the human condition, and questioning that comes with that), and it appears the majority of the movies I've listed have strong music scores. :laugh: Not kidding - music adds to movies.
Totally feel that. I like being pulled to different places. And a great musical score only intensifies the emotions.

Sunny Ghost

I think the movies I really like have what I consider good cinematography, often take place in other countries or other worlds (think it pulls at my craving for new experiences /the broader world out there, and I get an itch to go to those places - the 'life is out there to live' feeling), if they are dramas, they have more poignant character relationships (and I think most of the movies I've listed touch on deeper emotions and the human condition, and questioning that comes with that), and it appears the majority of the movies I've listed have strong music scores. :laugh: Not kidding - music adds to movies.
Totally feel that. I like being pulled to different places. And a great musical score only intensifies the emotions.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Books: American Top 40 - Countdown of the Century; Swing Your Sword; Please Understand Me II

Movies: Airplane!; The Last Starfighter; Wreck-it Ralph; 50 First Dates; The Truman Show; Finding Nemo; Austin Powers; The Secret of NIMH; The Shawshank Redemption; Speed; The Neverending Story; Bruce Almighty; Paul Blart: Mall Cop; Field of Dreams, The Yes Man, Wreck-it-Ralph, Bikini Carwash Company, etc...

TV shows: The Simpsons; Doctor Who; My So-Called Life; Everwood; Homicide: Life on the Street; 7th Heaven; Robotech; Family Ties; Growing Pains; Just the Ten of Us; One Life to Live; The Muppet Show; Fraggle Rock; NYPD Blue; Matinee at the Bijou; Garfield & Friends; Original Transformers, Hot Chicks Doing Stuff Naked,…

I like stuff that's funny, romantic, cool, mysterious, or some combination of those. :)