• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What are ways inferior Te can manifest itself in an ISFP?

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an ISFP and I was wondering how having inferior Te can manifest itself?

Standuble

I'm an INFP but I think it's roughly the same.

Normally:

A desire to order and arrange certain things which are neither valued or contribute to anything e.g. my databases at work are arranged into alpha-numeric order despite that I alone use them and I locate data via "control + F". The same as other resources at work - I see the need to arrange them into a logical sequence or to make them appear neat. To my conscious self such efforts are surplus to requirement but part of my mind feels good when I do it (as if I'm correcting something or even somehow acting on some idealistic impulse to "make the world a better place" but in this case one brick at a time). Otherwise it can be an emotional reaction to my incompetence or another's incompetence e.g. if someone fails at a task I consider simple I sometimes find myself viewing them in disdain or making statements about what someone should be doing or how someone should be doing something.

When under stress:

I start seeing everyone and everything as useless or insufferably stupid (including myself) and I try and avoid interaction - if someone speaks to me I tend to blow up in their face in response (it's like a pot or saucepan with boiling water, don't move the pot too fast or the boiling water may spill over the side and scold you) or I give angered responses e.g. "I'm fine" or "it doesn't matter" in a heightened, angry tone. I generally see the whole world as a failure at this time - it has failed both itself and failed me (though this may be the influence of my N) and any failures (even minor ones) that take place during this period are treated harshly e.g. if someone places something down in the wrong place or asks a question which I feel they should know the answer to I respond along the lines with "you're another one who can't do anything right!" / "don't you know anything" / "Look, it's not hard!" or anything else along those lines. The response is exaggerated and likely has burnt many of my bridges in the past.

I feel shame from my inferior Te outbursts after the smoke clears but the anger is at critical mass during those moments and I can't just ignore them). I tend to feel like I'm dying in the inside when I take my frustrations out on others. Unfortunately they happen more often than I wish they did. Guess its a symptom of working a job I dislike. To know what I am like when they occur I would invite you to imagine a mixture of Steve Jobs angry and Adolf Hitler angry. That is how I imagine myself at those time.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime they get apathic and angry. They call it "go mode" which still just translates into apathetic. They laugh at peoples pain. They tend to lean towards the stance of "suck it up" or " get it together"....or they ignore other peoples' feelings and view others' feelings as worthless...and only want people to listen to their practical advice. However all of this is fueled by hurt Fi so they're not actually being practical at that moment, they're acting out of cynicism and bitterness.

edit: also along with this steamrolling attitude and angered outbursts...afterwards they dont say sorry.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Either/or thinking without a great deal of forethought or reason. Hasty/bad decisions.

R

RDF

I'm an ISFP and I was wondering how having inferior Te can manifest itself?

I'm oversimplifying, but let me try to paint a picture here:

Introverted functions (Ni, Si, Fi, and Ti) pull a closed set of data down into an internal laboratory and work out the principles underlying them (using comparison, relations, juxtapositions, etc.)

Dominant Fi in particular works out internal systems of values. These Fi-Dom systems tend to be global and far-reaching, and they pertain to the self: self-identification, self-definition, etc.

Meantime, Inferior Te is outward-focused and looks at things on an ad-hoc basis or in isolation. That makes it kind of knee-jerk. Also Inferior Te is not about values; it's about orderliness and utility and organization.

What happens when the two get working together? You look at something in the outside world through Inferior Te: the thing is viewed as ad-hoc and sitting by itself, and it is judged on its orderliness. It seems out of order and bugs you, and suddenly you have strong feelings about it; Fi-Dom comes out and reacts to it.

The trouble is that Fi-Dom isn't supposed to work like that, i.e., it's not supposed to operate out in the world, on an ad-hoc basis, judging things like orderliness and utility and organization. So you get results like ranting about petty things that bug you, whining, irritability.

Inferior Te really doesn't allow you to get a big-picture view the way that Fi-Dom would prefer, so Fi-Dom reacts to small details in unpredictable ways. Sometimes Fi-Dom gets very worked up and obsessive about small stuff that doesn't bug other people; other times Fi-Dom withdraws and is cold to things that other people care about.

In other words, Inferior Te is running around fastening on small details here and there without getting a big-picture view, and it's causing Fi-Dom to misfire and do weird things because Fi-Dom values weren't set up to operate that way.

Ultimately, It would be better if we could use Ti instead of Te for our Inferior. Ti is more system-oriented and better at grasping an organizational system as a whole. Ti would be a good match for Fi, because they both are system-oriented.

But Ti is tough for IxFPs to develop. So the next best possibility is to use Inferior Te to monitor Fi-Dom directly. In other words, use Inferior Te to monitor Fi feelings and say, "That's not an appropriate feeling for this kind of thing. I'm going to ignore that feeling." The motto of Te is "Choose your battles carefully." Being ad-hoc in nature, Inferior Te can judge the situation and decide whether or not this is a good time to throw a hissy fit.

And then with time and maturity, the Auxiliary Se will fill in the gap and give Fi a stronger bridge to the outside world, one that is more oriented toward seing things as a system. That is, Se will take over for Inferior Te and help coordinate Fi-Dom with the outside world.

Something like that…

See this website for tips on how to tame your Fi and develop your Auxiliary Se: http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ISFP_per.html

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
its a wtf then a boom....

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime they get apathic and angry. They call it "go mode" which still just translates into apathetic. They laugh at peoples pain. They tend to lean towards the stance of "suck it up" or " get it together"....or they ignore other peoples' feelings and view others' feelings as worthless...and only want people to listen to their practical advice. However all of this is fueled by hurt Fi so they're not actually being practical at that moment, they're acting out of cynicism and bitterness.

edit: also along with this steamrolling attitude and angered outbursts...afterwards they dont say sorry.

Yeah, I do have a tendency when I'm angry to say a lot of mean things and not apologize after

hornet

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well if you are looking up something at wikipedia it isn't Se that compels you to check the facts now is it?
It shines trough in little ways like that.

Today I researched lye vs chlorine cause my INFP vetrinary flatmate insisted they where one and the same.
Turned out he was wrong.
He was confused by the word bleach and the fact that it was in Spanish vs English.
Still saved myself from a probable chem burn had I made a footbath of lye. xD
Now unfortunately chlorine is quite hard to get by in Spain for some weird reason.
In Norway every grocery store has lots of it in liquid form.

Sunny Ghost

Either/or thinking without a great deal of forethought or reason. Hasty/bad decisions.

It's more than that.

I do tend to think that Fi comes out as Te, especially the older I get. It's my stone cold poker face when I don't want to be read by others. It's also how I explain something to another when I'm being directive or informative. I've been accused of being cold and also of not easily read. It's also my need for order when the world becomes too frazzled. Or my need to take charge when I feel other's are not up to par, considering my natural reaction is not to lead.

I'd say only half of this is true. I can definitely have the mentality of "suck it up", but I don't think I've ever altogether ignored another person's feelings or viewed it as worthless. I also don't think it roots from hurt Fi. At least not in the case of IxFP's. I've tended to notice some differences between hurt IxFP's and hurt ExFP's.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's more than that.

I do tend to think that Fi comes out as Te, especially the older I get. It's my stone cold poker face when I don't want to be read by others. It's also how I explain something to another when I'm being directive or informative. I've been accused of being cold and also of not easily read. It's also my need for order when the world becomes too frazzled. Or my need to take charge when I feel other's are not up to par, considering my natural reaction is not to lead.

I'd say only half of this is true. I can definitely have the mentality of "suck it up", but I don't think I've ever altogether ignored another person's feelings or viewed it as worthless. I also don't think it roots from hurt Fi. At least not in the case of IxFP's. I've tended to notice some differences between hurt IxFP's and hurt ExFP's.

They may acknowledge others' feelings but they over rule them easily. Like if someone says "I don't want to get my driver's license cause I'm scared." Grip ISFP will tell you to get a handle on yourself...or treat your fears like they're nothing.

Fears in general they scoff at. This may be more of 9w8 ISFP thing

The E2 I know that's ISFP doesn't like when people are shy.

....even though she is pretty reserved..... <.< >.>

stuff like that.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I just feel colder and less compassionate when I use Te too much. I may say things I never thought I would say. :doh:

S

Stansmith

Stupidity (both yours, and that of others) offends you to a completely unnecessary degree, and only serves to remind you of your own inherently flawed existence.