• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Is my cousin ISTP or ISFP?

S

Stansmith

-He was usually mellow and reserved, but he'd have random moments where a 'spark' would go off and he'd start singing in the shower (loudly), goofing around, throwing rocks at things, giving his chihuaha footjobs, hauling ass on his motorcycle without a helmet (he lives in a south american country), etc. Whenever I was in the backseat, he'd pop wheelies every 3 seconds at full speed to scare the shit out of me.

-He was friends with practically everyone in the village and was pretty comfortable in social situations, but he wasn't chatty or obviously extroverted either. He usually just observed and teased a few people more often than not.

-I don't think I've ever seen him express any emotion besides indifference, anger (rarely) and excitement. He never complained about anything.

-He was an infamous womanizer, and was pretty ruthless at times. He wasn't some tacky, obvious PUA though.

-He used to get mad at his little brother for being selfish and making things hard on our grandmother, and even got into a couple brawls with him.

-Whenever I'd get whiny with my Fi around him, he just laughed, gave me quick advice or acted like it didn't happen. I never felt judged by him.

-He started to ignore this one friend of his after learning that he was getting into dice/gambling.

-He would set up his friends at school with girls he was already seeing/dating, and then he would swoop in, and put his arm around the girl smugly. I forget how he explained it, but it was something along those lines.

-We passed by a store one time and there was a crowd building up around some guy hitting his wife, and my cousin told me he was seriously considering swopping in and kicking the guy's ass. He looked furious when we first got a peek at it.

-He didn't have any problems with authority. He always made sure we'd get home for prayer on time and always got his errands done on time without much haste.

Eye of the Potato

-He was usually mellow and reserved, but he'd have random moments where a 'spark' would go off and he'd start singing in the shower (loudly), goofing around, throwing rocks at things, giving his chihuaha footjobs, hauling ass on his motorcycle without a helmet (he lives in a south american country), etc. Whenever I was in the backseat, he'd pop wheelies every 3 seconds at full speed to scare the shit out of me.

-He was friends with practically everyone in the village and was pretty comfortable in social situations, but he wasn't chatty or obviously extroverted either. He usually just observed and teased a few people more often than not.

-I don't think I've ever seen him express any emotion besides indifference, anger (rarely) and excitement. He never complained about anything.

-He was an infamous womanizer, and was pretty ruthless at times. He wasn't some tacky, obvious PUA though.

-He used to get mad at his little brother for being selfish and making things hard on our grandmother, and even got into a couple brawls with him.

-Whenever I'd get whiny with my Fi around him, he just laughed, gave me quick advice or acted like it didn't happen. I never felt judged by him.

-He started to ignore this one friend of his after learning that he was getting into dice/gambling.

-He would set up his friends at school with girls he was already seeing/dating, and then he would swoop in, and put his arm around the girl smugly. I forget how he explained it, but it was something along those lines.

-We passed by a store one time and there was a crowd building up around some guy hitting his wife, and my cousin told me he was seriously considering swopping in and kicking the guy's ass. He looked furious when we first got a peek at it.

-He didn't have any problems with authority. He always made sure we'd get home for prayer on time and always got his errands done on time without much haste.

Why would you even consider isfp for him?

Eye of the Potato

I can see why ISFP was put down. Rather, there's a slight leaning towards it too, over ISTP.

Really?

infamous womanizer, and was pretty ruthless at times

I don't think I've ever seen him express any emotion besides indifference, anger (rarely) and excitement.

teased a few people more often than not.

He always made sure we'd get home for prayer on time and always got his errands done on time without much haste.

Whenever I'd get whiny with my Fi around him, he just laughed, gave me quick advice or acted like it didn't happen.

He would set up his friends at school with girls he was already seeing/dating, and then he would swoop in, and put his arm around the girl smugly.

he'd pop wheelies every 3 seconds at full speed to scare the shit out of me.

Compare these behaviours with the behaviours of an isfp. Or do you actually mean isfj? Everybody seems to have a different idea about how they define an isfp or an isfj.

isfp

They are likely to be kind, gentle and sensitive in their dealings with others.

ISFP personalities also tend to be very sensitive to other people’s feelings

While they are quiet and reserved, they are also known for being peaceful, caring and considerate

ISFPs prefer to take a supportive role and are rarely assertive or demanding of attention.

In college, likely to report low levels of assertiveness

disorganized, timid, prone to discouragement, socially uncomfortable, does not like leadership, suggestible, not self confident, not aggressive, lower energy, fearful, anxious, easily distracted, prone to discontentment, guarded, not confrontational, prone to longing for a stabilizing relationship, can be overwhelmed by unpleasant feelings, easily disturbed, fears drawing attention to self, prone to confusion, private, second guesses self, prone to quitting, underachiever, fears rejection in relationships, emotionally moody, prone to sadness, dislikes change, indecisive, modest, doubting, prone to laziness

isfj

ISFJs live in a world that is concrete and kind. They are truly warm and kind-hearted

More so than other types, ISFJs are extremely aware of their own internal feelings, as well as other people's feelings. They do not usually express their own feelings, keeping things inside.

the ISFJ will faithfully and tirelessly carry through the task to completion

The ISFJ feels a strong sense of responsibility and duty. They take their responsibilities very seriously, and can be counted on to follow through

they tend to place other people's needs over their own.

They have strong feelings of inadequacy

follows the rules, polite, fears drawing attention to self, dislikes competition, somewhat easily frightened, easily offended, timid, dutiful, private, lower energy, finisher, organized, socially uncomfortable, modest, not confrontational, easily hurt, observer, prone to crying, not spontaneous, does not appreciate strangeness - intolerant to differences, apprehensive, clean, planner, prone to confusion, afraid of many things, responsible, guarded, avoidant, anxious, cautious, suspicious, more interested in relationships and family than intellectual pursuits, not adventurous, fears doing the wrong thing, dislikes change

Now. Can you please explain to me how this person's behaviour matches up with the isfp (isfj?) personality?

Sunny Ghost

Immature Fi get's a laugh from others to feel better sometimes.

Male ISFP's can sometimes seem more ISTP. I'd say it's hard to tell from this list, though I'd lean towards ISTP due to the range of emotions that he has shown.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ISTP. Seems like he displays Fe, but within the narrow range of emotions acceptable for a male. ISFP's have a gentleness and poetic demeanor. They can suppress their emotions and act aggressive, but it's an unstable thing. Ti dominants don't really have any trouble being unemotional most of the time. A difference between Ti dominance and inferior Te is that with the first detachment is the default mode, and with the second it seems kind of forced, like they're trying to hold everything together and put on a facade of toughness. He seems like he's just a detached kind of person, but is pretty connected with his Fe, so likely not a strong T preference. My ISTP friend is the same way. I suspected he was a feeler at first because he has his feeling function so developed, but it became clear that it is not his default mode.

One way I've been able to tell with my two ISFP friends is that they display a distinct lack of Ti, and if you look closely a preference for Te. When figuring things out they will rely on concrete sensory observations (Se), but all the rationality (a+b-->c which -->d, etc.) goes in with value and preference (Fi). You can't extract an impersonal, objective, logical argument which is able to be formalized. Instead they use Te to decide what among the many facts they know is true, then put them together in a way which makes sense and also seems consistent with reality. They are decisive about things in the world, like what to do and how to do it. They can be efficient and put together actions and outcomes, but not as naturally as an INTJ. ISTP on the other hand has a narrow scope of problem solving. Ti is intensive and Te is extensive. Ti will focus on one of a set of problems, solve it, and then move on to the next until everything looks like Ni wants it to. They look at all the facts relating to an issue and draw logical and impersonal conclusions about it. They are good at building things and taking things apart because they understand in detail how everything is put together. ISFP's do this on an emotional level.