• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How can I put myself in crisis mode at will?

badger055

Permabanned
I know that ISTPs and other Se types go into "the zone" when in a crisis. For me this is about the only time I am focused enough to accomplish my goals. If I'm not in the zone it's very difficult for me to put my mind to anything for long. Being too happy and comfortable is a curse to me.

Times I have gone into the zone:
-working a dead end depressing job
-after a rough break up
-losing my main income stream

I always come out of the zone after I get too comfortable again and then I'm stuck in apathy mode. Any ideas for this? Besides stabbing myself in the leg.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you ehm...remember the flow and the joy you felt going there, and find out by tinkering with it how you can activate it. It would take time, like a muscle, to build up, but it should be feasible :)

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Move. That's what I just did. Got too comfortable in my other apartment, it was scaring me. So I moved closer to downtown. Now I don't have any friends or anything down here so I'm gonna have to figure something out.

baccheion

Learn NLP. Then use anchors and triggers. Get yourself into that state, then anchor it. Then get yourself into that state, then anchor it again. Then keep doing it until you can trigger it. If it's not working, then find some NLP practitioner that can help you.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being evaluated for adhd is a good start, to rule that out as a cause (or treat it).

badger055

Permabanned
Learn NLP. Then use anchors and triggers. Get yourself into that state, then anchor it. Then get yourself into that state, then anchor it again. Then keep doing it until you can trigger it. If it's not working, then find some NLP practitioner that can help you.

I thought about this but I can't use memories to simply go into the state. It's not like triggering a simple emotional reaction to something. I have to think I'm actually going into a crisis and my subconscious is not stupid. I can't trigger something I can't feel in the first place.

McCool

MBTI Type
ISTP
Awesome post .... but HOW does "working a dead end depressing job" get you into crisis mode.... the break up and being broke are definite catalyst....The truth is you have to do the "hardest things" and that's the things you don't want to do.... I'm going to repeat it again because it's the truth..... DO THE THINGS YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO BUT KNOW YOU NEED TO.... I'm preaching because I know but I'm still in the same spot you are:dry:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Give a trusted friend a check for $500 - or some amount of money high enough to cause you pain. Tell them if you don't do X by a certain date, they can cash the check and the money is their's. If you finish it, you get the check back.

Eye of the Potato

Maybe become a fireman or a medic or something like that. Some job where you have to deal with a crisis?

MBTI Type
Mann
I know that ISTPs and other Se types go into "the zone" when in a crisis. For me this is about the only time I am focused enough to accomplish my goals. If I'm not in the zone it's very difficult for me to put my mind to anything for long. Being too happy and comfortable is a curse to me.

Times I have gone into the zone:
-working a dead end depressing job
-after a rough break up
-losing my main income stream

I always come out of the zone after I get too comfortable again and then I'm stuck in apathy mode. Any ideas for this? Besides stabbing myself in the leg.
I joined the military for that.

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
Interesting, the times when I go into my crisis mode are
When someone is in a situation that I would spring into action if they wanted me to, but I know it is a decision they need room to make on their own
When things I thought would never happen in this lifetime happen
When I turn on the TV just to find a psychologically oppressive variety where the same things are on so many times in one day that it's just sad, I get some good work done on those days
When hearing about the economy and other prolonged things

R

RDF

I know that ISTPs and other Se types go into "the zone" when in a crisis. For me this is about the only time I am focused enough to accomplish my goals. If I'm not in the zone it's very difficult for me to put my mind to anything for long. Being too happy and comfortable is a curse to me. […]

My ISTP father was a stockbroker, and he needed to stay more or less high-energy all the time. So he kept a bag of candy in his desk and got himself a little sugar high whenever he needed a boost. He ended up with diabetes in his old age, but it didn't kill him, so I guess it was all for the good.

A better answer, though:

You're not really supposed to be in crisis mode much, except in times of genuine crisis. Crisis states, ecstatic or manic moods, etc. should only be indulged in limited amounts. The adrenaline and other chemicals associated with such states will burn you out or injure you over the long term.

Instead of functioning in crisis mode all the time, it's better to work on your organizational and time management skills (Te skills). Get used to being productive even when not in crisis mode. Go slow, break things down into small 5- or 10-minute bursts of work, and take small breaks in between. Get used to maintaining a slow-but-steady pace.

Look up Julie Morgenstern at Amazon.com. She has written some good books on time management and organization. Learn the principles and start applying them in your life.

baccheion

Being productive and doing things is about making them easy (since you are a perceiver). Make the task easy to do (just use Ti to sort it out), and you'll eventually fly through it. Other people can trigger me into action mode. Like, hanging around judgers that I actually like gets me going (something that piques my interest does as well) if I'm stuck in a rut, and I just hold on to the momentum, because I know it's fleeting. All along the way I just keep making these easy and approachable to do, and I start doing them.

There is nothing wrong with taking another approach to doing things. The guardian way doesn't work for everyone.

There are also supplements you can take (every other day) that helps with motivation, etc. Pramiracetam and noopept together is a good one. Research nootropics. Also, some people react very well to brainwave entrainment (listening to audio set to a specific frequency to harmonize your internal brain rhythm). You can research that as well. I use a program called Neuro-Programmer 3. When I try it I am able to focus (when I normally wouldn't) effortlessly and just do things.

Also, amping yourself up can work. When you feel lazy or stuck just start jumping around while yelling and going crazy and that should get the blood pumping.