• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Ask an ESFP!

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know, I'm just new here, but in my introduction post thingy I read that there is some serious lack of ESFPs around here. So if you have a question you think only an ESFP can answer, just ask me and I'll try to answer it!

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What is your perspective on the value of MBTI and typology?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I'm a third year psychology student and MBTI and typology weren't discussed in any of my classes, so I guess it doesn't have that much value according to scientists. But personality is a vague concept and I don't think it's possible to reduce everyone's personality entirely to some traits and numbers, but if you can help someone while trying, who am I to judge? Psychologists tend to use the Big Five because apparently it's more scientific, but it's easier to categorize people with the MBTI, because MBTI creates types which kind of oversimplify people's personalities. So I think MBTI probably isn't the most accurate way to measure personality (but then again, I think it's impossible to measure every single part of one's personality).

Then again it's an easy instrument to help people with BECAUSE it oversimplifies personalities. When people get typed with MBTI, their actually 'unique' personality gets linked with the personalities of people who are pretty much like them; people with the same MBTI type. And while they might not be exactly the same as other people with their type, others with the same type might be similar enough to create guidelines for difficult life decisions. I don't think I've come across many articles and websites which give career advice and advice to handle difficult situations based on the Big Five, while the internet is loaded with these advices based on MBTI. I also haven't seen any website especially for people with the same Big Five personality, I mean, could you imagine a forum called 'Low Extraversion, High Neuroticism, High Conscientiousness, Medium Agreeableness, Low Openness United'?. Well, MBTI does have these 'support groups' where people can help and get advice from like-minded people. Same with when you're having a conflict with someone: if you know them well enough, you can figure out their MBTI type and find plenty of websites telling you how to handle conflicts with people with exactly this MBTI type. Can't say the same about the Big Five.

I think I have to come to the conclusion that while MBTI might not be all that accurate, it seems like people are passionate enough about it to find a proper use for it. The Big Five might be seen as scientifically superior, but while the users of this theory aren't that fanatic that they'd invent ways to make it practical for everyday use by non-scientists and non-psychologists, MBTI still has some value in this world.

I hope this makes sense.

baccheion

I don't see why the Big Five is held in such high regard. It doesn't seem any more "correct" than MBTI. Either way, as long as the system is not misused or misused as another way to categorize, bucket, judge, and develop a prejudice against a group of people (which is exactly what they do with it in the business world-- we won't hire you because you're the wrong type, we are going to put these people to work together because they supposedly have compatible types, this is clearly the role you should take on because you have X type, you are not well-suited for this role because you have the wrong type), then I don't care. I've learnt a lot from typology in general, and I'm sure there's a lot more insightful information in all the writings and descriptions.

1. Do you know the types of anyone you've been in a relationship with?
  2. What type of person do you get along best with?
  3. Do you fall in love easily?
  4. What is love like for you?
  5. ESFPs aren't commonly online. What brought you online, and what keeps your here?
  6. Are you a big facebook/social media user?
  7. Do you prefer to have a wide circle of friends or a small one?
  8. How closely does the ESFP description fit your personality?
  9. How did you decide that you were an ESFp?
  10. Do you like getting into the theories while studying psychology, or are you usually attracted to something else?
  11. What drew you to that major?
  12. Do you enjoy going to school, or is it just something you have to do?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17495]CapLawyer[/MENTION]

Do you know the types of anyone you've been in a relationship with?
Haven't really thought about typing those people. I think if I had to type them, I would type them as ISFJ, INTP, ENFP and ESFP.

What type of person do you get along best with?
I tend to like all types of people, but I do notice that I have more difficulty getting along with conservative people and people who are very much into spirituality. Then it also depends on what kind of relationship we have. I might be getting along with control freaks in my daily life, but I can't stand working for them. I guess that goes for many types of people: great to get along with in private, but terrible work partners and vice versa. I also can't stand people who are secretive, because I always want to know everything about everybody.

Do you fall in love easily?
I don't fall in love very often, but when I do, it goes really fast. I can be completely uninterested one moment, then something inside me gets triggered and before I know it I'm totally infatuated. I think in the past nine years I probably spent less than a year in total not being in love and I think the majority of that time was spent being lovesick. Once I'm actually over someone, you can count on it that I will fall for someone else within a month. I don't know if that means I'm easy when it comes to falling in love.

What is love like for you?
Wanting to be there for someone, taking care of them no matter what and missing them when they're gone.

ESFPs aren't commonly online. What brought you online, and what keeps your here?
The exact story of how I came here is quite long. So I'm a psychology student and a few months ago I had this bullshit class. In that class we had to sit down in a circle for six hours, five weeks in a row, talking about our problems. Now I happen to be one of the few people I know who doesn't have many problems and if I do have them, I like to solve these problems instead of talking about them endlessly (or if they're unsolvable, just get over it, because why dwell over something that I can't change?). Meanwhile my teacher insisted that I must have problems that I should talk about, so he tried to search a problem behind everything I said. This was quite depressing and I always ended up having a bad mood after these classes. After the last class, we had to write an essay about our experience and I wrote about how depressing it was to me and how much it affected my mood. The next week I received a response from our teacher and he then accused me of having no self knowledge. So ever since I'm trying to get to know myself better and to make sure that my teacher is wrong about me having no self knowledge. Then I came across MBTI.
What keeps me here is professional interests on one hand. MBTI didn't even get mentioned in any of my courses and when apparently it's been kind of ridiculed by 'serious' psychologists and scientists, but yet this (pseudo-)psychological subject seemed to appeal so many 'normal' people. I thought it might be useful to get to know more about it and see what draws people to it. I know it might be against the stereotype of the ESFP, but one day I'd like to be one of the best psychologists on the market and I think there's a possibility that this could help me a bit with that.
On the other hand, it's summer, everybody's gone or working on their thesis in the library, it's too hot outside to do anything and I'm actually kind of bored.

Are you a big facebook/social media user?
YES. Big time. And I HATE it when people remind me of that when I want about something I did or what I've been through and they cut of my story with "Oh yeah. I know. I saw it. On Facebook.". That's just so rude.

Do you prefer to have a wide circle of friends or a small one?
Wide, definitely. I notice that when I just hang out with one small group of people all the time, I just get annoyed with them at one point and then I need to find other people to hang out with. So it's more like I have many different circles of friend, sometimes with some overlap. I guess that makes most of my friendships kind of shallow compared to other people's friendships, but it's just what suits me best.

How closely does the ESFP description fit your personality?
I couldn't find many things in the ESFP descriptions I read that didn't fit me. If I had to name them, it would be that I'm not good at sports, I don't have difficulty working alone (probably has to do with my upbringing) and I do have long-term goals (I just always seem to forget them somewhere along the road).

How did you decide that you were an ESFp?
I did multiple tests and they all said the same, except for one that said I was an ESTP.

Do you like getting into the theories while studying psychology, or are you usually attracted to something else?
Well, most of the time I'm busy doing things and living the moment. I don't mind if I have to get into the theories if I think they have some practical use, but once it gets too theoretical I'm definitely having a hard time with it. I also hate it when I have to get into theories that don't seem useful to me (like philosophy). But I think up to this point I've spent more time doing things on the side (like internships, organizing activities, gathering sponsors for activities, making sure our paper runs properly) than actually studying, unlike most students.

What drew you to that major?
Let's say I got in trouble a lot when I was in high school, up to the point where I was sent to various psychologists because of my behavior. I also got diagnosed with ADHD. But I saw what a mess most of these psychologists made of their work and I was like: 'I can do this way better'. So I chose this major and hopefully one day I can prove that I can actually can do this way better. I just want to be the best. Sometimes I watch documentaries about people with mysterious diseases and whenever someone with a strange mental illness comes on, I try to guess what's wrong with that person. Every time they reveal that I had the right diagnosis in mind, it just gives me such a kick. A few days ago I diagnosed a little girl with a rare chromosome deletion, who apparently didn't get any help for months by anybody. It must have looked so odd when I was almost cheering when the people on TV named the exact chromosome deletion I had in mind. What made me even more proud, was that this chromosome deletion wasn't discussed in any of my classes. Geeky, I know, but I just want to be the best.

Do you enjoy going to school, or is it just something you have to do?
I'm not going to lie, actually going to school is something I have to do. However, like I said, I still want to be one of the best psychologists the market has to offer. I know from my own experience with psychologists (and looking at my fellow students, who often can't even spell) that there are many fuckers out there in the business who can't even distinguish brains from a packet of goat cheese, but I'd still like to do my best. Therefore, school is essential, but so is broadening my world. But enjoyment is a big word.

W

WALMART

What is your current understanding of the function extraverted sensation, Se?

What makes you believe you are a feeler over a thinker?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh dear, this feels kind of like a trivia test! Oh well.
[MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION]
What is your current understanding of the function extraverted sensation, Se?
I'm probably very knew to this subject compared to the rest of the people on this forum and I haven't got very deep into the theory behind MBTI. As far as I've understood it has something to do with being aware of the physical world around you and being drawn to physical experiences.

What makes you believe you are a feeler over a thinker?
I did many tests and they all said I'm an ESFP, except for one that said I was an ESTP. Also, I recently got confronted with the fact that somehow I take over other people's emotions very easily. A few weeks ago my aunt started crying and for some reason that made me cry too, even though we're not that close. I think that trait suits feelers better than thinkers.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do you feel about common ESFP stereotypes such as being a party animal?

What fictional/famous ESFPs do you feel a connection with?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]

How do you feel about common ESFP stereotypes such as being a party animal?
I don't mind the party animal stereotype! I think that's a good thing! And most of the time I also really enjoy parties, so this one isn't that far-fetched.
But as far as I know ESFPs also have some sort of promiscuous bimbo reputation. I don't have anything against promiscuous people and when I was younger I also wanted to be more promiscuous, but I don't feel like that applies to me. Sure, whenever I'm single and not lovesick, I've been accused of excessive flirting and 'horny behavior'. But once I already have feelings for someone, which is at least 90% of the time, I'm probably the most faithful and monogamous person you could ever get.

I don't know! Every website names a different list of ESFPs and most famous ESFPs have different types everywhere. Oh well, if I had to choose, I'd go for Homer Simpson. Everybody wants to be Homer Simpson. Or Peggy Bundy, if it weren't just for her hair.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know! Every website names a different list of ESFPs and most famous ESFPs have different types everywhere. Oh well, if I had to choose, I'd go for Homer Simpson. Everybody wants to be Homer Simpson. Or Peggy Bundy, if it weren't just for her hair.

Interesting! I never looked at The Simpsons from an MBTI perspective. What about Joey from Friends or Ash Ketchum from Pokemon? I think they're pretty obvious ESFPs.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you feel about highly metaphysical subjects, like cosmology and the nature of creation? (I ask because Se seems very much into externals, so getting your perspective rather than the uber-esoteric ones on big questions should be interesting).

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION]
Interesting! I never looked at The Simpsons from an MBTI perspective. What about Joey from Friends or Ash Ketchum from Pokemon? I think they're pretty obvious ESFPs.

Ouch... Call me a philistine, but I've only watched one episode of Friends in my entire life and I decided that it wasn't my cup of tea, so I have no clue. Same with Pokémon, my parents never let me watch it as a kid. I actually don't watch TV a lot, I'd rather do something.

[MENTION=15371]Poimandres[/MENTION]
How do you feel about highly metaphysical subjects, like cosmology and the nature of creation? (I ask because Se seems very much into externals, so getting your perspective rather than the uber-esoteric ones on big questions should be interesting).

I'm sorry, I don't really care about metaphysical things. These subjects are complicated and pretty irrelevant in my daily life, so getting all the way into it would be a waste of time. I'll leave worrying about metaphysics to people who have some sort of expertise on that subject.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you involved in art or performance of any kind?

What is a behavior you strongly dislike in others?

What's your favorite movie/musical artist?

:) Thanks for opening up to questions like this!

Mole

Permabanned
What would you like to offer an introvert like Mole?

A

A_priori

Well, I'm a third year psychology student and MBTI and typology weren't discussed in any of my classes, so I guess it doesn't have that much value according to scientists. But personality is a vague concept and I don't think it's possible to reduce everyone's personality entirely to some traits and numbers, but if you can help someone while trying, who am I to judge? Psychologists tend to use the Big Five because apparently it's more scientific, but it's easier to categorize people with the MBTI, because MBTI creates types which kind of oversimplify people's personalities. So I think MBTI probably isn't the most accurate way to measure personality (but then again, I think it's impossible to measure every single part of one's personality).

Then again it's an easy instrument to help people with BECAUSE it oversimplifies personalities. When people get typed with MBTI, their actually 'unique' personality gets linked with the personalities of people who are pretty much like them; people with the same MBTI type. And while they might not be exactly the same as other people with their type, others with the same type might be similar enough to create guidelines for difficult life decisions. I don't think I've come across many articles and websites which give career advice and advice to handle difficult situations based on the Big Five, while the internet is loaded with these advices based on MBTI. I also haven't seen any website especially for people with the same Big Five personality, I mean, could you imagine a forum called 'Low Extraversion, High Neuroticism, High Conscientiousness, Medium Agreeableness, Low Openness United'?. Well, MBTI does have these 'support groups' where people can help and get advice from like-minded people. Same with when you're having a conflict with someone: if you know them well enough, you can figure out their MBTI type and find plenty of websites telling you how to handle conflicts with people with exactly this MBTI type. Can't say the same about the Big Five.

I think I have to come to the conclusion that while MBTI might not be all that accurate, it seems like people are passionate enough about it to find a proper use for it. The Big Five might be seen as scientifically superior, but while the users of this theory aren't that fanatic that they'd invent ways to make it practical for everyday use by non-scientists and non-psychologists, MBTI still has some value in this world.

I hope this makes sense.

Well said, people hang on the MBTI like its tried tested and true. Even the big 5 isn't the best measure of personality. The problem is the word personality in itself isn't even well defined. Tests like these are used in attempts to try and classify ones character into 4 little categories which are highly over generalized in my opinion. Never the less, I do enjoy the idea of typing people but at some point you have to look at the other side of the coin and say to yourself, does this test really make sense?

For starters if you look at most any behavioural therapies like CBT and REBT they teach that feelings shadow are thoughts which to me makes perfect sense because how can one formulate a feeling without a thought first. So does this mean that we are all Ts by design? On the other side of the coin, one could say well some people prefer feeling or rely on it over thinking. Then you would have to make the argument that feeling and thinking are a choice etc.. Both valid arguments but this demands many other arguments and on it goes until your majoring in philosophy.. Don't even get me started on the other letters!! Lol

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION]

Are you involved in art or performance of any kind?
Yes! I love almost all types of creative expression! I love drawing, painting, drama, everything! I also like dancing, but more on the dance floor than the type where you have to memorize all the movements. The memorizing kind is a bit boring to me.

What is a behavior you strongly dislike in others?
I hate it when people are trying to control me, I've always hated that. Something I noticed with my fellow students is that most of them tend to be really unrealistic and trying to get to live up to unrealistic ideals and I can't stand that either. I just find it stupid when people don't have enough sense of reality to realize that their plans just aren't going to work out properly. I hate it when people are being negative and pessimistic when there's absolutely no need to and I also hate secretive behavior.

What's your favorite movie/musical artist?
I don't have one specific favorite movie. I always had a wide range of movies that I liked. I love all the movies I've seen from Quentin Tarantino, but I also love silly comedies. This Monday I visited Despicable Me 2 and I enjoyed every second of it. I must admit that I'm not really into deep, sad dramas, overly sweet romance movies and other types of tear jerkers, because I hate crying.

[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION]

What would you like to offer an introvert like Mole?
What would you like me to offer you? Can't just make up something out of nothing.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION]
Almost forgot about the music part! When it comes to music I generally like upbeat music that's easy to dance to. Nothing deep, just pop and dance, mainly. If you'd ask others, I think most people would say my taste in music is very bad, but then again I find most 'good music' a bit depressing.

S

Stansmith

What type of things do you usually think about when you let your mind wander?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ ooo good one

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]

What type of things do you usually think about when you let your mind wander?

Activities that I've planned, things I still have to do, things I would like to do, what's going on in the lives of other people, things people did or said and what could be behind that, how to solve problems with other people if there are problems that need to be solved. You know, basic stuff about activities, people and problem solving. Nothing complicated like the meaning of life or anything. Sounds quite dull, doesn't it? :alttongue:
Okay, now and then I think about what I want to do with my life too, but most of the time that's whenever something goes wrong in my life.