• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Ask an ESFP!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay haha

was sorta being jokey anyway

the esfj's from my observation anyway would sort of seem to be organizing or helping host or facilitating conversations or meetings with other people. sort of like the party coordinator

they might seem "out there" and funny at times...maybe telling a story to a group etc but less of a party animal or center of attention...less of a performer

what type of parties do you go to? that might help.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
okay haha

was sorta being jokey anyway

the esfj's from my observation anyway would sort of seem to be organizing or helping host or facilitating conversations or meetings with other people. sort of like the party coordinator

they might seem "out there" and funny at times...maybe telling a story to a group etc but less of a party animal or center of attention...less of a performer

what type of parties do you go to? that might help.
I thought you were describing an ESFP. I guess I always make the mistake then. So how would the ESFP be in that particular scenario?

I would go to the type where I would have to invite myself. Like meetup.com which is usually social settings like at bars/clubs. Not really my thing, but I figure if I want to meet an ESFP face to face I will have to push myself into that scenario.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well i'm no expert with esfps but i imagine they're more similar to me and esfjs are more similar to enfj

and from what i've noticed at parties the esfj is like what i described above and i'm thinking the esfp would be more just hanging out being social with everyone but like in a whoohoo party mode than a facilitator type role.

maybe op person will come back soon and be more help. she's on a bit of a hiatus.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is your current understanding of the function extraverted sensation, Se?

That's kind of a vague question, but it's my understanding that it mainly just means taking in information using my five senses in the immediate moment.

What makes you believe you are a feeler over a thinker?

I'm mad emo, yo. I mean, my feelings are always on the surface or right under the surface. I can't fathom having a reason to live if I didn't have emotional connections with people. And I'm highly illogical. And I'm fine with that. I cry at movies, soap operas, long distance dedication letters, hell sometimes an important home run or touchdown in a sports event.

In short, I'm about as F''d up as one can be. :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
How do you feel about common ESFP stereotypes such as being a party animal?

I actually think ESFJs go to more parties than ESFPs do. It's just the ESFPs are the ones that get talked about the next day because they did something more memorable. ;)

I'd say that stereotypes exist for a reason, so obviously many of them will be true about many ESFPs but as long as one remembers that nothing is true across the board and people are all individuals then it's not really a big deal. When it comes to parties, I like the ones where something fun is taking place, so like playing games or watching a game/movies/etc. Or dancing or whatever like that. If it's just people standing around drinking and talking, I can skip those, that gets boring quick.

What fictional/famous ESFPs do you feel a connection with?

Tina Roberts - One Life To Live
David Vickers - One Life To Live
Longfellow Deeds - Mr. Deeds (might be an ISFP)
Rayanne Graff - My So-Called Life
Frank Pembleton - Homicide: Life on the Street (might be an ISFP)
Marty Saybrooke - One Life To Live
Kelly Cramer - One Life To Live
Hayley Vaughn - All My Children
Michelangelo - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Lynn Minmei - Robotech
Dana Sterling - Robotech
Annie LaBelle - Robotech

Charlie Sheen
Gracie Allen
Cyndi Lauper
Flavor Flav
Josh Hamilton
Magic Johnson
Michael J. Fox
Tracy Morgan
Jim Breuer
Jodie Sweetin
Will Ferrell
Adam Sandler (might be ISFP)
Lance Berkman
Steve White
Damon Wayans
Pink (might be ESTP)
JennaMarbles (might be ESTP)
Red Skelton
David Canary

Yeah, I'm aware for the fictional ones, that's more females than males, but I guess that's not too surprising since there are more ESFP females statistically. The ESFP perspective is represented in fiction more by females except for the kind of stock "frat boy drunkard" character which I don't relate to.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If it's just people standing around drinking and talking, I can skip those, that gets boring quick.

Those tend to be the parties I like. Size is a big issue, also. I don't like too big. Conversations tend to stop in big parties before they get interesting. It ends up being all small talk, because everyone is always flitting over to the other 5000 people after 5 minutes.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh well, if I had to choose, I'd go for Homer Simpson. Everybody wants to be Homer Simpson. Or Peggy Bundy, if it weren't just for her hair.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Homer. Add Homer to my list. :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
How do you feel about highly metaphysical subjects, like cosmology and the nature of creation? (I ask because Se seems very much into externals, so getting your perspective rather than the uber-esoteric ones on big questions should be interesting).

I think about some of this stuff. You can watch my "Faith and Type" series on my Youtube channel and see some discussion of such things. It's definitely a minority of my time that I think about stuff like that though. And my general philosophy is that it doesn't really matter how we all got here, it only matters what we do with our time now. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you involved in art or performance of any kind?

In a sense, my whole life is a performance. :cool:

I'm on a rec league softball team, I make Youtube videos, I write lyrics and song parodies, I'm working on an audio drama show, I haven't been acting in theatre lately but I have a bunch in the past and want to again.

What is a behavior you strongly dislike in others?

Judging/bashing people/gossip type stuff.

What's your favorite movie/musical artist?

Hard to pick just one in both of those categories, but if I absolutely had to I'd say "Finding Nemo" and Jars of Clay.

:) Thanks for opening up to questions like this!

You're welcome. :)

S

Stansmith

When you read a book or analyze any work of art, do you take things in literally, or do you get a 'sense' of whats beneath all of it (even if you can't articulate it)? Is a chair always a chair?

NKC

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know this esfp that poses really weird in every photo! I swear, it's the male version of duck face (sexy pout face fail) and I've been wanting to say something. I work in a gym so whenever there's pics done at work, (he's a co-worker) it's just a little ridiculous. There's this guy looking like he's been spit right out of the sopranos with this bad ass look on his face, all muscles and bald. I just laugh and have to bite my lip because he thinks he looks sexy and everything. I'm not the only one who sees it. I caught other girls snickering about him the other day. And now I feel bad. I really wish I knew how to tell him he looks ridiculous. But I don't want to hurt his feelings. But I'll hurt more if he ever finds that most of the girls in the gym think he's a total dork, all pout face and everything. Other than this he's really a nice person, very sweet and respectful whenever he speaks with me. I don't know him all that well but he has a good work ethic. I just hate that he's so silly in pics, lol! I don't like hearing people gossip!

Ugh. I work in the weirdest place everrrrrr ...

So should I say something to him? Or leave it be?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What type of things do you usually think about when you let your mind wander?

Lately I've been imagining myself as a teenage girl.

How do you feel about Keirsey? Do you relate to how he describes the SP temperament, and how he describes the ESFP Performer?

Keirsey was an extremely wise man who made a lot of very useful observations about people, and rose above my general distaste for psychologists to demonstrate an awful lot of actual useful knowledge. Yes, I relate to almost all of the SP temperament description and that of the ESFP. The only exceptions are those specific lifestyle things that I don't do, but even those I can see the motivations behind them, even if I'm not involved in the specific action.

What would you like to offer an introvert like Mole?

I offer everyone the same thing, my entertaining awesometasticness. :)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If the moon were made of spareribs, and you were hungry, would you eat it?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION]
How would one identify an ESFP from the ESFJ in the crowd at a party?
ESFPs are the ones dancing (or telling people they're bored, that's usually me), ESFJs are the ones chatting (most of the time about their or other people's problems).

[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]
When you read a book or analyze any work of art, do you take things in literally, or do you get a 'sense' of whats beneath all of it (even if you can't articulate it)? Is a chair always a chair?
I prefer taking things literally, but some people don't, so I guess I have to adapt to it sometimes. Idk, I think it goes quite naturally, except when people are being all über deep, in that case I tend to zone out, because it's boring.

[MENTION=20059]NKC[/MENTION]
I know this esfp that poses really weird in every photo! I swear, it's the male version of duck face (sexy pout face fail) and I've been wanting to say something. I work in a gym so whenever there's pics done at work, (he's a co-worker) it's just a little ridiculous. There's this guy looking like he's been spit right out of the sopranos with this bad ass look on his face, all muscles and bald. I just laugh and have to bite my lip because he thinks he looks sexy and everything. I'm not the only one who sees it. I caught other girls snickering about him the other day. And now I feel bad. I really wish I knew how to tell him he looks ridiculous. But I don't want to hurt his feelings. But I'll hurt more if he ever finds that most of the girls in the gym think he's a total dork, all pout face and everything. Other than this he's really a nice person, very sweet and respectful whenever he speaks with me. I don't know him all that well but he has a good work ethic. I just hate that he's so silly in pics, lol! I don't like hearing people gossip!
Ugh. I work in the weirdest place everrrrrr ...
So should I say something to him? Or leave it be?

I think I know that face, I usually call it the 'Justin Bieber'. But I'd let it be. I mean, it's good entertainment, right?

[MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION]
If the moon were made of spareribs, and you were hungry, would you eat it?
Definitely. I love me some spareribs.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20044]chubber[/MENTION]
How would one identify an ESFP from the ESFJ in the crowd at a party?
ESFPs are the ones dancing (or telling people they're bored, that's usually me), ESFJs are the ones chatting (most of the time about their or other people's problems).

[MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION]
Are you happy or unhappy when you are bored? What happens during the time when you are bored? Do you go away from the party or do you wait for something to happen. Or anything else?

[MENTION=19503]Comeback Girl[/MENTION]
Are you happy or unhappy when you are bored? What happens during the time when you are bored? Do you go away from the party or do you wait for something to happen. Or anything else?

How can anyone be happy when they're bored? This is a bizarre concept to me. :shock:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Jodie Sweetin
Pink (might be ESTP)
JennaMarbles (might be ESTP)

I think Jenna is ESTP. :yes: But I actually have not thought about Jodie Sweetin's personality at all! Why do you feel a connection with her and Pink?

Oh, and another question for both of you: what do you think of ESTPs in general? What parts of them do you relate to and what parts do you not? (This may or may not have been asked before)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
When you think about the things you are going to do, how do you think about it? Do you imagine yourself doing it, anticipate how you will feel, try to predict the future, plan, etc.?

I spend very little time thinking about the future really. I mean, if there's a football game or something coming up that I'm anticipating, I will sometimes imagine scenarios that could happen in the game in my head, but not usually for more than a few minutes. Overall, I just let life happen without too much anticipation one way or the other. If I start to anticipate something too much, it becomes like an obligation and then I don't want to do it any more.

Do you think there are any ESFP philosophers?

Um...Bill & Ted maybe? "Be excellent to each other....Party on dude!" That's philosophy right? :D

How could an ESFP and an INTP possibly have anything to talk about? From what I've seen online, it's not as uncommon a combination as one might expect.

Well, my INTP brother and I have found some things to talk about over the years. Many times it's computer or video game related stuff. He will often be willing to listen to me ramble on about whatever I'm interested in even though he doesn't care a whole lot about it just because he knows I like to talk and he seems to enjoy spending time with me every once in a while. Sometimes we'll watch the same movies and we can talk about those.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
*has been waiting for this moment for about 2-3 yrs*

*strategizes about how to extract as much information as possible before the ESFP flutters away*

As our opposites/shadow/anima, INTJs are often both repulsed by and oddly drawn to ESFPs; I've heard enough INTJs say this to know that's it's true (and Jungian theory would imply as much); we've never really had enough ESFPs on here to ask that question to, but my intuition is that I'm not sure the relationship is completely symmetrical... do you find that ESFPs experience a similar such dynamic?

*remembers that, oddly/coincidentally, he was thinking about starting a series of threads about this topic (one for each shadow pairing) this morning*

Man, you sure put a lot of code stuff into your posts. It makes me lose the question in all that mess. But anyway, I don't know what you mean by a symmetrical relationship really, but I have not usually been repulsed by or oddly drawn to INTJs. My father is an INTJ so I suppose that casts a very large "shadow" over the type to me. But I have known others who were very different than my dad so I don't have some set archetype in mind for INTJs.

Are you generous? Do you like sport? What are your 5/10 favourites movies? What are your 5/10 favourites famous people? What's your Zodiac sign? (sun, rising sign, planets etc)

Yes, I am generous. If I actually kept a tally, pretty much everyone in my office would owe me a ton of money. But I don't. Because I like giving people things and taking people out to lunch and movies and stuff like that. I also give to a lot of charities, some consistently and some spontaneously.

I like most sports at least a little but it kind of goes in phases like everything else I get into. Right now the main sport I follow is college football but I was following baseball until every team I cared about at all was eliminated from the playoffs.

Some of my favorite movies include Airplane!, Finding Nemo, The Truman Show, The Shawshank Redemption, Wreck-it Ralph, The Neverending Story, A Cinderella Story, Back to the Future, Mystery Date, The Last Starfighter, and The Tits That Saved XXX-mas.

Favorite famous people...hmmm..that's tough to narrow down. But I'll try. Norm MacDonald, Will Clark, Victoria Jackson, Dennis Miller, Phil Collins, Angie Savage, Jodie Sweetin, Dave Coulier, Andrea Evans, Ron Paul, John Ratzenberger, Stephen Baldwin...

My Zodiac sign is Leo. Chinese Zodiac - The Dragon. I don't know anything about rising signs, planets etc. I was born August 6, 1976 if somebody else wants to figure that out. ;)