• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Explanation of Sensing.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
God, I am going nuts on this. My best friend is an ISFJ, and we both enjoy MBTI. He is a moderate S, and he understands what N is and is able to engage in the stupid ideas of Intuidom.

I on the other hand, would give my left *** (you know what) to just get a glimpse of what Sensing means, be it internalized or external. I have five senses, and do collect my information through them, but WhoTF doesn't get their info from the outside.

Sure I do have my head up my you know what most of the time and I don't even notice whats going on around me.

I would love to know what its like to be a sensor, if anyone could translate it to laymans, I would much appreciate that.

thank you in advance.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ISFJ's function order: Si Fe Ti Ne Se Fi Te Ni

Linda V. Barens: Dynamics of Personality Type

Essential Characteristics of the Perceiving Processes:

Introverted Sensing (Si)
- Recalling
- Linking
- Comparing and contrasting
- Noticing Match and Mismatch
- Past

Extraverted Sensing (Se)
- Experiencing
- Doing
- Observing and Responding
- Adapting and Varying
- Present

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks Alcea, but I read that everywhere, yet my brain can't understand what it really means. I am looking for some very good concrete, maybe metaphorical examples.

You know, dumb it down for me.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks Alcea, but I read that everywhere, yet my brain can't understand what it really means. I am looking for some very good concrete, maybe metaphorical examples.

You know, dumb it down for me.

I'm all about the dumbing down! :hi:

First of all, concrete and metaphorical are like contradictions, man, It's you Ns that are all metaphorical, we suck at it.

Second, we're probly not meant to truly understand our opposites this way, because if we could, we'd be some sort of super-human and always challenging God to contests and stuff like that and God finds that annoying so he divided us into these different types.

Third, if you have the patience, read this thread: Jeffster Rocks Your World!

There's so much sensing in there, it will make your ears spin like solid gold rims. It's like a constant journey through the sensing world, so it will enlighten you on your path to...enlightenment. Or something. And if you still have questions after that, you can always ask me, as I will always do my best to help. In the meantime, try this, bite into a York peppermint patty, and let me know if you get the sensation. :D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm all about the dumbing down! :hi:

First of all, concrete and metaphorical are like contradictions, man, It's you Ns that are all metaphorical, we suck at it.

Second, we're probly not meant to truly understand our opposites this way, because if we could, we'd be some sort of super-human and always challenging God to contests and stuff like that and God finds that annoying so he divided us into these different types.

Third, if you have the patience, read this thread: Jeffster Rocks Your World!

There's so much sensing in there, it will make your ears spin like solid gold rims. It's like a constant journey through the sensing world, so it will enlighten you on your path to...enlightenment. Or something. And if you still have questions after that, you can always ask me, as I will always do my best to help. In the meantime, try this, bite into a York peppermint patty, and let me know if you get the sensation. :D

Well.. he was asking help understanding the sensing of an ISFJ, which is Si. You as an ISFP experience Se, which is quite, quite different!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
The dichotomies aren't either/or. We routinely use all functions.

All functions can be "abstracted." Abstraction in this case basically means that it can be done unconsciously with very little effort and sensory input; it's done automatically. There are levels within a function being abstracted. Usually our dominant function is the abstracted function and depending on which type theorist you read sometimes the auxiliary can become abstracted. I'm trying to think of some good examples of what abstracted functions look like but my mind is failing me.

The problem with an abstracted function is it's so automatic that it's hard to turn it off or recognize when you're using it, which leads to over reliance>unbalance. When you are able to wield your dominant function with dexterity and consciously shut it down and turn it back on again, you've reached a "higher" (for lack of a better word) level of an abstracted function.

When your friend is using his Si and why you have problems wrapping your mind around what they're doing is because you have to make a concerted effort to access your Si in a useful way. So you think it must be as hard for him to access it. You mostly tap into your Si unconsciously and vaguely. Your personal experiences with Si, whether you've been exposed to positive or negative Si routinely colors they way you access and perceive it. If you've been exposed to mostly negative Si, you'll access it negatively. Positive experiences with Si (or any function for that matter) are accessed neutrally or fondly.

As a Ne dominant, you may vaguely remember how your body reacts to past sensory inputs. You may vaguely recall the importance of your past experiences and how they're relevant to you as you search for possibilities in your environment. Good use of Si in an ENP informs your Ti or Fi of what past experiences to value and which ones have merit, which then tells your Ne when to follow it's nose down a fruitful path. When you actively try to engage your Si it's like trying to twist yourself into a pretzel. Whereas your ISFJ friend's use of Si is crisp and readily available. He doesn't need to pull from the bottom of his toes to get. So for example, he can remember his mother's scrambled eggs being light, fluffy, and flavorful and taste it in his mouth when he gets a whiff of eggs being cooked. His memories are all linked together like that. And it's completely the opposite way when he tried to access his Ne. Alcea Rosea gave a good list of the essentials of Si and Se. :)

============
As a completely off-topic statement, doesn't it just feel like Jeffster is having such a funner life than everyone? I mean this as a completely positive statement. I look at one of my ISFP coworkers and sometimes I think is this chick breathing? But then I do a double think and she appears to be so much happier than some of my other coworkers and I think it's genuine happiness. She's not looking for hidden meanings and spooks under rocks. I don't know if she chooses to take people at face value or just does but is that such a bad thing? I know when I interact with my boss, I've had to pretend not to catch what she's saying in order to save myself extra worry. My boss is a N and I know she often sends me messages that she wants me to pick up on without directly saying and that's her general way of communicating with me.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well.. he was asking help understanding the sensing of an ISFJ, which is Si. You as an ISFP experience Se, which is quite, quite different!

Don't harsh the buzz, man. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The dichotomies aren't either/or. We routinely use all functions.

All functions can be "abstracted." Abstraction in this case basically means that it can be done unconsciously with very little effort and sensory input; it's done automatically. There are levels within a function being abstracted. Usually our dominant function is the abstracted function and depending on which type theorist you read sometimes the auxiliary can become abstracted. I'm trying to think of some good examples of what abstracted functions look like but my mind is failing me.

The problem with an abstracted function is it's so automatic that it's hard to turn it off or recognize when you're using it, which leads to over reliance>unbalance. When you are able to wield your dominant function with dexterity and consciously shut it down and turn it back on again, you've reached a "higher" (for lack of a better word) level of an abstracted function.

When your friend is using his Si and why you have problems wrapping your mind around what they're doing is because you have to make a concerted effort to access your Si in a useful way. So you think it must be as hard for him to access it. You mostly tap into your Si unconsciously and vaguely. Your personal experiences with Si, whether you've been exposed to positive or negative Si routinely colors they way you access and perceive it. If you've been exposed to mostly negative Si, you'll access it negatively. Positive experiences with Si (or any function for that matter) are accessed neutrally or fondly.

As a Ne dominant, you may vaguely remember how your body reacts to past sensory inputs. You may vaguely recall the importance of your past experiences and how they're relevant to you as you search for possibilities in your environment. Good use of Si in an ENP informs your Ti or Fi of what past experiences to value and which ones have merit, which then tells your Ne when to follow it's nose down a fruitful path. When you actively try to engage your Si it's like trying to twist yourself into a pretzel. Whereas your ISFJ friend's use of Si is crisp and readily available. He doesn't need to pull from the bottom of his toes to get. So for example, he can remember his mother's scrambled eggs being light, fluffy, and flavorful and taste it in his mouth when he gets a whiff of eggs being cooked. His memories are all linked together like that. And it's completely the opposite way when he tried to access his Ne. Alcea Rosea gave a good list of the essentials of Si and Se. :)

Okay, he said "dumb it down", Nerdlinger. ;)

============
As a completely off-topic statement, doesn't it just feel like Jeffster is having such a funner life than everyone? I mean this as a completely positive statement. I look at one of my ISFP coworkers and sometimes I think is this chick breathing? But then I do a double think and she appears to be so much happier than some of my other coworkers and I think it's genuine happiness. She's not looking for hidden meanings and spooks under rocks. I don't know if she chooses to take people at face value or just does but is that such a bad thing? I know when I interact with my boss, I've had to pretend not to catch what she's saying in order to save myself extra worry. My boss is a N and I know she often sends me messages that she wants me to pick up on without directly saying and that's her general way of communicating with me.

Yes, it does sometimes seem like that. I have seen Jeffster in action at work, and I have been able to mind-read this from him:

"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, 'Aw, who cares?' And then I think, 'Hey, what's for supper?'"

:cool:

The ISFP side of Jack Handey? Maybe. :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sensing is, when you are convinced you know everything, cause you have seen everything that is to be considered.

Or Sensing is, when you know everything, because you have seen everything, but are still open for suggestions xD.

Or sensing is, best explained here:
ENFP

That link really gives detailed insight, you just have to click on the functions.

The most important fact about everything is that everyone is able to (make) sense. Even me :)

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
I suffer from a classic case of HUAS (Head up ass syndrome). How benificial would it be for me to work on my Si? I am very well developed on my Ne, Fi, Te. but thats about it.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Sensing is, when you are convinced you know everything, cause you have seen everything that is to be considered.

Or Sensing is, when you know everything, because you have seen everything, but are still open for suggestions xD.

Or sensing is, best explained here:
ENFP

That link really gives detailed insight, you just have to click on the functions.

The most important fact about everything is that everyone is able to (make) sense. Even me :)

Se or Si are not one of strong functions of a ENFP.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Se or Si are not one of strong functions of a ENFP.
This depends on whose succession of hierarchy you follow. Lenore Thomson says that for ENFP, the succession is something like this: Ne-Fi-Se-Ti-Fe-Ni-Te-Si. Based on her theory, the next extraverted (and probably more used function than Ti due to a naturual propensity for extraversion) function would be Se. On the other hand, Beebe says it's Ne-Fi-Te-Se-Ni-Fe-Ti-Si. This latter may be more closer to how succession development will derive in this type, based on my observtion of my son who claims to be ENFP.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
God, I am going nuts on this. My best friend is an ISFJ, and we both enjoy MBTI. He is a moderate S, and he understands what N is and is able to engage in the stupid ideas of Intuidom.

I on the other hand, would give my left *** (you know what) to just get a glimpse of what Sensing means, be it internalized or external. I have five senses, and do collect my information through them, but WhoTF doesn't get their info from the outside.

Sure I do have my head up my you know what most of the time and I don't even notice whats going on around me.

I would love to know what its like to be a sensor, if anyone could translate it to laymans, I would much appreciate that.

thank you in advance.
In layman's terms, I am unsure of your age but try remembering things from your childhood or early youth by associating them with smells, tastes, or familiar sounds that would make you recall your past. That would be Si. Now go outside and just appreciate the moment, listening to sounds and absorbing it all, or go for a walk and take in the color of the clouds, the greenery and immediate smells. That would be Se. Granted like most INTPs I enjoy going for long walks when I have the time, but since I dominate with Ti, I assure you that I don't use my Se because I am focused on all sort of internal thoughts. By the time I conclude my walk, I could hardly tell you what I noticed during the journey.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Woah really?

I do that atleast once a month or so, I will get this smell and hear these things that would throw me back to another time and place. I am currently 22, and I seem to mostly flashback to when I was 12. Songs can also bring back a feeling, but it usually involves regret.

So what is this called, and how can this be used to my benifit?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This depends on whose succession of hierarchy you follow. Lenore Thomson says that for ENFP, the succession is something like this: Ne-Fi-Se-Ti-Fe-Ni-Te-Si. Based on her theory, the next extraverted (and probably more used function than Ti due to a naturual propensity for extraversion) function would be Se. On the other hand, Beebe says it's Ne-Fi-Te-Se-Ni-Fe-Ti-Si. This latter may be more closer to how succession development will derive in this type, based on my observtion of my son who claims to be ENFP.

With strongest ones I meant mostly the first two functions which are usually most visible to others. So if a person wants a good example of Se I wouldn't suggest them to watch ENFP rather ESTP or ESFP. I do know a person of both all those types and their Se is really really visible.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX

thank you in advance.

If you haven't gotten a good grip on the differences, then..

You know when people say that a picture says more than a thousand words? If sensors could list how they perceive (what they notice, what thoughts come to mind, how much they notice, etc..) the random image below, then you have something to compare with.

NAII%20Cool%20Wave.jpg

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm..as soon as I saw that picture, I felt the water spraying on me.

That probly doesn't help. :blush:

alicia91

My eye was immediately drawn to the center hole of the wave.

- chaos
- power
- fear
- drowning
- it's coming towards me!
- should I swim towards it or away?

Took a deep breath

"wish I knew how to surf" :)

(perhaps this wasn't a good one for me to analyze since I have an unusual fear of open water?)

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm, in order....my mind noticed/thought about the following:

-The spray coming off the wave.
-The way the part of the wave in the distance seems to be going much further than the part up close.
-How do you take this picture? Seems like it must be a pain in the ass, as it's far out, and you'll get killed by the wave after taking it.
-I want to go to wherever this is.
-what does ip.now mean?
-Hmm, a web address...
-Oh, it's an internet provider that isn't in my area, back to the picture...
-This could go on forever...*clicks post*.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You Sensors sure notice a lot in a simple picture. All I can think about when viewing the picture is that I should be cold and floating when I'm not.