• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Main differences between ISFP and ESFP

BookLady

MBTI Type
ENFP
My 15 year old daughter insists she is an ESFP but I have long thought she was ISFP.

What would the tell-tale differences be?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm no expert, but from what I've read the main way to tell is does she have to be alone to "recharge" after being around people, or does she need to be around the people to "recharge" after being alone?

For me, it was pretty obvious when I was that age, as even though I went out with friends and had fun, I would get energy-drained by that, whereas I could go to my room and write for several hours and actually feel like I was gaining energy as I went.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
ESFPs get the party going and ISFPs bring all the tasty treats.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I just asked an ESFP about a specific ISFP, he said, "I have more common sense, I'm not an idiot and I'm not a dreamer."

It's not a popular ISFP he's talking about though.

Algora J

I'm no expert, but from what I've read the main way to tell is does she have to be alone to "recharge" after being around people, or does she need to be around the people to "recharge" after being alone?

For me, it was pretty obvious when I was that age, as even though I went out with friends and had fun, I would get energy-drained by that, whereas I could go to my room and write for several hours and actually feel like I was gaining energy as I went.

Hmmm...interesting. But actually I don't think the necessity to recharge is a clear indicator of introversion of extroversion. Personally, I have to "recharge" after spending time with all NF people- no offense! :) All talk about feelings and emotions gets me very tired. I rather spend time with other NTs or organizing something to do with others where there is a clear goal.

Also, writing can be a very analytical thinking ability- which requires organization of events and attaching meaning and significance to them which would be more indicative of N-J qualities.

I can say the most significant difference between the two types (ISFP-ESFP) is that ESFPs have more of a tendency to draw attention to themselves by making scenes in public while ISFPs are private people who don't like to display their emotions in public and seem almost "cold" until you get to know them very intimately.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ISFP's are much more reserved with strangers than ESFP's in my experiece. ESFP's (Se dominant) are ready for action and ready to talk to anybody at any time. ISFP's are more hesitant.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
If they were members of the seven dwarves, the ISFP would be called Clingy and the ESFP, Showy.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't think ISFP's are clingy. ISFJ's are more clingy, I think.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
True.
ESFP's are a lot more practical than their introverted counterpart
although a dominant perceiving function is considered " irrational "

Heh. Not always! The ESFPs I know are about as practical as a spontaneous trip to the Bahamas. :alttongue:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Focus. [The illusion of]

ISFPs putter around happily and seem more focused, although in actuality they're pretty flexy and go-with-the-flow in most situations.

ESFPs fling themselves all around and seem swept away on enthusiasm or the experience. More volatile, more "random" in some ways.

Put another way, both use Se and Fi... but the Fi+Se combo for ISFP means they're driven by values and express it by puttering around to experience the sensations of the world. They use experiences to contribute to their values or to reflect them.

ESFPs are sensation-first, steered by values when necessary, and so they appear to leap from one experience to the next, with the focus on the experience itself.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This is my dead horse beating response, but this is another example of E/I not being a good means of distinguising types. I have an ESFP daughter who stays constantly on the go, joining clubs student council, pom, competitive softball. I see her as a "sampler" and wanting to dabble in everything. I would think that an ISFP in typical introverted fashion would find no need to sample everything, and once she finds something of interest may stick with it longer than the ESFP or average extraverted type. Yet that is quite sterotypical as well. As for Jeffster's response, even extraverts find it necessary to recharge their batteries. The tell-tale difference may be that unless asleep, extraverts are on the go and introverts generally may be home bodies.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Put another way, both use Se and Fi... but the Fi+Se combo for ISFP means they're driven by values and express it by puttering around to experience the sensations of the world. They use experiences to contribute to their values or to reflect them.

This might explain my maternal grandmother Nanny's always warm chocolate chip cookies; they tasted like love was the secret ingredient.

ESFPs are sensation-first, steered by values when necessary, and so they appear to leap from one experience to the next, with the focus on the experience itself.

This might explain my Mom's penchant for after-school antics with us at the expense of a timely supper.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Focus. [The illusion of]

ISFPs putter around happily and seem more focused, although in actuality they're pretty flexy and go-with-the-flow in most situations.

ESFPs fling themselves all around and seem swept away on enthusiasm or the experience. More volatile, more "random" in some ways.

All this time I've been wondering what I was doing, but now I know I've been puttering around. Thanks Jennifer. ;)