• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Shy

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I assume we're asking this of introverts in general? Both Jung and Myers-Briggs notes that E/I has no bearing on being gregarious or shy, but where you focus your energy. I am not and have never been, shy. I have always been reserved.

No. Not asking just introverts. I know of shy extroverts.

wolfy

awsm
No I'm not shy. But if I'm not used to my surroundings I will observe for a while. Sometimes this is taken as shyness.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No I'm not shy. But if I'm not used to my surroundings I will observe for a while. Sometimes this is taken as shyness.

INTROVERT ALERT
INTROVERT ALERT

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I assume we're asking this of introverts in general? Both Jung and Myers-Briggs notes that E/I has no bearing on being gregarious or shy, but where you focus your energy. I am not and have never been, shy. I have always been reserved.
Correct. Conflate reticence and shyness and then get shocked by something "so out of character!" Sometimes people are silent because they don't think what they have to say at a given time adds anything novel in the grand scheme of things (why bother?). They're often right. Then there's reticence when you know the audience isn't ready for whatever you have to add because it's so oblique that it would require too much explanation to be communicated even nearly effectively. Then there's reticence to avoid needless friction. And so it goes. Assuming we define shyness as being timid/ bashful / deficient, it's easily misdiagnosed.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm shy around mean people, authorities, and guys I feel very attracted to who I don't know.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know an ENFP with some pretty bad social anxiety. =(
I'm so sad for him. Social anxiety is bad enough as it is but to be an ENFP with social anxiety...=(

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh and to answer my own question, I can get pretty shy sometimes, especially with new people...Jeffster's seen me...could you tell I was feeling shy Jeffster?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh and to answer my own question, I can get pretty shy sometimes, especially with new people...Jeffster's seen me...could you tell I was feeling shy Jeffster?

Not really. You looked pretty confident actually. Emphasis on the pretty. :yes:

But then, I'm the most friendly guy in the universe, so it's easy not to feel shy around me. :cool:

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm shy around mean people, authorities, and guys I feel very attracted to who I don't know.

....and you're exactly the kind of girl that catches my eye.......I LOVE shy girls.......so sexy........

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
not shy but sometimes anxiety when I get a lot of attention in an unfamiliar situation and I doubt that it's going well.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I don't think that I was ever shy, just someone who preferred to observe. However, I have to be in the middle of getting something accomplished instead of sitting on the sidelines.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was five, friends of my parents came over to visit one evening. After some time, they realized they couldn't find me. They finally located me wedged in the backroom between the dryer and the wall.

I've had long periods of time where I would take a different hallway/route if I heard someone coming, because it was too stressful to meet their gaze or wonder what I'd have to say if they said "hi" or smiled at me.

I also know what it's like to start driving to some place with lots of people or just new people... and if there's no one there I'd be letting down by not showing up, I'd finally break down when I got there, circle around the place wondering what to do, and then go somewhere else by myself and just never show, because of the terrible stress involved.

I'm a lot better than I was, now, thank goodness... although i still feel the anxiety sometimes even to feel sick to my stomach. But I've done it enough to deal with it and trust myself AND others.

I don't think that introversion = shyness. One can be introverted and not necessarily shy. I think shyness gets mistaken for introversion. Introversion is more just a preference of how to use one's energy (which direction energy gets focused in), what recharges one, etc.

Shyness usually involves a lot of fear and also doubt in one's own abilities to cope and a lack of trust in the intent of others... and maybe the desire to avoid self-embarrassment. If I enter this new and strange place without knowing the rules, I might make a mistake; if I go here, people might ignore me and leave me feeling invisible and worthless; if I go here, I'll have to "perform" and I feel totally inept and people will think I'm stupid or laugh at me. (And so on.) So there's a lot of negative self-perception involved with shyness, or at least a lot of fear that is not necessarily the same as introversion.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I’m pretty shy I try not to show it though so most people who know me wouldn't think that I am :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I was five, friends of my parents came over to visit one evening. After some time, they realized they couldn't find me. They finally located me wedged in the backroom between the dryer and the wall.

I did a similar thing once at my elderly neighbours house and hid behind a room divider cause I got all shy, my neighbour was sick with worry as to where I was :blush: Oops

He called me Heidi from that day on :D