• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] What is fear?

Dudesowin

MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of people consider ISTP to be one of those fearless adrenaline seekers. So I was hoping we could get together and talk about fear and see what it means to everybody.

Here I will go first. I find that I just can't tolerate the unpleasantness of fear in those around me. A phrase that has always pissed me off is when someone says "Fear what do not know" and they always exploit the sense of identity to place such with "we" making you feel all close and personal. "We fear what we do not know" much akin to how in sports one would say "We won that game last night" basking in self reflected glory.

Consider the following:
Knowing is Logic
Fear is Emotion

Logic and Emotion are both two equatable ways to perceive the world around you. To motion because the first relation is true then so too must Fear equate to Unknown is the very errant raw functional definition of subjectivity this particular kind is ad hominem (against the person) due to the denotation of "we".

Examples:
Lets have a visual example. Perhaps some of you will remember sitting in school learning about geometry and finding it strange for some reason everyone seems to get hung up on this principle:

"A square is a rectangle yet a rectangle is not a square"

rectangle = fear
square = do not know

"A fear is an unknown yet an unknown is not a fear"

Perhaps one could say it thusly "Fear is always unknown yet what is unknown is not always fear".

Conclusion:
This would prove fear is a self contrived inductive fallacy manifested by the guilt of basking in self reflected glory.

Related Thoughts:
When one considers possession and the fear of theft, things get a lot more interesting. Like that quote "Possession is 9 tenths of the law" and how people are always talking about these "Nanny Governments". Which also makes me consider a new outlook on ancient Buddhist teachings that I have seen somewhat popular among INTP. And talks of fear in relation to love along with certain neurological hormones.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To quote fia:

the differences between our perceptions combined with childhood cause-and-effect all come together to make everything seem like an inevitable result

We strive for immortality in all aspects of our lives, posting on internet forums, "please take our photographs", collecting treasures, highlights, accolades... because we have a place in history. It is inevitable. True or not, I think that deep down, fear of relative pointlessness of anything 99.999% we accomplish spurs this inverted psychic witchhunt for perfection.

Enjoy each Kodak moment.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Fear is the emotional response to the unknown, it is not the unknown in itself. It's a response because the person feels threatened in some way by the unknown. If the person feels no threat then they will embrace the unknown and grow through knowledge.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oddly, when there's real danger... I get very calm and do some amazing things.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fear is like when something makes you afraid, man.

jryn1993

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't see how fear is always about the unknown. I know exactly what it's like to get kicked in the throat and I'm still plenty afraid of it.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perfectly reasonable to fear getting kicked in the nuts. The open question for an ISTP is what happens in the millisecond once it's in action.

roman67

Fear is chemical reaction in brain when you face something difficult to handle.

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't mind fear because fear makes me remember to stop and think about when things are worth protecting and when it's unrealistic to try to hold onto some things so tightly for so long. I learn from fear.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's the fear of getting kicked in the nuts, which I call common sense. What I call fear is the feeling of knowing it will be hard to do what's right.