• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP - Commitment Issues?

thefish

MBTI Type
ESTP
Someone told me recently that I have commitment issues. I looked it up and thought to myself, 'hey, that could very well be'.

The thought of settling down with one job or one person forever is daunting. The job part isn't too difficult as it's okay to move around every few years or so. The person thing could be trickier.

I think it may have to do with a quote I read in these forums: I like shiny, but I'm always on the lookout, or at least wondering if there's a shinier shiny.

Do you have any experience on commitment issues with certain types? Any advice?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
My best friend is ESTP and he does seem to have a commitment thing. The flip side is that his culture is REALLY big on family stuff, so he wants to start a family with the girlfriend he's with as soon as possible.

One day he's telling me she's the one, the next day he's saying he can't see her as being the one. I've known her and she's a total keeper in all regards - good job, very supportive, phyiscally attractive, ISxJ I think..... great match for him, but he's always wavering about it.

Not sure what to tell ya advice wise, just lettin ya know you're not the only one. how old are you? Regardless of type, I don't think anyone should be getting married in their 20s in this day and age

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My best friend is ESTP and he does seem to have a commitment thing. The flip side is that his culture is REALLY big on family stuff, so he wants to start a family with the girlfriend he's with as soon as possible.

One day he's telling me she's the one, the next day he's saying he can't see her as being the one. I've known her and she's a total keeper in all regards - good job, very supportive, phyiscally attractive, ISxJ I think..... great match for him, but he's always wavering about it.

I wish I understood ESTPs better. And I'm afraid to say much because I don't want to say something cliche or stereotypical but wrong.

I just notice that ESTP males I've known or read about have tended to have commitment issues. Maybe not in keeping with the outward appearance of their marriages, they do seem to believe in group loyalty and team spirit and sticking things out and "keeping promises" overtly; but I've seen a larger proportion of them either stray literally when affairs present themselves or to neglect the emotional/abstracted parts of their relationships, iow neglecting the emotional needs of their wives or downplaying them in order to follow their own bliss. I don't know enough female ESTPs to see if the pattern appears there too.

Not sure what to tell ya advice wise, just lettin ya know you're not the only one. how old are you? Regardless of type, I don't think anyone should be getting married in their 20s in this day and age

Uh..... why?

(And especially why are you making a blanket statement that crosses all type and gender and cultural differences?)

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
(And especially why are you making a blanket statement that crosses all type and gender and cultural differences?)

I'm just cynical about marriages that begin with younger people that understand little about themselves where one or both partners haven't done the things they really NEED to do before settling down. Of course there's exceptions, but anytime I see a couple in their 20s getting married I quietly think to myself "There's a divorce waiting to go off like a time bomb"

EDIT: althoug hyou're right about the culture thing. I've never seen a young married Japanese couple and thought the same thing, it's just the crumbling institution of marriage in the US that has me generalizing I suppose

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm just cynical about marriages that begin with younger people that understand little about themselves where one or both partners haven't done the things they really NEED to do before settling down. Of course there's exceptions, but anytime I see a couple in their 20s getting married I quietly think to myself "There's a divorce waiting to go off like a time bomb"

Well, I think that about very young 20's ("What on earth are they doing?") but your range includes 29 year olds... and I'm thinking definitely by then people should be able to handle commitment.

I'm also thinking childhood/teen years and the stability of one's family growing up impacts how early one can handle personal LT commitment. Kids who have good parents and have been allowed to explore and understand their own desires and needs and accept them are prepped for stability in a LTR; those who had had to suppress their own needs or still have lots of things incomplete in their lives will have much more to overcome in a LTR and are more likely to choose "bad" partners.

EDIT: althoug hyou're right about the culture thing. I've never seen a young married Japanese couple and thought the same thing, it's just the crumbling institution of marriage in the US that has me generalizing I suppose

The idea of "face" in Asian culture seems to have the same effect as the old Judeo-Christian beliefs did in the US -- you weren't allowed to divorce, socially, so you had to make it work or lose lots of clout. Cultures where a marriage is also more of a business relationship (i.e., maintaining a household together) rather than mostly a vehicle for romantic love also tend to preserve the unions more easily.

... so how do ESTPs and general outlook fit into all that? (trying to tie things back. :) )

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think that this may be a SP thing all together, with the exception of the ISFP. From personalitypage.com:
Commitment is not a strong point for the ESTP. Living almost entirely in the present moment, they're not comfortable with making plans far in advance for their future. If this tendency is not addressed in the ESTP, they may fall into a pattern of jumping from relationship to relationship without ever making a real commitment. If this is okay with the ESTP, then that behavior is fine. Most people at some point in their lives do wish to settle down. If the ESTP reaches that point, there's no reason they can't make a commitment as long as they consciously renew it to themselves daily.

They take things on a day-by-day basis, and are uncomfortable thinking too much about the future, or making plans far in advance. For this reason, ESFPs are not natural long-term commitment people. They may feel tremendously committed on a day-by-day basis, but they do not naturally plan for their futures. This commitment issue is a potential pitfall for the ESFP. Many people of this type overcome this potential weakness, and become involved in truly satisfying, lifelong relationships. Others do not address this weakness, and move from relationship to relationship without forming real commitments, convincing themselves that this is what they truly want.

ISTPs take their commitments on a day-by-day basis. Even if they say "I do", it usually means "I do for now". They do not like to make lifelong commitments, although they may very well be involved in lifelong relationships which they have taken one day at a time.

ISFPs are warm and giving people, who have a depth of emotion and caring which is not often obvious to others, except those who know them extremely well. They are usually intense people, who experience their emotions on an intense level. Although they may appear to be light-hearted, they are in fact extremely serious, and take their relationships seriously. Unlike other SP types, people with the ISFP type desire and seek lifelong, committed relationships.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
My best ESTP friend gets talks from his girlfriend every month or so about engagement/settling down - and I can see why it turns into an argument. The future is just so uncertain!! He and I have that exact perspective on the whole thing. She wants to know what she should plan on after she graduates from college, where to go to grad school, should she move in with him, etc. And he's thinking "We'll see what happens when the time comes around"... He's been with her going on 3 years, and faithfully so. He's big on his own family, loves them all to pieces, enjoys the visits and so forth.... Still too much uncertainty when talking about the future.

heart

heart on fire

1. If a marriage serves the needs/wants of the two people at the time and gives them what they need at that time, what does it matter if they later grow apart and divorce? It does not make what they had before meaningless or wrong.

2. Getting married in 20's does not guarntee divorce.

3. Getting married does not have to automatically stop all types of personal growth.

4. Different types are going to have different needs in this area.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My ESTP brother proposed to his girlfriend last year, and they've just turned 20. I'm pretty sure it's just to stick her in the 'keep net' until he gets bored and finishes the relationship. He's bought her a ring and everything, which is surprising. Normally he's spent all his money within the same week of getting it.

thefish

MBTI Type
ESTP
Grungemouse, that may be just it... I don't believe in a soul mate, but I do believe that two people can make it work... sometimes its easier then others.

So, if I (ESTP) am dating someone, I may start thinking, "Is there someone else out there that could be an even greater fit?"... which at some level the person I'm dating is going to be picking up on. No kidding they would start to feel anxious and perhaps insecure.

Really, I need to be saying, "This is good and the more I'm into this, the greater it'll get." It's about focus, I suppose?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Someone told me recently that I have commitment issues. I looked it up and thought to myself, 'hey, that could very well be'.

The thought of settling down with one job or one person forever is daunting. The job part isn't too difficult as it's okay to move around every few years or so. The person thing could be trickier.

I think it may have to do with a quote I read in these forums: I like shiny, but I'm always on the lookout, or at least wondering if there's a shinier shiny.

Do you have any experience on commitment issues with certain types? Any advice?

Everyone in the world has commitment issues. Yours happen to be in the area of human relations and job situation. Some people can't commit to four year college but can hold a job at taco bell for 15 years. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Be a player. If you find someone who's worth settling down with, you probably won't have as much trouble doing it.

Figure this: why do you think you have trouble committing? Is it because you get frustrated by the person? Do they give you grief for your lifestyle?

Find someone who likes to bounce around a lot, and maybe you'll bounce around on the same wavelength. Maybe not.