• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] STP's, less scared of admitting weakness?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Do you think its possible STP's are less scared of admitting to weakness because... we learn by trial and error anyway?

my whole life is a mistake.:rofl1:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe that identifying our weaknesses is one useful step in personal development and becoming stronger, which I guess could be done by any type, though perhaps the motivation as to what to improve could differ - like maybe STPs seek to grow more capable in problem-solving within the field of their interest and specialty.

W

WALMART

I think back to a time [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] and I went to a venue that doubles as a theater and a restaurant. Our waitress asked if we had eaten there before and I told her I had (rex had, I hadn't). I figured the system wasn't so complex it wasn't something I could pick up along the way, the kind of thinking which often gets me in trouble...

I think I am only good at admitting weakness if I feel it makes me appear stronger for doing so. Otherwise, I'm quite cowardly about my approach, praying my ignorance remains hidden to develop the actual skills required of me.

jryn1993

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not sure that it's an STP thing, but I've got no problem admitting weakness. I've found it's actually a very effective defense mechanism in a way. That probably sounds counter-intuitive but it works in practice.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Not sure that it's an STP thing, but I've got no problem admitting weakness. I've found it's actually a very effective defense mechanism in a way. That probably sounds counter-intuitive but it works in practice.

It actually makes it hard for people to take your power from you.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

I don't have a problem admitting weakness as well especially if it's with people I trust. I think admitting and realizing your weakness is a sign of strength.

KDude

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it. OTOH, I know people who can be too humble, so I might try to talk them out of it. It's just about being realistic.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that STPs have similar attitude to admitting weaknesses than NTPs. However i think that STPs might be convinced easier that they have a weakness if its displayed by something concrete in the external world, while NTPs might be more easier like "but it works in theory and these hundreds of real life cases are just exceptions!!!" and not realize the weakness so easily. On the other hand some cases really are just an exceptions to rules and that what happens in the concrete world could had gone differently from theory because of multiple unknown reasons :D

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
Innately speaking, I'm indifferent about talking about my weaknesses. I see it as constructive too, so I tend to do it more often to help other people feel more at ease talking about theirs so we can get onto solving the stuff that really matters.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think that STPs have similar attitude to admitting weaknesses than NTPs. However i think that STPs might be convinced easier that they have a weakness if its displayed by something concrete in the external world, while NTPs might be more easier like "but it works in theory and these hundreds of real life cases are just exceptions!!!" and not realize the weakness so easily. On the other hand some cases really are just an exceptions to rules and that what happens in the concrete world could had gone differently from theory because of multiple unknown reasons :D

nah

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I am happy to admit what I see as my weaknesses.

If somebody tries to tell me that I suck at something I consider to be a strength, I won't be happy.

People don't want to be approved. that's a myth.

People want to be approved/disapproved according to how they see themselves.

The worst thing you can do to someone is praise them for the "wrong " reasons according to their self-image.:D

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
UGH! I know there is a certain word for this in psychology but I cannot remember what it is.

That is, a willingness to admit to and honestly display socially negative traits about themselves to others. It's not exactly admitting weakness, though in the same vein.

It's not defensiveness...but related to it.

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
Sometimes I wish I could get parts of my childhood/teenage years back so I could stand up to some of the people that made me feel weak by ridiculing my weaknesses, but I know that's not possible, so now when someone acts like they're going to start in on me, I beat them to the punch and laugh about my own weaknesses that way they can't make fun of me for taking myself too seriously, and eventually they shy away and leave me alone when they realize they're only embarrassing themselves by trying to get a reaction I don't plan on giving. But, I do feel foolish sometimes for having a decent I.Q in the English/music/languages/computers areas and knowing young children that are literally better at me than math, lol!:) I tend to do well in jobs that involve a team effort and/or hands on learning experiences, but it's always that stupid assed math. Even things like video games are the same way, I can beat some bosses that are like invincible, but there's always that one optional side quest that takes me like a dozen game clears to finally figure out.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
UGH! I know there is a certain word for this in psychology but I cannot remember what it is.

That is, a willingness to admit to and honestly display socially negative traits about themselves to others. It's not exactly admitting weakness, though in the same vein.

It's not defensiveness...but related to it.

Well I know E8's look stronger when they admit weakness, because it shows their enemies they're aware of their that weak spot and the person shouldn't even attempt to hit it because they'll be watching.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Well I know E8's look stronger when they admit weakness, because it shows their enemies they're aware of their that weak spot and the person shouldn't even attempt to hit it because they'll be watching.

Well, that's something else, but interesting in itself.

The idea I was thinking of was that some people are more willing to admit/display socially negative traits irrespective of motivation. Has to do with both internal and external admission of traits.

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Weakness is only something I can't get good at. If it's something I can improve with time and effort then it's only a temporary limitation standing in the way.
I have no problem admitting I suck at some things. If it's something I'm not interested in then why bother caring? There will always be someone better at certain things than yourself at some point.

PJWakt

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a realist and admit to my strengths and my weaknesses. I do not feel the need to be good at everything: being great in a small number of areas is fine!

One thing I've noticed is that I am more willing than some to admit when I don't know the answer to a question i am asked.