• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Feelings

W

WALMART

What are they like for you?

When/why/how do you experience them?

ArtemisFull

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Feelings can be overwhelming for me... I'm not going to lie, a lot of the times. When I truly connect with someone, I start to feel strong, intense emotions for the person and if uncertain about their feelings towards me (I'm so bad at telling if a guy is into me or not) end up thinking about them non-stop. It gets hard to focus on anything else. Sucks when I have things I need to get done :shock:

I also tend to ignore my emotions if it's not overpowering. For example, I can come across as pallid or disinterested while a friend is spilling their heart out to me, but I can still feel a well of emotions underneath my external layer (which I refer to as my poker face.) Rather than focusing on the emotions, I naturally cast it aside for the time being and start laying out mental charts of possible advice/recommendations I can give to my friend in need (Ti working here) based off my stored knowledge of this particular person's past experiences, personality traits, etc. My friends tend to come to me for objective advice due to this, or if they just want someone to listen to them without being judgmental.

So I can either fully detach myself from my emotions, or they end up controlling me.

On a random note, I find myself tearing up when watching documentaries/movies on something happy or sad, but only when I'm by myself. Won't bat an eye in front of others.

KDude

In terms of what? Relationships? I hate to even talk about that, but I can relate to the distracting state that [MENTION=17227]ArtemisFull[/MENTION] mentioned. I don't think I've truly managed to be productive about it yet, so for now, I'm better off not thinking about relationships. ymmv. Other common feelings are just anger/rage/irritability (mostly irritability). When I was young, I'd act on it too much and got into too many fights. My parents thought I needed a shrink. Not to sound too geeky, but I relate to Vulcans from Star Trek. lol. They're not naturally in control.. they make a lot of effort to be that way. Their natural state is intense. I wish I was one of those people who are born zen, but I'm far from it.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Externally, we usually don't show it.
Yet internally, I surmise we're as "emotional" as any other personality type.

That is, assuming we care enough to understand or waste energy on such.

mcgooglian

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't do these things you call feelings. I lock them in a box, then shove them in a closet beneath the stairs so they can defeat He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

W

WALMART

Yeah, I wonder my feelings. I can't tell if I simply metabolize them quickly or ignore thrm altogether.

xisnotx

Permabanned
My feelings are like "I'm hungry", or "I'm tired" or "I need to go to the bathroom". Those feelings I'm really good at.

But, like "happiness" or "sorrow"...yeah, it's usually like not at all...as in, I don't consciously realize that that's what I'm feeling....or it's like "I'm smiling, so I must be happy...because that's how it works, right?"

Then there are times where I'm like "Whoa, that's new...I guess I'm feeling something...what is it?"

So, I start thinking "What is angst plus sorrow?...then I get many answers...like "Apprehension...or anxious"..." Then I'm like, ok, am I apprehensive, because I'm definitely "angstful" and sorrowful at the same time? If yes, I'm like "That's what apprehension feels like?" Who knew...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are they like for you?

When/why/how do you experience them?
Maybe you could be a bit more specific in what you're asking? My answer so far would be the same as most other humans, really.

KDude

My answer so far would be the same as most other humans, really.

Seriously.

I was convinced for a second that ISTPs were autistic. Wtf is wrong with some of you? I "feel" like kicking you in the balls, just for fun.

W

WALMART

^ To both of you, I doubt your emotional composition is anything like most of the other types.

I look to ArtemisFull's post and see validation in exploring the concepts I am attempting to uncover in this thread.

Sensors... pfft.

Edit: RW was too quick for me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, are you more talking about expression of feelings? To me that's a very very different idea from talking about, well, feeling feelings. I feel a huge number of things that I don't express.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've seen a lot of people complain on this forum about their ISTP not showing them enough affection or not caring in a visible manner enough about them.

So I'm led to believe that this is perhaps the most cold and emotionally distant of all the types.

For reference, look at the famous ISTPs page on celebrity types, pretty much all of them have such a stern and serious expression!

KDude

For reference, look at the famous ISTPs page on celebrity types, pretty much all of them have such a stern and serious expression!

I'm not stern. That sounds like the "school principal". When I was like 8 or something, I broke into my school and pissed on the principal's desk. That's my "feeling" when it comes to "stern" people. I'm like most SPs.. kind of fun loving, I guess, rebellious, and I have my moments of rage. Not Donald Rumsfeld or Putin. Who's next? Dr. Phil? I'm not going to live up to some image on that site. Most of these places are run by retarded NTs who barely know any people.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, well maybe stern was the wrong word, but I think stoic might be more proper, or self-contained, though perhaps there could be some passionate fire raging inside many ISTPs, or a drive to pleasure, but ya, definately do their own thing, and enjoy it, I think.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen a lot of people complain on this forum about their ISTP not showing them enough affection or not caring in a visible manner enough about them.

So I'm led to believe that this is perhaps the most cold and emotionally distant of all the types.

Showing few feelings is not the same thing as having few feelings, though.

Also most of those people seem to be NFs (for some reason) and seem to need more emotional validation than other types, which ISTPs are often bad at doing.

KDude

Ok, well maybe stern was the wrong word, but I think stoic might be more proper, or self-contained, though perhaps there could be some passionate fire raging inside many ISTPs, or a drive to pleasure, but ya, definately do their own thing, and enjoy it, I think.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

It depends on whom I'm with. I don't affect a sense of character or code of conduct. I think that has a lot to do with being a Perciever. Or maybe it's a little Fe too, changeable around environment. It's all situational. I'm stoic when I'm disengaged from the company I'm with. Like a shitty party or something. I can just leave though, do something on my own, and you might find me enjoying myself. My brother is an ESTJ, I think, and more stoic. Consistently stoic. It's like engrained in his character.

KDude

Showing few feelings is not the same thing as having few feelings, though.

Also most of those people seem to be NFs (for some reason) and seem to need more emotional validation than other types, which ISTPs are often bad at doing.

Yeah, if we're talking about that kind of feeling, I'm not sure where to start. I don't even involve myself in relationships anymore. That's how much I care right now. It doesn't mean I'm an android though.