• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Differences, similarities between N artists and S artists

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I was just wondering what you each see as the difference between S artists and N artists. Any artists around who care to tell what you preceive as the differences or perhaps share a bit about your creative/artistic process?

A

Anew Leaf

I was an art major in college for a couple semesters, and I took this upper level painting class. Ugh... it was ALL ABOUT THE DAMN "PROCESS". I wanted to gouge my eyes out. My instructor showed us her process that we were supposed to emulate for the course.

Her process for some painting she showed us:

Step 1: Go to France.
Step 2: Ride on trains through countryside making quick sketches.
Step 3: Make colored sketches based on these sketches.
Step 4: Make small paintings of these sketches on 5" x 5" canvases.
Step 5: Make slightly larger paintings of these paintings.
Step 6: Make even larger paintings of these paintings of these paintings.
Step 7: Make a few very large paintings.
Step 8: Start over with step 1 somewhere else.

(Oh and insert this step anywhere: waste time actually making your own canvases instead of purchasing them predone.)

I listened to an hour of her going through this process and noticing that I was pretty much the only person not nodding in agreement. I then raised my hand and said what looked obvious to me: "Why not just go from step 1 to step 6 or 7?" This was a mistake as I then got an added lecture on the importance of whatever this was.

I still got an A in this class simply because it was Art and I argued with her that my own process was to leap about wildly on various topics and that her process didn't work for me.

I kind of liked those subjective degree classes.

The End.

gromit

likes this
I am not a trained artist, just like making stuff.

For something concrete, a portrait or still life, I prefer the end result to look exactly like whatever I'm drawing or painting, at least proportionally.

For something more abstract (like a pattern or stylized design) I usually have a general idea where I want something to go, gather up some examples from different sources, take the aspects of each that I like and sort of synthesize them, and then do iterations until the product is satisfactory.

No idea how it applies to S or N though.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I was just wondering what you each see as the difference between S artists and N artists. Any artists around who care to tell what you preceive as the differences or perhaps share a bit about your creative/artistic process?

Are you asking about visual/tactile art only, or music and words too?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Um, I've actually asked myself this question before, and I never could think of a definitive answer.

Hm, I guess a lot of it could possibly have to do with what it is that they are artistically depicting, like perhaps an S artist draws a picture of a rather realistic place that follows the laws of the directly observable world, and an N artist draws a picture of a dreamscape that bends the laws of nature in accordance with his own alternate design.

Maybe also the S artist is more into how the picture looks, and the N artist might be more into what the picture means.

I really don't know though. Anyone though can feel free to build on top of or debunk what I said though, should you agree or disagree on any level.

gromit

likes this
I am not a trained artist, just like making stuff.

For something concrete, a portrait or still life, I prefer the end result to look exactly like whatever I'm drawing or painting, at least proportionally.

For something more abstract (like a pattern or stylized design) I usually have a general idea where I want something to go, gather up some examples from different sources, take the aspects of each that I like and sort of synthesize them, and then do iterations until the product is satisfactory.

No idea how it applies to S or N though.

@bolded, it might be more of an F thing, but you just can feeeeeeeel when it is "right" or when it's off. Feel almost disgusted when it's not right, and really peaceful and happy when it's right.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've noticed more difference between J and P than S and N. For the life of me I can't do quick, loose drawings. I've tried and I always end up getting too detailed. From what I've seen, P's have an easier time producing a loose, less detailed style of art, while J's tend to produce a more controlled, detailed style of art. **

**Disclaimer: in no way does this mean that ALL P's only produce loose, less detailed art and ALL J's only produce controlled, detailed art.

ETA: And for the record, I envy the people who can do the quick, loose drawings.

Emerill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed more difference between J and P than S and N. For the life of me I can't do quick, loose drawings. I've tried and I always end up getting too detailed. From what I've seen, P's have an easier time producing a loose, less detailed style of art, while J's tend to produce a more controlled, detailed style of art. **

**Disclaimer: in no way does this mean that ALL P's only produce loose, less detailed art and ALL J's only produce controlled, detailed art.

ETA: And for the record, I envy the people who can do the quick, loose drawings.

I agree with this, but there is a difference between S's and N's

S's tend to give their perception of how they see things around them, drawing people they know, different tangible subjects, and from what I see, they like to draw realistically or semi-realistically (only one that I know of that HASN'T done that, and I've been to many art classes). If they create something imaginative, it's usually drawn with the knowledge of things they've already seen and touched (aka, if they do something abstract for example, it's typically still or person, or something tangible) N's tend to be more abstract, and instead of giving their perception of how they see thing's around them, they give a little bit of how they see things in their mind. They lean more towards the imaginative, and if they draw something realistic, it's with their own flair put into in it.

So, a breakdown of generalities across types (not all were like this)

ISP's

Tend to draw things they see and draw extremely realistically. However, the way they start is very loose and relaxed, even if the finished work is not.

ISJ's

Lean more towards realism, and they draw based on a certain method. Their process is very meticulous at times.

INP's

Tend to draw from their imagination. They're loose with it, and tend to make a bunch of doodles.

INJ's

Very meticulous and tend to be perfectionist's. Also draw from imagination.

All types can draw abstractly and realistically as they please, of course, and all types are good in their own way. These are just what they seem to prefer. :D

Emerill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um, I've actually asked myself this question before, and I never could think of a definitive answer.

Hm, I guess a lot of it could possibly have to do with what it is that they are artistically depicting, like perhaps an S artist draws a picture of a rather realistic place that follows the laws of the directly observable world, and an N artist draws a picture of a dreamscape that bends the laws of nature in accordance with his own alternate design.

Maybe also the S artist is more into how the picture looks, and the N artist might be more into what the picture means.

I really don't know though. Anyone though can feel free to build on top of or debunk what I said though, should you agree or disagree on any level.

That's something I've noticed too.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ooh, good topic. I've been thinking about this myself. I assume "artist" is meant in the broad terms - ie. all creative professions.

Here's my take on it. I'm just talking about it from the angle of music - although I think much of it applies generally.

Sensors - like to create a sense of a time, a place, an experience and reflect on the accompanying thoughts, sensations and emotions. It feels very immediate and evocative of a situation. Often telling a story. It can be like you're there, experiencing it too, or instead stirs up memories of your own experiences. Use metaphors to create the sense of the subjective reality.

Intuitives - like create something that is more removed from the direct experience. The lyrics circle the subject matter but often don't address it directly. Tend to be more esoteric in meaning. Not usually linear or story driven, and instead explores the "story" of the concept/emotion. Use metaphors to create a sense of the underlying elements/meaning.

So based on this perhaps you could say:

S artwork
Evoke a sense of the experience
Pure
Immediate
Story of a situation
Impressions of manifest elements

N artwork
Evoke a sense of the concept
Indirect
Filtered
Story of an abstraction
Impressions of latent elements

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
S.K.

That's very insightful and you may be onto something. However, as an N, I've always felt it important [in poetry and songs] to build a concrete world first then move my readers to an understanding of the abstract and methaphorical, but that could be a type thing more than an N thing. I'm uncertain. My song writing/poetry writing process is very simple. I allow myself one abstract for every three concrete images. That way I ground the sensors and touch the intuitives. Although, I didn't realize that when I first started doing it. I didn't know about MBTI and was only trying to "speak to all kinds of people" with my work.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was an art major in college for a couple semesters, and I took this upper level painting class. Ugh... it was ALL ABOUT THE DAMN "PROCESS". I wanted to gouge my eyes out. My instructor showed us her process that we were supposed to emulate for the course.

Her process for some painting she showed us:

Step 1: Go to France.
Step 2: Ride on trains through countryside making quick sketches.
Step 3: Make colored sketches based on these sketches.
Step 4: Make small paintings of these sketches on 5" x 5" canvases.
Step 5: Make slightly larger paintings of these paintings.
Step 6: Make even larger paintings of these paintings of these paintings.
Step 7: Make a few very large paintings.
Step 8: Start over with step 1 somewhere else.

(Oh and insert this step anywhere: waste time actually making your own canvases instead of purchasing them predone.)

I listened to an hour of her going through this process and noticing that I was pretty much the only person not nodding in agreement. I then raised my hand and said what looked obvious to me: "Why not just go from step 1 to step 6 or 7?" This was a mistake as I then got an added lecture on the importance of whatever this was.

I still got an A in this class simply because it was Art and I argued with her that my own process was to leap about wildly on various topics and that her process didn't work for me.

I kind of liked those subjective degree classes.

The End.

Hahaha this is pretty much how I would view it as well. Even though I'm not an artist, the more detailed teachings are what would make any N type go insane.