• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] im not sure what is it about people who want power, like control that just makes me

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
experience nausea. do you guys ever feel the same kind of reaction from these people? how do you normally deal with them?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I dont think ive ever experienced any nausea. But power...that's an interesting word.

I suppose I spend too much time looking at the laughable fragility of our power structures, to ever consider a serious notion of willfully going after them.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
experience nausea. do you guys ever feel the same kind of reaction from these people? how do you normally deal with them?

They're usually enneagram 8w7's and 6w5's. I don't mind them, as long as they don't try to step on my toes, if you get my drift.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Power and control, when used with virtue, can indeed be a blessing for us all, because with such might, we can make the world a better place, shaping it in accordance with our visions, the designs of our dreams. We could harness the full potential of all elements, transcend the limits of this plane, and unlock forever powers unlimited and unprecedented, unleashed upon a world in need of extreme transformation. Truly no effort could be better spend than on such a task as momentous as this undertaking.

W

WALMART

I liked the original version of this thread better ;)

I am at an impasse with power. I envy those who wield it proper.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure what OP means. Power in itself isn't a negative. People who want it dont bother me. People who are inept when given it bother me. So I guess I can't relate.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Not sure what OP means. Power in itself isn't a negative. People who want it dont bother me. People who are inept when given it bother me. So I guess I can't relate.

power for the sake of it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think it's fine. i just detest people who exert their power over others at others' expense.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think it's fine. i just detest people who exert their power over others at others' expense.

Pretty much this. I don't like people whose idea of a healthy relationship is one where they are constantly able to manipulate and control the other person. THAT makes me kind of sick.

That said, I'm probably more the type who wants to be controlled than who wants to control. If anything. ;) Well, not exactly, but I think people who are a little bit controlling and who have the authority and know what they're doing actually make me feel safe, to a certain extent. It's a VERY fine line though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You don't like it because, oftentimes, people who want power want it for sadistic reasons i..e be able to control others, make them do what the powerful person wants against their own will, etc. etc. and that can be a very negative signal in a relationship setting, when you personally do not care about associating yourself with a potentially "powerful" person, who might however mistreat others.

It's not so relevant nowadays in most developed countries, because sadism does not lead to power that easily - it's more likely to lead to prison.

Lark

No, not nausea, anger.

Although there are many rationalisations for anti-authoritarianism, as many as there are for authoritarianism.

When it is not possibly a 99 carrot dumb attempts to achieve a good, when it is power seeking for its only sake and controlling behaviour it is wrong, really wrong.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it depends on what they want the power and control for. For some of them (usually the estxs) I just feel sad you can feel the almost palpable sense of fear. There are -some- out there though that get power to keep those in check. Those I very much admire and try to emulate.

jewelluckystar05

MBTI Type
ESTP
Sure do, I tell the ones that control and manipulate others so people think they're responsible "um, hello, how is getting others to be secretive around you being responsible" and don't back down when they look at me in that taunting 'what are you going to do about it' way.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I'm curious. How do you "deal' with them?

KDude

I kind of dismiss it unless I see it. At worst, ambitious people can be annoying. I dislike the actual ruling elite (oil barons, bluebloods, Dick Cheney). People who direct culture with powerful positions in law, business, and media.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Do you know what your enneatype is? If you are a core 6, then this post makes a lot of sense.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on what the power and control is used for, why they are seeking power and control, and how are they using the power and control they are seeking.